Home Match Build Up 11/9/2021 L1: OUFC V Wycombe Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kane/Gorrin debate is easy for me. We'll have the majority of possession and Wycombe will mainly threaten from set pieces. Gorrin is a fantastic CDM at this level, but I don't think the need for one that's not a big bruiser who can win headers is going to be that important against Wycombe. What we need is to make sure we can open them up and get the attackers in on goal as often as possible to hopefully counter their set piece dominance. Kane is a better choice for that role than Gorrin is.

As for Long - he's been a couple weeks away since the start of the season and the reason he's not played is because we've already decided to ease him back in. He's done the easing bit already. Time for the back in. If he doesn't play, great, more recovery time. If he does play, great, the best RB in L1 has returned to grace us with his presence.

Probably why Gorrin was subbed in the play off final at half time. We had all the play and they scored from a corner and penalty from a defensive cock-up!

Probably why Gorrin was subbed in the play off final at half time. We had all the play and they scored from a corner and penalty from a defensive cock-up!
Also, we were absolutely rubbish for most of that game, and should still have won! But they are damn hard to beat

I think we will win this game.
I also think we should play 352 with a line up like this:
Stevens
McNally, Moore, Thorniley
Williams, Kane Brannagan Seddon
Henry
Winnall, Taylor

Both Winnall and Taylor have done well in the past playing along side another striker.

You then have the likes of Sykes, Whyte and Agyie to bring on against a tired Wycombe defender.

I think we will win this game.
I also think we should play 352 with a line up like this:
Stevens
McNally, Moore, Thorniley
Williams, Kane Brannagan Seddon
Henry
Winnall, Taylor

Both Winnall and Taylor have done well in the past playing along side another striker.

You then have the likes of Sykes, Whyte and Agyie to bring on against a tired Wycombe defender.
Swap Winnall for Agyei and I quite like that formation.

Shock news alert !!
Just had a look over at the High Wycombe forum and was shocked to read that their long ball game is dead , they are now a team of total football, slick passing and all that .
No need to worry about set pieces now 😀

Shock news alert !!
Just had a look over at the High Wycombe forum and was shocked to read that their long ball game is dead , they are now a team of total football, slick passing and all that .

would they actually know decent football if it bit them ( after years of Ainsworth)?

Shock news alert !!
They actually don't bother with corners or free kicks now, they are so keen on total football they want to walk the ball into the net.

Suprised by these stats from Wycombe's last game away at Sunderland. Possession almost even, i expected 60/40

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210909-143911_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210909-143911_Chrome.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 14
Depends on whether they date Akinfenwa or not 🤣
Vokes may just get the nod I would imagine! Seriously looking forward to the game between 2 decent league 1 sides, albeit with different styles! Wycombe play with wing backs so there may be opportunity to use the space left behind with the wide men. Vokes (assuming that he is selected in front of Akinfenwa 🤣) will be a threat in the air, especially from set pieces from the number 3.

With Jack Grimmer, Jason McCarthy, Joe Jacobson and Jordan Obita, Wycombe have four full backs on the books.

B22EBEBE-FF64-4313-9A5C-026003C003A6.jpeg

Ignore the usual suspects. We’ll beat Wycombe. We’re at home.

As long as we play the right team that is. If Long doesn’t make it, I would play McNally at right back.

Keep Holland off the pitch as well. He’s been a great disappointment so far.
To be fair I think it's a fair opinion that we may not beat Wycombe. They are the perfect side to exploit our fairly obvious weaknesses.

I have a feeling we will lose1-2, but I will turn up and support the boys and hope for better. I think we have more technically gifted players than Wycombe but then that's been the case for a while now, but that doesn't guarantee anything in football.

Also, their winger KaiKai will be a nightmare to defend against if he's fit. One of the best wingers in the league.

Shock news alert !!
One of them on there used "mouth-breather" as an insult, which must be the most indoctrinated insult I've ever heard of. Proper weird folk down there.

I'd much rather they try and play it on the floor, because if they do we'll have a much easier time of it.

KR's preview say's that Sam is out with a knock. Which doesn't clear up much, are we happy because Winnall won't start or sad because Long won't?

Long has another knock so likely he wont play? Could do three at the back with McNally in there, Seddon and Forde wingbacks? Big call tho to change the shape....

KR's preview say's that Sam is out with a knock. Which doesn't clear up much, are we happy because Winnall won't start or sad because Long won't?
He only said that "Sam" had a knock in training, not that they was out. I suspect it was Sam Winnall, and that he'll still feature on the bench. I think Sam Long will start.

"We behaved with tremendous respect for our opponents that day, Wycombe know that: just like when we turned the music off in our dressing room after beating them when they were in the relegation zone. They know what type of club we are, they know we stayed and applauded their success at Wembley and that I went into their changing room after to congratulate them"

It's times like these when I wish we were a little bit more shitty. I'm sure Wycombe didn't celebrate at Wembley. FFS Karl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom