Home Match Build Up 05/04/2021 L1 OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn’t agree more. Blackpool, Northampton and now Sunderland, three northern gritty teams, where one point in nine has most likely cost us. We now have rely on others slipping up.
Five teams up there have changed managers, Ipswich, Doncaster, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Charlton, all better placed than us

Are we classing Northampon as northern now???

As for the 5 teams who have changed manager, I'd happily bet that we finish above 3 of them!

But as for Accrington, a big win is on the cards to give us plenty to fight for and wake up a few on here who already think the season is over!

I think the season is done for us purely because we’ve been to inconsistent and have left ourselves to much to do now BUT I will quite happily take somebody tell me they told me so on may the 8th if we are in the play off to be honest I’m just hoping that come August we can all get down the kassam and cheer the boys on

You look at the table and this year I would say last place in the play offs will be 76 PTS it doesn't give us alot of leeway . It's a must win and we need some run I just can't see it. We've got a great team spirit but you need more. See how it goes the next few games then give Elechi a game or two and the new Irish lad and a few others .Get the planning ready for next season .
You're right, you do need more.

You need a manager that goes out and tries to beat teams like Northampton. If only we had one of those.

Watching Southampton v Burnley and with both lining up 4 4 2. Burnley defender hoofs a ball forward one striker brings it down, his colleague is up with play and smashes the pass into the goal. Couple of minutes later Southampton pull one back with two forwards combining to lay off to each other. Lovely to watch and surely an indication that the old 4 4 2 can still be effective. We have Taylor and Agyei (at a push, with some imagination and fewer pies Winnall as well) so why can't it be tried?

Watching Southampton v Burnley and with both lining up 4 4 2. Burnley defender hoofs a ball forward one striker brings it down, his colleague is up with play and smashes the pass into the goal. Couple of minutes later Southampton pull one back with two forwards combining to lay off to each other. Lovely to watch and surely an indication that the old 4 4 2 can still be effective. We have Taylor and Agyei (at a push, with some imagination and fewer pies Winnall as well) so why can't it be tried?

Maybe it only works against other teams who play 4 4 2.

Because you have to keep doing the same thing over and over again. It works sometimes, so why would you ever want to have a go at anything else?
Thing is, we are allowed 5 subs. We have 8 games left. We have a very outside chance of the play offs, being realistic, probably little chance so, would it hurt so much to switch things around in those 8 games? We have, surely, the options to try, if it doesn't bring anything, switch the formation.

Thing is, we are allowed 5 subs. We have 8 games left. We have a very outside chance of the play offs, being realistic, probably little chance so, would it hurt so much to switch things around in those 8 games? We have, surely, the options to try, if it doesn't bring anything, switch the formation.
You are of course right. I was being more than a tad sarcastic. I just think that KR is (in this regard) very much a one-trick pony. He has a preferred way of his teams playing and that's it.

I am not sure why people think the Accrington game is some sort of foregone conclusion. They are two points behind us with a game in hand - so near enough on a par with us. They will have faint playoff hopes of their own.

There is nothing wrong with 4-4-2 especially at our level. It is easy to keep shape and everyone knows exactly what is expected of them. We even got promoted from this league with it and two very good defensive midfielders!!
Problem is its out of 'fashion' and you are branded a footballing dinosaur for even considering it.
FWIW I think we have the players to make it work well. One up top doesn't work for me. Taylor looks a very lonely figure at times.

Could work - I mentioned in another thread, in Oz the FFA curriculum mandates 433 for all youth soccer. One of our coaches started playing 442, won a few games because the other teams couldn’t play against it, but then someone noticed and gave him a rap over the knuckles and he switched back.

I reckon Man City would win our league with record points whatever formation they played, so while formations are important they can get a bit over rated. Whether you play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 it’s about good players getting on the ball and making chances regularly over 46 league games without giving away to many at the other end.

I doubt we would of been much more successful with any other formation as our players are just not quite good enough for the play offs, there are (at least) 6 better teams than us, over 46 games that will show up, it’s not a cup competition where you can over perform on the day.

Surely the time for throwing some shapes has passed? We are in the last chance saloon and it’s last orders at the bar, If we go and change system at this late stage and it all goes Pete Tong, who is coming off the bench to save our season... Winnall? Robbie!?
No! We have to stick to the plan and hope we have enough to get the job done, with a last throw worthy enough to throw in.

I’ve put this down as a win but it’s a game we could lose, Accrington are canny bastards and will be striving to atone for their 0-7. Even we managed a draw somewhere decent after the Wigan game. Cue hysteria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom