Ref Watch +++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

I was just thinking...

A few days on now and I am surprised I am not more upset still than I am. Obviously it was a wonderful chance to go up and being in the Championship (or Division 2!) again would have been an adventure. But it all seems a bit unreal. I suppose because we didn't get to finish the season and have the weeks and weeks to build up the excitement to potential joy (or disappointment) of getting into the auto promotion places (or not) or playoffs (or not). So the playoffs just sort of 'happened', and of course we couldn't go and watch. I am a very poor listener / tv watcher of our games - I find it far more tense than being there and cannot say that I really enjoyed a minute of them. The lack of atmosphere really made them seem like rather grim, tense training games.

I think for me that I felt much less of a 'part' of it than if it had been a normal season followed by playoffs that we could all go to, so perhaps that's why? Being a part of a crowd at a match is obviously very important to me.
I agree completely. The semis were a bit more real as we knew the stadiums and there was a lot more fan involvement (and we were one of the fans on the Zoom screens), whereas the final just felt removed.

They won through luck.you don’t see teams trying to only have the ball 25% of the time and only trying to have 4 chances in a game.we don’t make an error and take our chances Wycombe lose every time.
True, but sadly we don't take all our chances.

Commiserations chaps. That doesn't help I know but for me supporting Pompey there really does seem to be more downs than ups and that is probably true for most supporters of clubs other than those in the top half of the Premiership. However I do think the great thing about football is that small clubs like Wycombe get the chance to mix it with the big boys once in a while. I suppose it is true to say that 'every dog has his day' and when we were in the Premiership and winning cups and so on life in League 1 seemed a million miles away. We don't know what next season will bring and what it will look like or when we will be able to go to watch our favourite teams. One thing looks certain and that is it is going to be a much tougher league than this one just gone. The league will have something of a top flight reunion look about it when you think of the clubs that will be there. Relegated teams will still have a little bit of their Championship quality about them and promoted clubs have momentum. Then there will be clubs like ours that are top end now but will we be top end this time next year?

I just hope next season we improve the squad even more,all things considered and as much as we feel we’ve had a good season, we still haven’t achieved anything, the board need to step up and back Robinson to the hilt, losing 3 key players back in January has slightly bitten us on the backside.

Normally, I hate us selling players. But with the covid virus looking like it could f**k a few clubs up, I suppose we need to sell Dickie of Dock Green, to keep us afloat. Just hope we don't give him away to a big club on the cheap. Same as Laura Brannagan.

So would you say that Karl isn’t a fan of our player model e.g. having to sell our better players rather than retaining them and building on that or just not selling them mid season?

The other thing to take into consideration is, Karl also said at the time and has said the same since, that you cannot stop a player wanting to progress etc which I think could be said for most of the players we’ve sold etc, so not sure what the answer is.

In addition to the above, I struggle to see how we could have improved more than we did in the second half of the season (after losing Baptiste & Fosu). It was the start that may be cost us an automatic position, but all teams seem to suffer at some point during a season. It seems that Karl’s teams at Oxford start slower which I think comes down to the type of players he employs e.g.have either had injuries or are not natural athletic players so need to build up/get up to speed. Probably need to sign players who can hit the ground running!!

So would you say that Karl isn’t a fan of our player model e.g. having to sell our better players rather than retaining them and building on that or just not selling them mid season?

The other thing to take into consideration is, Karl also said at the time and has said the same since, that you cannot stop a player wanting to progress etc which I think could be said for most of the players we’ve sold etc, so not sure what the answer is.

In addition to the above, I struggle to see how we could have improved more than we did in the second half of the season (after losing Baptiste & Fosu). It was the start that may be cost us an automatic position, but all teams seem to suffer at some point during a season. It seems that Karl’s teams at Oxford start slower which I think comes down to the type of players he employs e.g.have either had injuries or are not natural athletic players so need to build up/get up to speed. Probably need to sign players who can hit the ground running!!

Id say hes got every right to be peeved with the board for not letting him re invest a small percentage of some of the player sales and cup run money I wouldnt blame him if he feels hes taken us as far as we can go. And as for the starting slowly the poor blokes always on about getting players he wants in early then has to scrabble about after pre season and play the 1st 5 games without a complete squad 2 seasons running

Id say hes got every right to be peeved with the board for not letting him re invest a small percentage of some of the player sales and cup run money I wouldnt blame him if he feels hes taken us as far as we can go. And as for the starting slowly the poor blokes always on about getting players he wants in early then has to scrabble about after pre season and play the 1st 5 games without a complete squad 2 seasons running

Hmmm. The club runs at a loss. You could argue the money was already invested before the players were even sold.

As for starting early; red herring. Look at Wycombe. When players have choice they will rightly take the time to make the right one.

The latter may well change in the current climate of course.

The level of bitterness on here is just great.? ‘Little Wycombe’, the ‘Anti Football team’, ‘we don’t care about them anyway.’ Championship. Get the f**k in!
We know it’ll only be for a season, but we will enjoy the ride and the money will just add to us being a financially sustainable and well run club.
Contrast that with an unsustainable wage bill, dodgy owners and a landlord that continues to bleed you dry.

The level of bitterness on here is just great.? ‘Little Wycombe’, the ‘Anti Football team’, ‘we don’t care about them anyway.’ Championship. Get the f**k in!
We know it’ll only be for a season, but we will enjoy the ride and the money will just add to us being a financially sustainable and well run club.
Contrast that with an unsustainable wage bill, dodgy owners and a landlord that continues to bleed you dry.
I thought Wycombe were skint. Probably will be even more skint after a season in the championship.

You’ll always be tinpot with non league fans.youre a pub team and your luck is about to run out.

Kidlington Jimbo.....you really do need to be run out of town.

Ok... Kiddy is a village and an Oxfordshire village full of top oufc fans and for good measure one of the largest villages in the UK and you whilst we are on the subject of large qualify as one of the largest tossers living within gods favourite shire.

I'm still smarting at how we lost the game but we did and yes it's all about placing more footballs in the onion bag than the other side but for f*cks sake those 'two' goals were the most fortunate I've seen since wycombe became a football league small time club.

They will probably just laugh at him, they could pick someone out of the pub who is as good as him now (and he was never much in his prime)

I'm delighted he will get a chance to play in the Championship, as will other old timers at the club including Blooms, Jacobsen and Charles.

He's scored 215 odd goals in Level 3 and 4 of the English League, I would say that is some achievement by anyones standards. I can't think of any other player who has achieved that?

The quality in league One next year is frightening, especially if Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday get docked points and are relegated. Best wishes for the season ahead.

Back
Top Bottom