Home Match Day Thread 14/8/2021 - L1: OUFC v Charlton Athletic

Just touching on a very serious side of the stadium experience. Yes, I was appalled, again, today at the lack of proper hygiene in the toilets. Apparently the ladies had soap and paper towels whilst the gents, in the SSU did not. Nor, was there sufficient provision for hand sanitiser.
The Supporters' Panel has not been brought to fruition as yet - an update is being processed as I type - but, it will, and has, already been noted that the facilities need attention. Sadly, I have to say that I was assured that work was in process to give the stadium a full spring clean prior to todays match. It does not appear to have been fully completed. Now, whilst I am aware of staffing difficulties, it is simply not acceptable that hygiene is so neglected, not with all that we have to live with at this time.
I do not have, and nor will the Supporters' Panel, have any power to make demands of the club, we can, or rather the Supporters' Panel will have, the ability to recommend to the club certain actions. That said, this is an area of concern that should, and needs to be addressed.

Believe me , I do not appreciate the conditions as they are nor do I intend to remain quiet. Let's see if we can achieve something for all fans.

It bodes well then, only had 18 months to plan something. Even if it is volunteer work parties outside with brooms & strimmers!!
Wonder what our SLO has been doing? Were they furloughed?

I’m not Sam Winnall’s biggest fan but I’m glad that, by all accounts, he had a better game than usual yesterday. I can’t comment as I only saw the extended highlights so just saw him give away a penalty and miss an absolute sitter.

I find it hilarious that some people are so keen to back him though that they’re trying to blame the miss on Sykes?! As a wide player, all you can do is make a great run into the box, take a touch, then slide a ball across the box, away from the keeper, directly in to the path of your onrushing striker… As the striker it’s your job to adjust your feet and tap that into an empty net. Sykes could do no more, Sam Winnall absolutely has to score that. Yes it might not have been exactly, 100%, precisely where he wanted it but Sykes is in a moving situation where he has one chance to play that in. Any striker in world football, given that ball, wouldn’t say ‘What the hell was that?! You expected me to score from THAT ball?!?’ Come on guys. Be reasonable.

I’m not Sam Winnall’s biggest fan but I’m glad that, by all accounts, he had a better game than usual yesterday. I can’t comment as I only saw the extended highlights so just saw him give away a penalty and miss an absolute sitter.

I find it hilarious that some people are so keen to back him though that they’re trying to blame the miss on Sykes?! As a wide player, all you can do is make a great run into the box, take a touch, then slide a ball across the box, away from the keeper, directly in to the path of your onrushing striker… As the striker it’s your job to adjust your feet and tap that into an empty net. Sykes could do no more, Sam Winnall absolutely has to score that. Yes it might not have been exactly, 100%, precisely where he wanted it but Sykes is in a moving situation where he has one chance to play that in. Any striker in world football, given that ball, wouldn’t say ‘What the hell was that?! You expected me to score from THAT ball?!?’ Come on guys. Be reasonable.
There’s too much hot air about this, it happened quickly but he should have scored. However the best strikers will miss great chances. I didn’t think Sam was that good but he at least gave the monster Charlton centre backs something to think about, and got a lot of applause when he came off. It’s something for him to build on.

There’s too much hot air about this, it happened quickly but he should have scored. However the best strikers will miss great chances. I didn’t think Sam was that good but he at least gave the monster Charlton centre backs something to think about, and got a lot of applause when he came off. It’s something for him to build on.

Reminded me of a similar chance for Taylor against the scum at home last season. Atleast Winnal's didn't come back to haunt us.

Winall's reaction - and Cam's reaction to him - show that it was a really bad miss. No point dressing it up otherwise.

It happens though: as has been pointed out Taylor missed a similarly simple, and ultimately more costly, chance against swindon.

Penalty was harsh and could've gone either way. I'd have definitely shouted for it were it at the other end, but would not have been surprised to see it not given.

Felt sorry for the lad as he did a lot of good work.

Oh yeah it’s fine for him to miss it - it happens. It wasn’t Sykes’ fault though! And he shouldn’t have had a go at him so much for something which was clearly his fault - something he has form for doing (Dan Agyei…)

Oh yeah it’s fine for him to miss it - it happens. It wasn’t Sykes’ fault though! And he shouldn’t have had a go at him so much for something which was clearly his fault - something he has form for doing (Dan Agyei…)
Good grief now we have criminal footy records.....players have a go at each other shock........
probably more out of frustration at himself as at the pass/ball not sticking in the mud or whatever! [emoji849]

Yeah! Should do his confidence a power of good!
Nice one!!🤨
I thought he had a good game and that was the general opinion of everyone I spoke to after the game apart from a few fans on Twitter this morning slating his performance, giving him a rating of 4.

North stand had soap, but no hot water or tissues to dry hands.

Urinals were still rusty!

It’s simply a disgrace. Seats were dirty and dusty..
I have written to the club about this and copied in oxvox, we are being taken for mugs imo. All the sweet talk over the tannoy is pretty meaningless when we are treated like we don't matter as far as the facilities are concerned. I think we are going to have to get some volunteers together and give the place a bloody good clean.

I have written to the club about this and copied in oxvox, we are being taken for mugs imo. All the sweet talk over the tannoy is pretty meaningless when we are treated like we don't matter as far as the facilities are concerned. I think we are going to have to get some volunteers together and give the place a bloody good clean.
As far as I understand, the cleaning is sub contracted to Farrs. (@Farrscatering ) I don't wish to condemn them for any shortcomings without getting all the facts but, it sounds as though none of the stands has had a proper clean up.
Also, I just commented to Mrs Lounger, based on our experiences when the 1893 club used the facilities in the main building, there is a two tier status in the stadium. Fans are getting the short straw when it comes to facilities. All those "VIPs" Directors, club guests etc are getting pampered while the rest of us in the proletariat are getting shafted.

As far as I understand, the cleaning is sub contracted to Farrs. (@Farrscatering ) I don't wish to condemn them for any shortcomings without getting all the facts but, it sounds as though none of the stands has had a proper clean up.
Also, I just commented to Mrs Lounger, based on our experiences when the 1893 club used the facilities in the main building, there is a two tier status in the stadium. Fans are getting the short straw when it comes to facilities. All those "VIPs" Directors, club guests etc are getting pampered while the rest of us in the proletariat are getting shafted.
To be honest it’s not the short straw , in ssl there’s not even a straw in my opionon , Norovirus is on the increase at the moment yet impossible to wash hands properly , you can be as fastidious about your personal hygiene , but a combination of cold water , no soap or towels dosnt bode well

Kassam does what he wants always as always will .The council run scared of him and I’m sure some at Oxford United also, even on this forum there will be a few who will tell please don’t rock the boat .Let’s all prey that within 5 years we can say goodbye to this leach and move on to a shiny new stadium of which we all deserve

I think Winnall needs to keep getting in the positions. He obviously didn't mean to miss, and we should not get on his back. Support the man.

Sykes needs to keep playing well too - he has put in some very odd performances in the past but its all about the now.

Back
Top Bottom