Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/03/20 Shrewsbury Town v OUFC +++

• Thread starter Shropshire U
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought the experience levels of the two managers showed yesterday. Robinson got his changes bang on. Ricketts took off 2 of the 3 players who were putting us on the back foot (Cummings, Lang) and invited more and more pressure. Great comeback in the end, Ruffels has developed into an excellent full back for this level.

Thought the experience levels of the two managers showed yesterday. Robinson got his changes bang on. Ricketts took off 2 of the 3 players who were putting us on the back foot (Cummings, Lang) and invited more and more pressure. Great comeback in the end, Ruffels has developed into an excellent full back for this level.

IMO, next year, he should be ( and it’s being spoke of) club captain. A role model on and off the pitch and a great servant to Ox too. He’s always showing an interest in the youth side of things too. An quietly spoke of, Ox legend in the making.

We've had Mous, Dickie, Mackie, Baptiste, Brannagan (?) as captain this season without Ruffels getting a look in. So although it's possible that none of the above may be regulars next season, I'd have thought that others would be higher up the pecking order to take the armband.

It wasn't that long ago that some were saying our full backs weren't good enough and we needed a better left back. Ruffels is much better than that and a great servant to the club, but too quiet for captain I'd suggest.

We've had Mous, Dickie, Mackie, Baptiste, Brannagan (?) as captain this season without Ruffels getting a look in. So although it's possible that none of the above may be regulars next season, I'd have thought that others would be higher up the pecking order to take the armband.

It wasn't that long ago that some were saying our full backs weren't good enough and we needed a better left back. Ruffels is much better than that and a great servant to the club, but too quiet for captain I'd suggest.

He wasn’t that great again yesterday, but scored the winner.

Like I’ve said before, he’s a great guy/servant to the club, but I still believe we need to improve in our full back positions.

There I’ve said it even after a great result again yesterday, and Ruffels getting the winner.

Now for the back lash!

Last edited:
Club Captain is very different to on field captain. It’s a role and where all at the club look up to you. Josh is a great role model for all at the club. Hence the thought process behind this.

I don’t think there would be many arguing against this.

Out of interest, with Ruffels on to surpass 300 appearances for us should he be with next season (on 265 according to Rage On and will be into the 270s should he play for the remaining nine games and possible play off matches) who was the last player to play for us with over 300 U’s appearances?

I don’t think there would be many arguing against this.

Out of interest, with Ruffels on to surpass 300 appearances for us should he be with next season (on 265 according to Rage On and will be into the 270s should he play for the remaining nine games and possible play off matches) who was the last player to play for us with over 300 U’s appearances?
I guess that the club are lucky to have a number who could be club captain.
Mousinho seems the obvious choice at the moment (Mackie seems to be seen as a 'leader' behind the scene)
Ruffels seems a good respected player, but at the moment Mous seems the obvious one?

My favourite thing about Ruffels is when you go back and watch highlights of games from those nothing pre-MApp years in L2, seeing him pop up and thinking, wow - he was really here that long ago? It's so rare at this level to find one player who has been at a club this long and I really like it!

My favourite thing about Ruffels is when you go back and watch highlights of games from those nothing pre-MApp years in L2, seeing him pop up and thinking, wow - he was really here that long ago? It's so rare at this level to find one player who has been at a club this long and I really like it!

He's already a legend for me.

All this talk of Ruffels provides another opportunity to reshare the funny description of him in the recent Ipswich Town blog Tripping Over the Ball...

“The corner affords a close-up of Oxford number three Josh Ruffles [sic] who seems to have quite a large head which, with his muscular upper chest gives him the look of a very big clasp nail or tack as his body tapers down to a point around his ankles.”

All this talk of Ruffels provides another opportunity to reshare the funny description of him in the recent Ipswich Town blog Tripping Over the Ball...

“The corner affords a close-up of Oxford number three Josh Ruffles [sic] who seems to have quite a large head which, with his muscular upper chest gives him the look of a very big clasp nail or tack as his body tapers down to a point around his ankles.”
I don’t remember writing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom