+++ 03/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 1 - Pompey v OUFC+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking on the Pompey fans' forum. They seem more disappointed with their team's performance than we are with ours. They blame Jackett overall, saying he put out the wrong team. They think, or hope, he will start with a stronger team on Monday. In the League, Pompey have been good at home, but not away. However, I think lockdown has changed all this. Home advantage counts for little. I am sure they will be better on Monday. After the first half hour, I didn't rate them much on Friday. Hopefully, we can lift our game too. The side that underperforms in both legs does not deserve to get through. There's not much between the sides. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go to extra time and maybe penalties.

Racism has nothing to do with political opinion. If you don't understand that then you are part of the problem.

They are kneeling to ensure that people keep on talking about it and keep calling out people like you on your boll-ocks.

You are allowed to be a conservative voter and enjoy capitalism and be strongly against racial discrimination.

What you are unintentionally saying by disagreeing with BLM is that black lives do not matter. And that people like Rob Hall, Malachi Napa, Shandon Baptiste, Damien Batt and more do not deserve equal opportunities in life purely based on the colour of their skin.

Mods feel free to move my comment as it is clearly unrelated to the subject but I would have felt guilty by not speaking out.

How about keeping the politics off this board please. ALL LIVES MATTER!
Tomorrow we play the biggest game for years, and with Wycombe probably in the final, we stand a great chance of achieving promotion.
Politics and sport have never mixed, e.g. Apartheid, so focus on us all being Yellow and Blue....COYY

Been looking on the Pompey fans' forum. They seem more disappointed with their team's performance than we are with ours. They blame Jackett overall, saying he put out the wrong team. They think, or hope, he will start with a stronger team on Monday. In the League, Pompey have been good at home, but not away. However, I think lockdown has changed all this. Home advantage counts for little. I am sure they will be better on Monday. After the first half hour, I didn't rate them much on Friday. Hopefully, we can lift our game too. The side that underperforms in both legs does not deserve to get through. There's not much between the sides. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go to extra time and maybe penalties.

I keep seeing that home advantage doesn’t matter now but I’m not so sure, there has to be more than just the fans counting for home advantage surely... I hope so anyway!

With the Long covering Ruffels stuff, I wonder if it is due to the management wanting a full back pushed higher up, especially, on goal kicks, etc to give another outlet and pressure their formation.

I did notice Gorrin going walkabouts early on too which did not help things. Once we had Brannagan pushing on more, we seemed more comfortable.

I keep seeing that home advantage doesn’t matter now but I’m not so sure, there has to be more than just the fans counting for home advantage surely... I hope so anyway!

Practice getting used to the dimensions of the pitch. Away teams having to stay in hotels or face a longer trip on the day. Plus we didn't even get a proper changing room at their place, so assuming it'll be similar at ours.

And I am always happy to.

I appreciate the point that it is simplistic (I have a job and some other hobbies after all. Okay, I have a job).

However, allow me to defend the worth of it. There are two main points I'd draw attention to, and any non-geek can look away now.

Firstly, if Mackie is subbed on when we are not winning, then that should mean our goals for/against without Mackie is worse. Teams that are 3-1 up and called Man City don't need to pile in and score more goals (and they didn't). Plus, the team without Mackie has taken a 3-1 hit in the very crude measure I used, which makes his record look better by comparison.

Secondly, I dispute the use of Mackie primarily to come on and change a game. At this point I'll add that I'm not Opta. I've checked these but they should be used for broad ideas rather than as an exact science.

Mackie has played 15 minutes or less (therefore probably bought on as a late sub) 12 times this year (I assumed a game ran for 96 minutes, to acknowledge that a player brought on in the 90th still has time to score). We have not scored in that time during any of these 12 games. Only twice have we been losing (Sunderland home, Peterborough away). In those two games, we scored none and went on to concede one more against Posh, so I would agree with the sentiment that he doesn't change a game, but he isn't asked to very often. He performs well enough in helping close out a game with an appearance in the final minutes but I have nothing to benchmark against.

I have him playing 60 minutes or more 21 times this season. That accounts for 85% of the time he has been on the pitch. In those minutes, our record is scored 28, conceded 24.

In the same games, I have 360 minutes without Mackie on the pitch. In that time, we have impressively scored 15 and conceded 1. This includes West Ham, where we were 1-0 up and went on to win 4-0. It includes Newcastle, where we were 2-0 down (and went on to lose 3-2). Millwall, where we were 2-0 down and drew 2-2. Bristol Rovers, where we were 1-0 up when Taylor got injured in the first half and lost 3-1.

This might support the idea that we are just far better without him on the pitch. But it certainly gives rise to the question of whether Mackie tires out a defence and Taylor/Agyei/anyone else reap the benefits.

But this is a really difficult area to unpick. The key games (for me) were West Ham, Millwall, Newcastle, Lincoln, and Hartlepool, which together account for 11-1 of the 15-1 differential. I think at this point, it's best for each individual to rely on what they saw with their eyes and gauge how much we benefited from these teams being tired out from having to deal with him for over an hour.

For me, the answer is - not much. We were chasing Newcastle and Millwall and had to attack. Three of the teams highlighted are in higher leagues, and really shouldn't be tired out by any lower league player.

If the plan is to use Mackie to tire out a team and take advantage in the closing minutes, that would only make sense to me in games where we can be sure of drawing by the time he comes off. Accepting a losing position on the basis we can turn it round at the end would be absurd. The only 60+ minute appearances I have us drawing when Mackie comes off are Accrington and Gills away. In both games, we failed to win.

In the games where Mackie plays less than 60 minutes, we have scored 36 and conceded 21 without him on the pitch. I think we are a very good team when we have a striker that can score goals, and should not take the risk of overthinking our game plan.
With all due respect and all your fantastic stats ultimately jamie mackie is a striker which since I can remember is a position on the pitch where you need to score goals. His goal return and assists record is probably worse than obikas and that is saying something. I would much rather play one of the young lads than ensure mackie gets his paycheck but I don't run the clubs finances. He offers nothing in attack runs around like a man on speed doesn't score goals rolls around on the floor for a bit gives a player a shove or two gets booked and that's that you telling me he's a good player

With all due respect and all your fantastic stats ultimately jamie mackie is a striker which since I can remember is a position on the pitch where you need to score goals. His goal return and assists record is probably worse than obikas and that is saying something. I would much rather play one of the young lads than ensure mackie gets his paycheck but I don't run the clubs finances. He offers nothing in attack runs around like a man on speed doesn't score goals rolls around on the floor for a bit gives a player a shove or two gets booked and that's that you telling me he's a good player

He's saying quite the opposite.

Plus we didn't even get a proper changing room at their place, so assuming it'll be similar at ours.

If we have to use different entrances on to the pitch then the North Stand concourse should do :LOL:

With the Long covering Ruffels stuff, I wonder if it is due to the management wanting a full back pushed higher up, especially, on goal kicks, etc to give another outlet and pressure their formation.

I did notice Gorrin going walkabouts early on too which did not help things. Once we had Brannagan pushing on more, we seemed more comfortable.

I think that is exactly what is happening but it does cause us problems. Rotherham is the best example of us getting torn up on our own goal kicks, but Pompey hit the post from one too. A few months back, Burton caused all sorts of problems with runs behind the full backs too.

Tomorrow we play the biggest game for years, and with Wycombe probably in the final, we stand a great chance of achieving promotion.
Politics and sport have never mixed, e.g. Apartheid, so focus on us all being Yellow and Blue....COYY
Saying All Lives Matter in this context is definitely political and is denying the reality of life for BAME people. Best stick to moaning about our young players

Imagine being so stupid that you think "Black Lives Matter" means "Only Black Lives Matter" or "Black Lives Matter more". Yes we know that white lives matter, yes we know that all lives matter, but WLM and ALM didn't exist until BLM did. WLM and ALM is simply there to undermine, disrupt and take the attention away from the BLM movement. If people actually wanted equality, they would support BLM. However there's a portion of society that either feel threatened by equality, or just simply don't want it.

I'd actually quite like to speak to someone who hides behind "All Lives Matter" and ask them for their views on black people, Muslims, homosexuals, refugees ,immigration. The list could go on. You'll then quickly find that actually according to them, all lives don't matter...

But anyway this is a Football thread and I am shitting it for tomorrow. Our full backs are our weakest part in the team, and Sam Long especially needs help to deal with that t**t Curtis.

Imagine being so stupid that you think "Black Lives Matter" means "Only Black Lives Matter" or "Black Lives Matter more". Yes we know that white lives matter, yes we know that all lives matter, but WLM and ALM didn't exist until BLM did. WLM and ALM is simply there to undermine, disrupt and take the attention away from the BLM movement. If people actually wanted equality, they would support BLM. However there's a portion of society that either feel threatened by equality, or just simply don't want it.

I'd actually quite like to speak to someone who hides behind "All Lives Matter" and ask them for their views on black people, Muslims, homosexuals, refugees ,immigration. The list could go on. You'll then quickly find that actually according to them, all lives don't matter...

But anyway this is a Football thread and I am shitting it for tomorrow. Our full backs are our weakest part in the team, and Sam Long especially needs help to deal with that t**t Curtis.
You put it much better than I could mate. Anyway, onwards to Pompey

Can we do away with corner flags, we never blooming score from them, hope i am very wrong tomorrow and we do the impossible and get one, knowing our luck we will get one then have it disallowed because Dickie pushed someone.

Can we do away with corner flags, we never blooming score from them, hope i am very wrong tomorrow and we do the impossible and get one, knowing our luck we will get one then have it disallowed because Dickie pushed someone.

I've got Ruffels as first goal scored at 16-1, convinced he'll get one at a corner! He usually comes round the back, but think that he might get a glancing header by making a run towards the near post.

Singha's all round if he does!!!

So are you saying it was wrong for sporting organisations to boycott a country that treated black people like second class citizens? That's not very 'all lives matter' of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom