Home Match Day Thread 13-04-2021 L1 OUFC v Shrewsbury Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - massive over reaction to his PO final ricket. Reality was the team threw the opportunity away, but we do love a scapegoat!
He had poor form for a while after that though. The James Henry of the last couple of games is lightyears away from the James Henry we saw earlier in the season.

Personally, I don’t think pointing out (on here) when players are playing badly, or should be dropped, is ‘scapegoating’ or somehow disloyal, but clearly some people do.

Yep - massive over reaction to his PO final ricket. Reality was the team threw the opportunity away, but we do love a scapegoat!
Football is a results business and in order to get results, you need to perform. If you don’t perform in one game, fine. Move on to the next one. If you underperform in 10 games and it costs the team, I’m afraid that is a different matter altogether. If you think justified criticism is scapegoating, then I’m afraid you’re a bit soft. I would expect the same if I was James Henry and if I underperformed at work, I would expect the same criticism from my manager and my customers (fans).

It’s great to see James Henry back to his classy best, but I’m sure even James would be the first to admit that this season, he has been poor.

Performing badly is one thing and yes justifiably calls for him to be dropped/rested are fine in my humble, but blaming any individual for bad performances by the team, which included several players out of position either due to injuries or some fixation to try and mould them into something they're not, or just getting the tactics wrong is a bit beyond. Everyone takes their equal share of the blame where it is due, be that Henry for performing poorly, Robinson for the selections and recruitment which left us paper thin in key areas, bad luck for the injuries, bad judgement (from both the player and the management) for allowing a player carrying an injury to play on and produce sub-par performances....

I think this did happen with Henry and certainly with Eastwood to an extent and possibly was accentuated by what we know both were capable of, and certainly in Eastwoods case by being exposed more then Stevens generally has been by poor defending (and not to say he hasn't made a few errors of judgement on occasion either!).

Interestingly, I haven't been worried by criticism of Eastwood, Henry, Kelly, Winnall etc because it has always been in comparison with many performances and clear expectations. To be completely honest, despite Henry's return to form he has still significantly overhit a fair few corners and crosses in the last handful of games, which is where we need him most (Taylor at the far corner of the 6 yard box waiting to pounce).
The only real vitriol I've found a bit too much was about Grayson. Hardly any exposure, one key f**k-up and the world is on his back.

He had poor form for a while after that though. The James Henry of the last couple of games is lightyears away from the James Henry we saw earlier in the season.

Personally, I don’t think pointing out (on here) when players are playing badly, or should be dropped, is ‘scapegoating’ or somehow disloyal, but clearly some people do.
Last season they said his drop in form was due to his child being in hospital it doesn’t excuse this season but with the players we have James would be one of the players you would want in your side. Every player has a dip in form.

Shortly after going head to head with Cam Brannagan, Ollie Norburn raked his boot down Mark Sykes’ Achilles
and was then substituted after he narrowly escaped a red card.

Ey9K_XeWEAQruxG

Performing badly is one thing and yes justifiably calls for him to be dropped/rested are fine in my humble, but blaming any individual for bad performances by the team, which included several players out of position either due to injuries or some fixation to try and mould them into something they're not, or just getting the tactics wrong is a bit beyond. Everyone takes their equal share of the blame where it is due, be that Henry for performing poorly, Robinson for the selections and recruitment which left us paper thin in key areas, bad luck for the injuries, bad judgement (from both the player and the management) for allowing a player carrying an injury to play on and produce sub-par performances....

I think this did happen with Henry and certainly with Eastwood to an extent and possibly was accentuated by what we know both were capable of, and certainly in Eastwoods case by being exposed more then Stevens generally has been by poor defending (and not to say he hasn't made a few errors of judgement on occasion either!).
I'd say that whatever the strength of his injury affected his form and he now clearly does not have that on his mind. Players at this level will have several miss hits and poor decisions ..we just hope to iron out as many as poss.

Out of contract in summer as well...

Wonder if KR was thinking the same

Sorry i know I'm a few days late on this one but, i doubt KR was thinking that at all, he is too heat of the moment, although he could and probably will use it as his "get out", because it did look like a shocker of a tackle. He also failed to back Sykes on RADOX after the game and had a pop at him for reacting post match, which i thought was also unfair. Hopefully KR has addressed this with him personally and admitted being wrong. In general I'm fine with KR as Manager but sometimes you have to admit you're wrong and eat a bit of humble pie.

Sorry i know I'm a few days late on this one but, i doubt KR was thinking that at all, he is too heat of the moment, although he could and probably will use it as his "get out", because it did look like a shocker of a tackle. He also failed to back Sykes on RADOX after the game and had a pop at him for reacting post match, which i thought was also unfair. Hopefully KR has addressed this with him personally and admitted being wrong. In general I'm fine with KR as Manager but sometimes you have to admit you're wrong and eat a bit of humble pie.

Tbf, the post match reaction is something Mark Sykes has to get control of so KR is correct imo. I like passion in a player and to see it in Mark Sykes is a very good thing but he needs to learn to channel it. A reaction immediately after something is one thing, albeit again something that ultimately has to be controlled, but after the game/delayed response isn't a heat of the moment thing and opponents will pick up on this and try to exploit it to get him booked/sent off. He hurts himself and the team if he is getting stupid bookings/sent off for having a strop/trying to get vengeance and therefore suspended. If he wants to get vengeance then use it as motivation to outplay them on the pitch or look calm/don't react but at a later opportune moment get your own back on the offending player (my preferred method when I used to play).

Tbf, the post match reaction is something Mark Sykes has to get control of so KR is correct imo. I like passion in a player and to see it in Mark Sykes is a very good thing but he needs to learn to channel it. A reaction immediately after something is one thing, albeit again something that ultimately has to be controlled, but after the game/delayed response isn't a heat of the moment thing and opponents will pick up on this and try to exploit it to get him booked/sent off. He hurts himself and the team if he is getting stupid bookings/sent off for having a strop/trying to get vengeance and therefore suspended. If he wants to get vengeance then use it as motivation to outplay them on the pitch or look calm/don't react but at a later opportune moment get your own back on the offending player (my preferred method when I used to play).

I agree in principle, Sykes shouldn't have reacted, but to publicly back the opposition player after a challenge like that, live on the radio was wrong by KR (for me anyway). Off the pitch scuffles happen all the time and if it had been another player reacting after the game (Taylor or Branners), you have to ask yourself, would KR have reacted in the same way?...

I agree in principle, Sykes shouldn't have reacted, but to publicly back the opposition player after a challenge like that, live on the radio was wrong by KR (for me anyway). Off the pitch scuffles happen all the time and if it had been another player reacting after the game (Taylor or Branners), you have to ask yourself, would KR have reacted in the same way?...

Maybe, maybe not on if it had been a different player but MS has shown previous in reacting before this. Also, different players need managing differently and maybe this method has the most impact on MS. I would suggest KR's management of MS has had positives considering how MS came back from his early season form, whilst MS gets most of the credit obviously, some still has to go to KR as well.

I think KR may have been playing the longer game a bit with the away game coming up so close as well by trying to take any heat away.

Maybe, maybe not on if it had been a different player but MS has shown previous in reacting before this. Also, different players need managing differently and maybe this method has the most impact on MS. I would suggest KR's management of MS has had positives considering how MS came back from his early season form, whilst MS gets most of the credit obviously, some still has to go to KR as well.

I think KR may have been playing the longer game a bit with the away game coming up so close as well by trying to take any heat away.
Credit where credit is due, for sure its about player management and judging by Sykes's recent performances KR definitely has him going in the right direction, hes one of our most exciting players at the moment and technically not far off being our most gifted footballer (Just my opinion ;)), i hope he gets a new contract. And yes, perhaps you're right, i forgot about the away match, for the greater good, better to smooth things out early, rather than continue where they left off...

Doesn't half show Agyei's strength when he 'helped' the defender out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom