5th Test 12-16 September 2019 The Oval

But of adrenaline making him overstride on his run in maybe? Doesn't take much of a stride extension over say a 20 yard run in to move your landing forward six inches or so...
Well yes, but if you look at where most bowlers plant their foot all the time - they always seem to have their foot straddling the line. That seems to be where they measure their run to. So when (as you rightly say) adrenaline kicks in, or they make a slight mis-step - they have virtually no margin for error. So why not move your run back six inches so that all of your foot is 'normally' landing just behind the line. That gives the leeway you need. The other problem is that umpires seem much less concerned to call no balls for overstepping. So players get away with it much of the time and it's only picked up when it is looked at after a wicket. All the more reason to 'self-police' and make sure you aren't doing it IMO!

Of course, my days as a top international test class bowler never quite arrived, so I may be talking rubbish! ;)

A little bit of a black mark against Leach. Root putting himself on to break the stubborn partnership and the commentators also considering the prospect of Denly bowling an over or two. Leach has provided a lot of entertainment this summer with his gutsy batting but he’s there to take wickets and, in conditions that should suit him, he’s not really threatened often enough.

just two wickets in the afternoon session ... need to step it up after Tea, skittle the remaining 5 wickets sharpish to wrap this up

Why am I nervous about this? Surely England are going to take this eventually.

Paine gone LBW to Leach.....now mop up the tail England

couple of back to back maidens.... ( Archer n Leach) ... stopping their tail enders scoring may make them Aussies a bit anxious about the chase

spoke to soon... Wade hits a 4 .... then Archer serves up a bounce that nibbled at Wade, .... nooo, miss fielding costs another 4 :cautious: .... good battle between Archer & Wade

nooooooo ..... chance for a stumping missed

now Stokes puts one down off the next ball

sort it out England

Breakthrough..... Broad takes Cummins wicket, gone for 9

What a summer of cricket that has been. Despite (or perhaps because of) the batting frailties in both teams it has been an excellent and entertaining (if not classic) Test Series, and of course beforehand we had the World Cup and the ODIs against Pakistan plus various other one offs. And you do have to mention Smith's amazing series (unfortunately).

Once the cricket is over, I always feel that the summer is as well. Now to concentrate fully on the football.

Bit surprising that Archer was MOM, but Stokes rightly was Englands Man of the series

Bit surprising that Archer was MOM, but Stokes rightly was Englands Man of the series
Archers sixfer in the first innings was the main factor of the match turning very much in Englands favour..... agree Stokes as Englands man of the series

What a summer of cricket that has been. Despite (or perhaps because of) the batting frailties in both teams it has been an excellent and entertaining (if not classic) Test Series, and of course beforehand we had the World Cup and the ODIs against Pakistan plus various other one offs. And you do have to mention Smith's amazing series (unfortunately).

Once the cricket is over, I always feel that the summer is as well. Now to concentrate fully on the football.
Ahem *whispers* Rugby World Cup starts next week..

Back
Top Bottom