Home Match Day Thread +++ 11/1/2020 OUFC V Rotherham United L1 +++

Our tactics have been found out for a few weeks now since the start of December. We have got away with it a lot of times with our players generally being better than the opposition. But the chances created have definitely dried up. Packing midfield, long balls particularly over/towards the full backs, a higher press against our defenders and stopping our wide players crossing from dangerous areas seems to have scuppered the successful plan we had earlier in the season. And this must have been recognised by KR as the introduction of Holland and Browne does signify an alternative to the tactics.

I can't help but feel yesterday with the really strong wind towards the JS Stand we could have done with attacking the other way first half. Against such a direct side we were always going to struggle to get the ball clear from defence in those conditions and it was all about the team kicking that way first half getting a decent lead to half time and defending it second half.

We got to this position playing good attacking free flowing football which relied on Fosu and Branagan being on top form, Gorrin not getting booked and the full backs crossing from the edge of the penalty area. None of these are now happening so it is now down to the management team to find the right mix to get us having more opportunities to score and Holland and Browne might just be the right signings to do this. The players are good enough, the system just needs to be right and we might need to grind out a few results for 2 or 3 more weeks yet before the right new formula is found. We have a bit of a freeroll towards the end of the season now to try and make the plays off with absolutely no worry that we can be relegated.
Agree with this, I think for a little while we’ve been coasting on having a rock solid defence and relying on moments of brilliance from Henry, Fosu or Baptiste to nick us goals. Hell even against Southend, one of the worst L1 teams in recent times, at least two of our goals came from their defenders literally passing it to one of ours in front of their goal, not our incisive forward play breaking them up. The fact that Taylor is enduring a bit of a drought is perhaps testament to the fact that our ability to create clear chances has notably diminished. I agree that it’s not a problem with system, and I hope we don’t ditch the 41221 that has been working so well, but I think it is a problem of personnel: we’ve become one dimensional, and the addition of Holland and Browne should change that.

that said, I’m feeling slightly better about the result than I was last night. We lost to the team top of the division at the moment, and we won’t have too many other games against teams as strong as them. The fact that we also came out feeling slightly frustrated that we didn’t overturn a three goal deficit against such a good team in one half, when we had the chances to do so, also says a lot. It’s a frustrating and disappointing result, but one with clear lessons from which we will hopefully learn. We’re going through a slight blip at the moment - every team will do - and we will improve.

Well I’ve had another watch of the game in some detail. I agree with a lot that has been written here but trying as always to organise my thoughts into some kind of sense.

That Rotherham side has been built with a focus and sense of purpose that rivals/exceeds our own. Every player is a giant. Every player is an athlete, quick and strong. They attack directly and put high crosses into the box, which is a complete contrast to our pass-and-control approach.

For six months, we have played by stacking the midfield. Our central three are joined by Henry and often one of Fosu or Ruffels, with the other providing width to complement Cadden playing as an RM. The weakness, pretty clearly now, has been that you can break with pace down the flanks whilst our RB and LB are out of position. Gorrin took a yellow card very early on, because Rotherham exploited the space left when Sam Long went to their byline and OUFC lost possession. Their two forwards were willing to do the hard running between CB and FB. MK Dons actually did something similar – but to a lower standard – in choosing to use their forwards for this rather than their wingers, most of the time.

As has been much remarked, they were also willing to commit three people to the edge of our area for goal kicks and force us to play it long. They scored from consecutive OUFC goal kicks, taken long towards Ruffels. The first directly exploited the space behind Ruffels, and that familiar weakness. As Shaun Rice said, Gorrin was in a position to make a similar challenge/foul, but backed off because of his booking.

Both of their first two goals came from moves that were three passes, and 12/14 seconds each. They are very similar goals in a lot of respects. You could certainly argue that Eastwood needed to be more aggressive, or even more passive, in both as he ends up in no-man’s land. For the first goal, no Oxford player has any idea where the striker is. It’s worth noting they were also guilty of doing this with Sterling in the Man City game. Man City also scored their first goal exploiting the space when Ruffels got dragged into midfield, and bringing Moore out to the left back position. The difference in quality might be too much for these to be worthwhile comparisons, but I hope Oxford look at it.

Rotherham had done their homework, then. Oxford were also guilty of trying to play them at their own game. In the first half, Long and Sykes had some joy combining down the right flank, but they launched high balls into the box that are meat and drink for the Rotherham team. It is worth noting they started Wiles at RB and Olosunde at LB, but they switched this up in the first half. Olosunde at RB was excellent for my money, playing a defensive role that involved cutting out a number of Ruffels passes, and also standing up to Fosu pretty much every single time. The best player on the pitch, I thought.

It took six minutes of watching highlight footage to see how Rotherham scored from set pieces, particularly through their ability to win the second ball and get a second cross in, and I know nothing about football. I would love to know why we tried to pass the ball out from their corner for the third, and I think we limit our options severely when we bring all 11 players back.

In the second half we rightly made changes, and I think we got to see what Oxford might look like post-Cadden. Ruffels and Long (in particular) played slightly deeper and they tried to play through balls on the ground for wingers to run on to. This helped with the goal kick problem too, because it left less space for Rotherham to exploit. However, Rotherham definitely tired/eased up a bit too.

Browne and Holland ran at Rotherham with more directness, and Rotherham were much less comfortable with this because it didn’t play to their strengths. We played similarly when we had Whyte and Browne in the team last year, and I have to say I think it’s very exciting football. I hope there is more to come.

Taylor made a real impact too, I thought. Not just as a goal threat, but also in dropping deeper. With willing runners in the positions behind him, he could play some really nice lay-offs and he also looked to keep going afterwards, getting himself into dangerous positions. Twice he controlled the ball with his chest, making a forward pass. As he is shorter than most defenders, these balls are played at a really awkward height for them to deal with, and it’s a nice little move. We also tried a couple of backheels to onrushing attackers, which are fun to watch.

I will add the keeper did a superb job closing down the angle for his best chance. I’ve included a screen grab below. Taylor didn’t take a heavy touch, or an undue amount of time before shooting, and I think the only way he can really score is by drilling it in the top right corner. Tricky.

1578833244862.png

At the time, I thought Sykes and Long struggled. A rewatch, and I completely revise my opinion. Long was tested a lot, early doors, but the main Rotherham chances came down the opposite flank. I think both players played their game well. The problem I see is that a team without Taylor and Henry is just missing too many goals. I would like to see Taylor being given a run in the team, and two from Holland/Fosu/Browne always being on the pitch wherever possible.

We certainly got it wrong, and we deserved to lose. It is not the end of the world, there are plenty of lessons to learn and I think our approach to games is about to change anyway. Looking forward to Ipswich.

where were all these Managers when we hadn't just lost a game of football?

Their first goal was absolute class, a sublime pass right on the button and rather than seeking to blame Easty accept it for what it was

The tv pundits have to spout shi* and try to be critical about every goal scored or they would have no job.

After yesterday’s debacle, I’m quite happy to get going with a bit more wedding news. Is the venue agreed? Do you approve of the son in law to be? Does he like football? Who does he support? All of this and more can while away the hours until we get back to winning ways! Not being nosy or anythin.
steventon church for the wedding
Venue Oxford spires
Staying the night so a big post wedding breakfast
Happy with the wedding
Approve of the Son in law to be
Cost??????

Well I’ve had another watch of the game in some detail. I agree with a lot that has been written here but trying as always to organise my thoughts into some kind of sense.

That Rotherham side has been built with a focus and sense of purpose that rivals/exceeds our own. Every player is a giant. Every player is an athlete, quick and strong. They attack directly and put high crosses into the box, which is a complete contrast to our pass-and-control approach.

For six months, we have played by stacking the midfield. Our central three are joined by Henry and often one of Fosu or Ruffels, with the other providing width to complement Cadden playing as an RM. The weakness, pretty clearly now, has been that you can break with pace down the flanks whilst our RB and LB are out of position. Gorrin took a yellow card very early on, because Rotherham exploited the space left when Sam Long went to their byline and OUFC lost possession. Their two forwards were willing to do the hard running between CB and FB. MK Dons actually did something similar – but to a lower standard – in choosing to use their forwards for this rather than their wingers, most of the time.

As has been much remarked, they were also willing to commit three people to the edge of our area for goal kicks and force us to play it long. They scored from consecutive OUFC goal kicks, taken long towards Ruffels. The first directly exploited the space behind Ruffels, and that familiar weakness. As Shaun Rice said, Gorrin was in a position to make a similar challenge/foul, but backed off because of his booking.

Both of their first two goals came from moves that were three passes, and 12/14 seconds each. They are very similar goals in a lot of respects. You could certainly argue that Eastwood needed to be more aggressive, or even more passive, in both as he ends up in no-man’s land. For the first goal, no Oxford player has any idea where the striker is. It’s worth noting they were also guilty of doing this with Sterling in the Man City game. Man City also scored their first goal exploiting the space when Ruffels got dragged into midfield, and bringing Moore out to the left back position. The difference in quality might be too much for these to be worthwhile comparisons, but I hope Oxford look at it.

Rotherham had done their homework, then. Oxford were also guilty of trying to play them at their own game. In the first half, Long and Sykes had some joy combining down the right flank, but they launched high balls into the box that are meat and drink for the Rotherham team. It is worth noting they started Wiles at RB and Olosunde at LB, but they switched this up in the first half. Olosunde at RB was excellent for my money, playing a defensive role that involved cutting out a number of Ruffels passes, and also standing up to Fosu pretty much every single time. The best player on the pitch, I thought.

It took six minutes of watching highlight footage to see how Rotherham scored from set pieces, particularly through their ability to win the second ball and get a second cross in, and I know nothing about football. I would love to know why we tried to pass the ball out from their corner for the third, and I think we limit our options severely when we bring all 11 players back.

In the second half we rightly made changes, and I think we got to see what Oxford might look like post-Cadden. Ruffels and Long (in particular) played slightly deeper and they tried to play through balls on the ground for wingers to run on to. This helped with the goal kick problem too, because it left less space for Rotherham to exploit. However, Rotherham definitely tired/eased up a bit too.

Browne and Holland ran at Rotherham with more directness, and Rotherham were much less comfortable with this because it didn’t play to their strengths. We played similarly when we had Whyte and Browne in the team last year, and I have to say I think it’s very exciting football. I hope there is more to come.

Taylor made a real impact too, I thought. Not just as a goal threat, but also in dropping deeper. With willing runners in the positions behind him, he could play some really nice lay-offs and he also looked to keep going afterwards, getting himself into dangerous positions. Twice he controlled the ball with his chest, making a forward pass. As he is shorter than most defenders, these balls are played at a really awkward height for them to deal with, and it’s a nice little move. We also tried a couple of backheels to onrushing attackers, which are fun to watch.

I will add the keeper did a superb job closing down the angle for his best chance. I’ve included a screen grab below. Taylor didn’t take a heavy touch, or an undue amount of time before shooting, and I think the only way he can really score is by drilling it in the top right corner. Tricky.

View attachment 2730

At the time, I thought Sykes and Long struggled. A rewatch, and I completely revise my opinion. Long was tested a lot, early doors, but the main Rotherham chances came down the opposite flank. I think both players played their game well. The problem I see is that a team without Taylor and Henry is just missing too many goals. I would like to see Taylor being given a run in the team, and two from Holland/Fosu/Browne always being on the pitch wherever possible.

We certainly got it wrong, and we deserved to lose. It is not the end of the world, there are plenty of lessons to learn and I think our approach to games is about to change anyway. Looking forward to Ipswich.
Very good analysis as always. I'm in a very small minority that thinks Mackie does have something to other, but without Henry and Brannagan/Baptiste being off the pace, we looked poor. Taylor would have given a different dimension from the start which may have given us an outlet worth using.

Around this stage last season we set up with Long and Ruffels as more solid full backs with Whyte and Browne giving the pace on the wings. I think you're right that we'll look to do the same with this run-in, and if we get the same results as last season then we'll still go up. I'm not sure where that leaves Henry, maybe in the midfield 3 or playing off Taylor.

Still plenty to look forward to, and I think we'll see a very different team against Ipswich.

Even with the benefit of a night’s sleep I’m struggling to understand anybody who doesn’t think the negative team selection and tactics had anything to do with getting smashed in the first half. We completely waved the white flag before the game even began and essentially said we wanted to try to contain them for 60 minutes, at home, and then try to pinch it. Not only had we already beaten them this season, and deservedly so, but most teams in the division this season refer to us as one of, if not the best side in the league. So why the hell worry about anybody in a home game on the back of a week off? Why give them that much respect when a win could put you back into the top two? Act like a big club, as has been asked of others. If you want to go up automatically you have to be brave enough to back yourself to be better than the teams you’re competing with. Certainly at home.

On a separate note, this idea that Mackie gives you experience and know how, and that the ball sticks upfield with him or he can win lots of headers, is a myth. He gives away free kicks for fun around the centre circle because he is always tussling with centre backs, and trying to roll them and grapple them and make them go over the back of him as he can’t jump, and as a result it gives them an opportunity to punt long into the box. If you’re trying to avoid teams pumping long balls at you, he is the player who gives away tonnes of opportunities to do so. That’s why even against Lincoln on Boxing Day it was awful to see him coming on when they’d put Akinde up top and were starting to put more and more crosses in as it was. Taylor wins more headers than him as he has a much better jump despite being maybe an inch shorter - two max - but he also poses more of a threat as he has clever movement and can run in behind, which means defenders naturally drop back and let us gain a few extra yards. That is actually what relieves pressure, not someone running about and bashing into people. It might seem good fun to watch and people might think that running around smashing players is a sign of commitment, but on a practical level it does nothing but concede possession and lead to you having less shots as a team. Even in the Hartlepool game it was 1-1 until Taylor came on for him, and then they crumbled as we became more fluid, mobile and potent, and there was a bit more space as the backline took two or three steps back. If anyone wants to talk about losing the midfield battle, let’s talk about how the opposition defence can push right up into it and squeeze the space, and therefore the players ahead of them can pick up more loose balls. Mackie stops us having shots because the defenders can push right up the pitch into the back of him, knowing not only will he likely foul them, but that he’s never going to turn them, or get on his bike and run the channels or in behind if the ball is laid off. This weird rotation between him and one of the top three strikers in the division has got to stop. Unless Taylor is markedly fatigued or not 100% fit he has to start every game. If he is fit, he must start. No sentiment.

And before anybody cries and craps their pants, I’m not making anybody a scapegoat. I’m giving an opinion and explaining why I hold it. Nobody has to burst into tears over it. It’s going to be okay.

What I do hope is that this all means the starting lineup against Ipswich will be a bit more mobile and actually possess some sort of pace, and show a bit more intent to try to win. I think we can win the game and start putting pressure on the top two spots again. There’s nobody in this division who should put fear into us on our own turf - or any division above as we’ve already seen this season. Let’s take it to them.

Not sure how much money is left in the kitty but after yesterday its apparent that we still need 3 players - CF, LB and RB if we do indeed want to be serious about promotion.

As much as Mackie is a great presence to have around the place, and as much as Robinson defended him after the game, he was horribly exposed yesterday. Robinson said he went with Mackie to start as he wanted him to be the pivot to bring other attacking players into the game ie. be the ‘target man‘. Now, apologies if Im wrong but has Mackie ever been an out and out target man in his career before or is it a role hes adjusting to now he’s getting on a bit? Shouldnt a team going for promotion to the championship have a proven CF with a goal threat to play that role? Someone who can hold the ball up, rough up CBs within the laws of the game and also get on the end of balls into the box and work the keeper? I didnt hear the interview but someone has posted that Mackie said something along the lines of his role didnt involve scoring goals? I dont think theres many ‘No 9s’ who’d say they weren’t there to score goals. And before anyone mentions Ryan Taylor, I dont think theres many who could argue that he didnt bring much more to the team than Mackie does with his intelligent link up play. All this might sound harsh but theres no room for sentiment if we want to be successful. Jim Smith was ruthless when an upgrade was needed - quickly bringing in the likes of Vinter and Biggins and just as quickly jettisoning them for Aldridge and Hamilton. Unless theres an injury issue we’re not being told about Taylor should now be starting every week despite who the opposition are and a proper target man brought in to help with goal scoring responsibilities but who brings something different than Taylor - height and strength, in other words an upgrade on Mackie.

Very good analysis as always. I'm in a very small minority that thinks Mackie does have something to other, but without Henry and Brannagan/Baptiste being off the pace, we looked poor. Taylor would have given a different dimension from the start which may have given us an outlet worth using.

Around this stage last season we set up with Long and Ruffels as more solid full backs with Whyte and Browne giving the pace on the wings. I think you're right that we'll look to do the same with this run-in, and if we get the same results as last season then we'll still go up. I'm not sure where that leaves Henry, maybe in the midfield 3 or playing off Taylor.

Still plenty to look forward to, and I think we'll see a very different team against Ipswich.

I'm not sure Taylor would have offered much different in the 1st half as the wind dominated it so much and Brannagan*/Baptiste weren't playing very well.

*Brannagan may well not be fully fit but don't know.

View attachment 2730

Their keeper kept going whereas Eastwood froze and didn't know what to do, credit to their keeper for having the forethought to keep going and make Taylor's life hard.

Agree on missing Henry, there is a level of consistency and quality in his game that Sykes is still working towards. As for Brannagan, he clearly can't be trusted to be honest about his fitness, so needs to managed more in terms of when he is actually ready vs when he says he is.

Ipswich really needs a different midfield - I'd rest Brannagan and perhaps bring Kelly in for his first start. I'd leave Holland on the bench for Tuesday, but he is a great option to stretch the game. Browne should start as he offers us something we've lacked in recent weeks - maybe rest Fosu too.

Around this stage last season we set up with Long and Ruffels as more solid full backs with Whyte and Browne giving the pace on the wings.

About this time 12 months ago Jordan Graham was introduced into the side, Baptiste had done his knee ligaments.
Hanson was also involved in the first team at RB. Mousinho was in centre mid.
We drew 2-2 at Fleetwood this very weekend last year and then beat Portsmouth. Ahmed Kashi made his first
appearance as he came off the bench v Pompey.

We then should have beaten Barnsley at Home after squandering a 2-0 lead
at the end of January 2019. Sinclair then came in at Burton early February.

Write us off if you want to but I feel that once we sort out the problems of teams pressing us we will be ok.
With just over half the season gone teams will watch how we play and in the past few matches they have pressed us but with a bit of good fortune against Wycombe and Lincoln we got away with it. When we play away it is slightly different because the home team do attack more and I thought we were excellent against Wimbledon.
Rotherham are an extremely good team who have kept most of their players and I fancy them to win the league so I was always expecting us to draw at best in this game.
If we continue to play out from the back and I hope we do we could learn from what Man City did to us and get players really close to the goal keeper from goal kicks. If they want to man mark it means Gorrin or Brannigan should have a little more space in which to receive the ball.
I’m sure KR and the back room team will know this but let’s not get too disheartened by this, we are not playing the likes of Rotherham every week.Before Rotherham and Ipswich I would have settled for two draws and even now a draw against Ipswich will not be a bad result but if we can nick 3 points we can move on with even more confidence

steventon church for the wedding
Venue Oxford spires
Staying the night so a big post wedding breakfast
Happy with the wedding
Approve of the Son in law to be
Cost??????
Thanks for the info . If anyone drops out (not the bride or groom obviously) I’ll gladly pop in!

Their first goal was absolute class, a sublime pass right on the button and rather than seeking to blame Easty accept it for what it was

The tv pundits have to spout shi* and try to be critical about every goal scored or they would have no job.
My manager analysis of the goals.

First goal - Ruffels out of position and Moore didn't close down enough to stop the cross (he could have done), Dickie then just didn't look to see where Vasells was running.

Second goal - Dickie again too easily lost by Vasells. Eastwood should never ever have come for the ball, but Dickie should have dealt with it.

Third goal - Moore should just hace cleared it!

While it was men against boys in the first half, we could have done much better with all 3 goals, and can't really remember Rotherham having other good chances.

Taylor and Browne should both have started... And that's not hindsight, just playing the best players.

Even with the benefit of a night’s sleep I’m struggling to understand anybody who doesn’t think the negative team selection and tactics had anything to do with getting smashed in the first half. We completely waved the white flag before the game even began and essentially said we wanted to try to contain them for 60 minutes, at home, and then try to pinch it. Not only had we already beaten them this season, and deservedly so, but most teams in the division this season refer to us as one of, if not the best side in the league. So why the hell worry about anybody in a home game on the back of a week off? Why give them that much respect when a win could put you back into the top two? Act like a big club, as has been asked of others. If you want to go up automatically you have to be brave enough to back yourself to be better than the teams you’re competing with. Certainly at home.

On a separate note, this idea that Mackie gives you experience and know how, and that the ball sticks upfield with him or he can win lots of headers, is a myth. He gives away free kicks for fun around the centre circle because he is always tussling with centre backs, and trying to roll them and grapple them and make them go over the back of him as he can’t jump, and as a result it gives them an opportunity to punt long into the box. If you’re trying to avoid teams pumping long balls at you, he is the player who gives away tonnes of opportunities to do so. That’s why even against Lincoln on Boxing Day it was awful to see him coming on when they’d put Akinde up top and were starting to put more and more crosses in as it was. Taylor wins more headers than him as he has a much better jump despite being maybe an inch shorter - two max - but he also poses more of a threat as he has clever movement and can run in behind, which means defenders naturally drop back and let us gain a few extra yards. That is actually what relieves pressure, not someone running about and bashing into people. It might seem good fun to watch and people might think that running around smashing players is a sign of commitment, but on a practical level it does nothing but concede possession and lead to you having less shots as a team. Even in the Hartlepool game it was 1-1 until Taylor came on for him, and then they crumbled as we became more fluid, mobile and potent, and there was a bit more space as the backline took two or three steps back. If anyone wants to talk about losing the midfield battle, let’s talk about how the opposition defence can push right up into it and squeeze the space, and therefore the players ahead of them can pick up more loose balls. Mackie stops us having shots because the defenders can push right up the pitch into the back of him, knowing not only will he likely foul them, but that he’s never going to turn them, or get on his bike and run the channels or in behind if the ball is laid off. This weird rotation between him and one of the top three strikers in the division has got to stop. Unless Taylor is markedly fatigued or not 100% fit he has to start every game. If he is fit, he must start. No sentiment.

And before anybody cries and craps their pants, I’m not making anybody a scapegoat. I’m giving an opinion and explaining why I hold it. Nobody has to burst into tears over it. It’s going to be okay.

What I do hope is that this all means the starting lineup against Ipswich will be a bit more mobile and actually possess some sort of pace, and show a bit more intent to try to win. I think we can win the game and start putting pressure on the top two spots again. There’s nobody in this division who should put fear into us on our own turf - or any division above as we’ve already seen this season. Let’s take it to them.
Couldn't agree more. I've been saying for ages Mackie is a liability to us. Unfortunately Robbo sees it differently

First goal - Ruffels out of position and Moore didn't close down enough to stop the cross (he could have done), Dickie then just didn't look to see where Vasells was running.

Second goal - Dickie again too easily lost by Vasells. Eastwood should never ever have come for the ball, but Dickie should have dealt with it.

While it was men against boys in the first half, we could have done much better with all 3 goals, and can't really remember Rotherham having other good chances.

Taylor and Browne should both have started... And that's not hindsight, just playing the best players.
Don’t forget Holland should also start

Whsf do you mean by "my manager"? it's not clear

Last edited:

Out of interest what does he have to offer when starting games? For me, and it’s been much better explained above than I can, he is the reason we struggle with the press, centre backs don’t worry about him getting in behind so they are happy to play higher up.

Has he ever played as a target man before? He isn’t that big and not that good on the air so it seems strange that we seem to be using him for that role at this stage of his career.

It was a great pass and run. I don't think anyone has a problem saying Rotherham were good, and I don't think they scored that goal because of Eastwood, but I don't think Eastwood could have done much more to make it easier for them. Below screen shows the moment the ball is hit. I don't think he had any more awareness of Vassell's run than Dickie did, and if he had stayed put then he would have made the striker do more to earn the goal. He ends up getting out of the way. I like Eastwood, I think he's a great keeper for us, there's no harm in calmly pointing out that he is one of four or five players who could have done something differently.

1578841581893.png

I think those of us that spend too much time thinking about Oxford games on here are present whether we win or lose. Most of us are being pretty reasoned about it, and personally I enjoy looking at football in detail and trying to learn more about it. I don't agree that football analysis is made up by pundits, I think that professional clubs are going to continue to develop the way they approach the game and ask more from their players in terms of preparation and awareness.

We employ Garry Parker specifically to analyse the opposition and prepare the players for the match plan in training sessions, and we can be sure plenty of other clubs are looking at us in more detail each week than the handful of anoraks on here. Not really sure who we're harming to be honest.

Their keeper kept going whereas Eastwood froze and didn't know what to do, credit to their keeper for having the forethought to keep going and make Taylor's life hard.

Agree on missing Henry, there is a level of consistency and quality in his game that Sykes is still working towards. As for Brannagan, he clearly can't be trusted to be honest about his fitness, so needs to managed more in terms of when he is actually ready vs when he says he is.

Ipswich really needs a different midfield - I'd rest Brannagan and perhaps bring Kelly in for his first start. I'd leave Holland on the bench for Tuesday, but he is a great option to stretch the game. Browne should start as he offers us something we've lacked in recent weeks - maybe rest Fosu too.

If Kelly is fit to play then he could be a very interesting option whilst Brannagan recovers. Play him deep and let Baptiste push forwards a bit more.

I could get behind the Browne/Sykes idea for Tuesday, probably spot on about not throwing Holland in at the deep end. What we saw was so promising though! :)

CamBran clearly wants to play, which is a good thing. Now we know he might be too eager, it's up to Robinson to manage it.

I will add the keeper did a superb job closing down the angle for his best chance. I’ve included a screen grab below. Taylor didn’t take a heavy touch said:
Should have nutmegged the keeper or right side of him.

The ref wound me up no end. Gorrin gets booked correctly but they did so many persistent fouls to break up our play with no cards.

Back
Top Bottom