Ref Watch 13/07/2020 - OUFC v Wycombe Wanderers L1 Play Off Final - Robert Jones

How was Robert Jone's performance?

• Total voters
Aye, wasn't sure real time but seeing it back definitely a pen.

Wycombe lad clearly got the ball first. I don't think it was going to under control hence no red.

Ref got a bit wrong but was basically okay. Not biased.

Watch the replay, properly. Two players both going for the ball. No malice, no intent. No pen.

You're missing one vital piece of factual evidence, their player got the ball and would have had a tap in

You're missing one vital piece of factual evidence, their player got the ball and would have had a tap in

I don't think so. He got to the ball first, so yes, penalty.

Don't think he would ever have had it under control though.

Ref was absolutely fine, few little mistakes and a bit pedantic in the first half but got all the major decisions right. Gorrin for the third game running with a dark yellow, I really don't like these tackles he makes, sooner or later he'll injure someone doing that. Penalty absolutely tacked on, sadly.

The refs in all three games have been by and large OK...certainly a step up from the usual toss we have to deal with.

In comparison to the usual standard I thought he was pretty good.
Gorrin deserved the yellow, as ever. Penalty was nailed on. And he didn`t get much wrong.

One thing to learn from Wycombe would be the dark arts of making a robust challenge look like a stone wall foul and break up the play.

While he kept giving some soft penalties free kicks and missed Moore being rugby tackled in the box while Dickie almost scored, did ok. Was a bit inconsistent waving play on and it hurt us more than them., Not the architect of our downfall

Last edited:
I'm absolutely amazed at how one eyed some football fans are to think that wasn't a penalty!

I also love the "going for the ball" argument that always gets trotted out as if that somehow excuses it. Two players went for the ball, their player got their first and then they collided, penalty clear as day.

Overall the ref was fine, the strangest decision I can recall was first half when Browne got away from Grimmer, Grimmer threw himself at Browne and bounced off him and somehow won a free kick! I'd be chuffed if we had that standard of officiating next season.

Without crowds in Stadia one of the most annoying things is hearing the repeated squeals and howls from players
when they go down under little or minimal contact not to mention the bad language.

It was a penalty all night long and the referee got the big decision 100 per cent right.
Eastwood fortunate not to get a caution, possibly. Hendrie on Sky was taking about a red which i couldn't see happening.

I felt more than 5 additional minutes could have been added. With the two goals, water break, 8 subs and some Wycombe time wasting
surely 7 or eight could have been added?

Without crowds in Stadia one of the most annoying things is hearing the repeated squeals and howls from players
when they go down under little or minimal contact not to mention the bad language.

It was a penalty all night long and the referee got the big decision 100 per cent right.
Eastwood fortunate not to get a caution, possibly. Hendrie on Sky was taking about a red which i couldn't see happening.

I felt more than 5 additional minutes could have been added. With the two goals, water break, 8 subs and some Wycombe time wasting
surely 7 or eight could have been added?

I'd agree although I don't think it would have changed the outcome.

One oversight of the drinks break rule for all games is that it should be deemed an official stoppage like half time. Since everyone knows its coming and it's a planned part of the game in these unique circumstances, why doesn't the ref call a pause on time? I know it's not the done thing with football, but a pause of the clock would ensure that the stoppage doesn't eat into valuable game time.

I’m baffled that some people think that wasn’t a penalty. As much as I hate to admit it, it was blatant. The striker knew exactly what Eastie was going to do and when you come out like that if you don’t win the ball it’s a pen all day long. No real big decisions apart from that so I’d say he was about average. If we’d won then he would be voted a lot higher in this poll.

The ref was absolutely fine. All the big decisions he got right, he was reasonably consistent and handled the game sensibly. A lot of things were substandard yesterday - he wasn't one of them.

Only mistake I really recall is the offside for their 2nd, obviously linesman's decision rather than his. Would we have won if VAR was in use? I definitely wouldn't be a fan of it for a full season, but perhaps it could be used for the playoffs only, similarly to goal line technology.

Back
Top Bottom