Home Match Build Up 11/9/2021 L1: OUFC V Wycombe Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We behaved with tremendous respect for our opponents that day, Wycombe know that: just like when we turned the music off in our dressing room after beating them when they were in the relegation zone. They know what type of club we are, they know we stayed and applauded their success at Wembley and that I went into their changing room after to congratulate them"

It's times like these when I wish we were a little bit more shitty. I'm sure Wycombe didn't celebrate at Wembley. FFS Karl.
This is a good point. I remember in the final they had all the apprentices shouting and supporting them while Karl stood in silence looking stuck up, waiting for our beautiful football to assert itself rightly. You can be hard and competitive without gloating or being disrespectful, but you mustn't make it easy for them.

I think we will win this game.
I also think we should play 352 with a line up like this:
Stevens
McNally, Moore, Thorniley
Williams, Kane Brannagan Seddon
Henry
Winnall, Taylor

Both Winnall and Taylor have done well in the past playing along side another striker.

You then have the likes of Sykes, Whyte and Agyie to bring on against a tired Wycombe defender.
People keep saying ' against a tired defender ', has no one noticed that its our players that can't last 90 minutes, not the opposition 😳

"We behaved with tremendous respect for our opponents that day, Wycombe know that: just like when we turned the music off in our dressing room after beating them when they were in the relegation zone. They know what type of club we are, they know we stayed and applauded their success at Wembley and that I went into their changing room after to congratulate them"

It's times like these when I wish we were a little bit more shitty. I'm sure Wycombe didn't celebrate at Wembley. FFS Karl.
Yup, that made me wince as well. Every time that clip of Akinfenwa of kneeling down and praying comes up on Sky (and it is shown regularly) a little bit of me dies inside! You don't need to be rubbing things in but sometimes too much respect is shown.

I think it's been an issue under Karl that we're often too nice and too respectful. Not a bad trait to have in life certainly, but on the football pitch I do with we would be a bit nastier sometimes. The issue is I don't think we have the personnel to do it in a way you can get away with like the Wycombe's of the world do. Gorrin, Sykes, Winnall, Agyei among others all have been guilty of niggly fouls but the difference is they often get caught whereas our opponents don't! The best we have at it is Taylor and even he's not the best.

Tickets are still selling well.

When I looked earlier, we were about 450 ahead of the Charlton figure late on the Thursday night, before that game. We had 7,067 homes fans against Charlton, so I'd confidently predict at least 7,500 home fans. Wycombe have been given 1,750 tickets, and had 300 left a couple of days ago, so we should be looking at 9,000+. I'll say 9,200 on the basis of them selling 1,700.

Tickets are still selling well.

When I looked earlier, we were about 450 ahead of the Charlton figure late on the Thursday night, before that game. We had 7,067 homes fans against Charlton, so I'd confidently predict at least 7,500 home fans. Wycombe have been given 1,750 tickets, and had 300 left a couple of days ago, so we should be looking at 9,000+. I'll say 9,200 on the basis of them selling 1,700.
is it all ticket? .... I know there's no away tickets avail on the day

Looking forward to this one. Yes set pieces have been our downfall lately but I cannot believe the amount of people on here who think Wycombe will win! Have some faith! Confident performance by the yellows and I predict the same result as the Lincoln game (3-1).
Attendance: 9400 (1,707 Wycombe)
COYY

Martin Coy referee
Coy was in charge at Accrington in October ‘19 where Woodburn had his foot broken after just 4 or five minutes.

It was a poor challenge and I recall Woodburn screaming in agony,

EGRxqkSX0AY6M23

Going to miss this one. Actually starting to feel irked about that now.

Coy was in charge at Accrington in October ‘19 where Woodburn had his foot broken after just 4 or five minutes.

It was a poor challenge and I recall Woodburn screaming in agony,

EGRxqkSX0AY6M23
And the resulting tackle only led to a throw on to Accrington

I know that your intentions are good, but I think there are better ways to show that one term is offensive rather than highlighting others.
Painful Virtue signaling.

Incredibly obvious he wasn’t using them malevolently but in order to highlight a point of intellectual quality and to progress the discussion.

Ignore the usual suspects. We’ll beat Wycombe. We’re at home.

As long as we play the right team that is. If Long doesn’t make it, I would play McNally at right back.

Keep Holland off the pitch as well. He’s been a great disappointment so far.
He desperately needs to bulk up and fast. Far too easily knocked off the ball and not enough end product to justify it when he isn’t

Painful Virtue signaling.

Incredibly obvious he wasn’t using them malevolently but in order to highlight a point of intellectual quality and to progress the discussion.
And that point could have easily been made without further racial slurs which has nothing to do with intellectual quality!

And that point could have easily been made without further racial slurs which has nothing to do with intellectual quality!
Well I think the fact that the initial contributor didn’t see it as such an issue he was clearly providing a parallel and benchmark against which the word should be considered.

A simple to understand piece of analysis by our good friend werthers….clearly stated and well intended. Everyone knows the words exist and him using them in that context doesn’t involve malice so I’m not sure the point you’re trying to elucidate.

Well I think the fact that the initial contributor didn’t see it as such an issue he was clearly providing a parallel and benchmark against which the word should be considered.

A simple to understand piece of analysis by our good friend werthers….clearly stated and well intended. Everyone knows the words exist and him using them in that context doesn’t involve malice so I’m not sure the point you’re trying to elucidate.

It’s regarded as a racist term, like paki or n*****, by travellers and Roma people.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to see the point I was making, but to be clear I have included the quote from Werthers that would have had exactly the same meaning without the bit in bold being mentioned.

I made it equally clear that I didn't think his intentions were wrong, but when you are (rightly) offended by one racist term to describe travellers I don't think it's necessary to then use other racist terms to describe Asian and black people regardless of the context.

It clearly wasn't malicious, and I never suggested that it was, but (in my opinion) the additional words were unnecessary to the point being made.

Posters on the Wycombe forum seems to think they are going to surprise us with slick, fast moving football actually played on the green stuff - that would be a change and certainly more pleasant to watch overall (someone pointed out here that WW possession stats at Sunderland were roughly 50/50) . One contributor even asking if we will be up to old 'tricks', which is a bit rich from the masters of the feigned injury, drinks breaks, breaking up the pace, etc.

Oh and Sarge, they seem to be calling you out personally!

Hope they do come to play a bit of football, will be a cracking game if they do.

What's Sarge done now? :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom