Away Match Build Up +++ 07/08/2021 L1 : Cambridge United v OUFC +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would everyone's starting 11 be then? If all players are fit, I think I'd go:

Stevens
Long Moore Thorniley Seddon
Brannagan Gorrin McGuane
Williams Taylor Whyte

Typing that out has really made me realise how much depth we've got in the final third. Any of Henry, Sykes, Holland, Agyei, Forde, Cooper, or Bodmin could quite easily start instead.

I know a few players haven't had the best of pre-seasons owing to self-isolation, so that could impact things.

If McGaune isn't fully fit I'd go for Sykes instead. I suppose Forde will deputise for Long if he's not ready. I'd also like Agyei to be second choice striker in front of Winnall; I really hope he gets more game time this season.
If fit, this is my 11. If McGuane isn’t quite up to it then I would like Sykes to play in the more advanced CM role, with Brannagan and Gorrin sitting behind him. Williams or Holland, I don’t really mind. I think Holland has more going forward, so Williams can come on when we’re 4-0 up! 😅

BF72654A-255E-411F-A6DF-E2964F55D99C.jpeg

If fit, this is my 11. If McGuane isn’t quite up to it then I would like Sykes to play in the more advanced CM role, with Brannagan and Gorrin sitting behind him. Williams or Holland, I don’t really mind. I think Holland has more going forward, so Williams can come on when we’re 4-0 up! 😅

View attachment 6889
Maybe this is nitpicking (I like it overall) but we don’t really play that formation?

The CDM usually sits very deep and central, almost dropping in between the centre backs at times. Then there are two CMs ahead of him.

Maybe this is nitpicking (I like it overall) but we don’t really play that formation?

The CDM usually sits very deep and central, almost dropping in between the centre backs at times. Then there are two CMs ahead of him.
06ED8C66-4189-4A75-95E6-691E523A7550.jpeg
To be fair, I wasn’t paying much attention to the formation but you’re right, that looks even better! 😅

I think a few players will be rested due to their Covid infections and lack of complete pre-season due to isolating. Anyone who didn't play on Saturday I'd guess won't start this coming Saturday. In which case I reckon the team will be:

Stevens
Forde Moore Thornily Seddon
Brannagan
Henry Sykes
Williams Taylor Holland

If all were fit I'd bring in Long, Gorrin and Whyte instead of Forde, Sykes and Williams and push CamBran forward. Still a very good 11, and a bench with Whyte, Agyei, Winnall, Bodin, Cooper, McGuane, Gorrin, Long, Mous, McNally, Easty is a ridiculously good bench where 4 will miss out completely. What the hell is our squad depth! With two more potentially to come in, we could literally have a L1 level bench (minus keeper) left out of the matchday squad every week!

I suppose today's lineup against Barnet will be a strong indication as to how Robinson intends to lineup on Saturday. Hopefully the likes of Long and McGuane get a good 75 minutes in.

I think a few players will be rested due to their Covid infections and lack of complete pre-season due to isolating. Anyone who didn't play on Saturday I'd guess won't start this coming Saturday. In which case I reckon the team will be:

Stevens
Forde Moore Thornily Seddon
Brannagan
Henry Sykes
Williams Taylor Holland

If all were fit I'd bring in Long, Gorrin and Whyte instead of Forde, Sykes and Williams and push CamBran forward. Still a very good 11, and a bench with Whyte, Agyei, Winnall, Bodin, Cooper, McGuane, Gorrin, Long, Mous, McNally, Easty is a ridiculously good bench where 4 will miss out completely. What the hell is our squad depth! With two more potentially to come in, we could literally have a L1 level bench (minus keeper) left out of the matchday squad every week!
I really, really hope we don't rush Long back in. I think we maybe did that at time last year and that just meant he kept getting those recurrent injuries at the end of the season. Forde should be plenty good enough against Cambridge and Burton. In fact, with Whyte on that side, he may even work better: the reason we struggled so much last year without Long was, imo, that the players who lined up at RW for us (Henry, Lee) were more 'inside forwards' than out-and-out wingers. They needed Long on the overlap to create the space for them to thrive. Now, Whyte pinning their LB with the threat of getting in behind might leave space in front of the LB that Forde can fill and whip balls in from, which is his clear strength.

It's going to be fascinating to see how all our players fit together this year.

What would everyone's starting 11 be then? If all players are fit, I think I'd go:

Stevens
Long Moore Thorniley Seddon
Brannagan Gorrin McGuane
Williams Taylor Whyte

Typing that out has really made me realise how much depth we've got in the final third. Any of Henry, Sykes, Holland, Agyei, Forde, Cooper, or Bodmin could quite easily start instead.

I know a few players haven't had the best of pre-seasons owing to self-isolation, so that could impact things.

If McGaune isn't fully fit I'd go for Sykes instead. I suppose Forde will deputise for Long if he's not ready. I'd also like Agyei to be second choice striker in front of Winnall; I really hope he gets more game time this season.
Think it’s very unlikely I’ll be playing but good chance Bodin will be

I can't remember us ever being this prepared with our squad of players before the first game of the season! There's always some activity after the season starts but it seems like we're in a good place this time and we can actually field players in their 'proper' positions for the first game (touch wood!)

If you’re watching the game on a stream, you aren’t watching (Insert Sponsor Here) Soccer Saturday on Sky. The system works.

Looking forward to Saturday. Got an ex-colleague who lives a mile from the ground and is letting me park on his drive for the afternoon. Cheeky bit of lunch at his before waddling to the stadium, full of barbecue ribs. Last time I went to his house I ran over a cat on the approach to a roundabout near Bedford.

Happy days are here again.

If you’re watching the game on a stream, you aren’t watching (Insert Sponsor Here) Soccer Saturday on Sky. The system works.

Looking forward to Saturday. Got an ex-colleague who lives a mile from the ground and is letting me park on his drive for the afternoon. Cheeky bit of lunch at his before waddling to the stadium, full of barbecue ribs. Last time I went to his house I ran over a cat on the approach to a roundabout near Bedford.

Happy days are here again.
I'd think he'd rather your brought sausages or burgers for the BBQ, not cull the local domestic animal population.

I can't remember us ever being this prepared with our squad of players before the first game of the season! There's always some activity after the season starts but it seems like we're in a good place this time and we can actually field players in their 'proper' positions for the first game (touch wood!)
Yes it's all looking good. Really optimistic, excited to see the new team. Of course all it will take is a couple of quickfire Cambridge goals and it'll be all doom and gloom again!

I suppose today's lineup against Barnet will be a strong indication as to how Robinson intends to lineup on Saturday. Hopefully the likes of Long and McGuane get a good 75 minutes in.
When are we playing Barnet? I can't find any information about it on the official page. I assume it's behind closed doors.

The commentator on Saturday against Brizzle said that games would be available to watch on ifollow for the coming season, because I made a comment to someone else watching that I hadn't seen that confirmed anywhere. Flipping well hope he is right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom