Home Match Day Thread +++ 15/02/20 OUFC v Sunderland +++

Games have to be rearranged for the next Tuesday not affected by cup competitions.

We are out on our feet. Partly our own fault. Anyway, I’m not caught up in the idea that Tuesday is a big game, I think that’s past now.
I won’t really be disappointed if we miss the playoffs, but I do want the season to stay alive as long as possible, so a win is important to get some momentum and optimism going again

You're like a f*****g dementor sucking the joy out of everything!

I said that there is no one to fear should we get to the playoffs, and I'm pretty sure we will.

You have said that anyone can beat anyone in this league, so yes, of course we can beat anyone over two legs.

If we hit the sort of form we had before Christmas with Brannagan, Henry and Taylor all back to full fitness and form, with Dickie, Mous and/or Moore at the back, with Browne, Holland, Woodburn or Agyei, all playing with pace and skill, then not one of the top 8 would fancy playing us.

So stop being so pissing defeatist!

is that the best you can do, i am not being a defeatist you are the one who can never see another persons "opinion"...it is you that took the P**s out of Sunderland, Stew and their fans all season..it is you that wants to deal in Facts but when it's pointed out that your argument re sunderland was weak and what if it was posh or Rotherham in the play offs you come up with some excuse as to why we lost 4-0 at posh..You also fail to grasp that our opponents might just be capable of playing better also.

The facts are the play offs are not a given despite your blind optimism, i have stated we likely need a further 36pts minimum, that's not defeatism it's the reality of the situation we now find ourselves in with just 48pts to play for and just 1 league win this year so not much room for further error.

is that the best you can do, i am not being a defeatist you are the one who can never see another persons "opinion"...it is you that took the P**s out of Sunderland, Stew and their fans all season..it is you that wants to deal in Facts but when it's pointed out that your argument re sunderland was weak and what if it was posh or Rotherham in the play offs you come up with some excuse as to why we lost 4-0 at posh..You also fail to grasp that our opponents might just be capable of playing better also.

The facts are the play offs are not a given despite your blind optimism, i have stated we likely need a further 36pts minimum, that's not defeatism it's the reality of the situation we now find ourselves in with just 48pts to play for and just 1 league win this year so not much room for further error.

You really are something else!

Firstly, we have 44 games this season so 14 games left and 42 points to play for.
You say that we need a minimum of 36 points, which will leave us on 81+. That is exceptionally high for playoff positions and probably 10 points more than needed.
We have home games against Wimbledon, Accrington, Southend, MK Dons, Bristol Rovers and Bolton. It is realistic to expect a minimum of 5 wins from these games. (15 Points)
We have away games against Tranmere and Rochdale which you would realsitically expect wins. (6 points)
This leaves 6 others games, Pompey and Fleetwood (h) Ipswich, Coventry, Wycombe and Shrewsbury (a). Some tricky games so lets say a point a game on average. (6 points)
That would give us 27 points from the remaining 14 games and a total of 72, which should be enough for a playoff space, although we would all like a few more to be sure.

So I have given (by my standards) a fairly realistic and achievable view of our remaining games. Whereas you are throwing in the white towel. We have outplayed teams at the top of the table, and been outplayed ourselves. We have also held our own and battled to some decent results. That doesn't guarantee success, but it certainly doesn't mean that we can't compete.

You can wrap up your hysteria in anyway you wish, but it is frankly pathetic to have already given up with a third of the season still to go.

Firstly, we have 44 games this season so 14 games left and 42 points to play for.
You say that we need a minimum of 36 points, which will leave us on 81+. That is exceptionally high for playoff positions and probably 10 points more than needed.
We have home games against Wimbledon, Accrington, Southend, MK Dons, Bristol Rovers and Bolton. It is realistic to expect a minimum of 5 wins from these games. (15 Points)
We have away games against Tranmere and Rochdale which you would realsitically expect wins. (6 points)
This leaves 6 others games, Pompey and Fleetwood (h) Ipswich, Coventry, Wycombe and Shrewsbury (a). Some tricky games so lets say a point a game on average. (6 points)
That would give us 27 points from the remaining 14 games and a total of 72, which should be enough for a playoff space, although we would all like a few more to be sure.

So I have given (by my standards) a fairly realistic and achievable view of our remaining games. Whereas you are throwing in the white towel. We have outplayed teams at the top of the table, and been outplayed ourselves. We have also held our own and battled to some decent results. That doesn't guarantee success, but it certainly doesn't mean that we can't compete.

You can wrap up your hysteria in anyway you wish, but it is frankly pathetic to have already given up with a third of the season still to go.

where have i said i had given up??????????????????????????????????????? but i do prefer to weigh things up with a level head and what i was actually doing was countering your weak argument that in Sunderland we have nothing to fear based on 1 game yesterday and simply asked what if it was Rotherham or Posh who both turned us over recently.

Nothing wrong with your optimism but also nothing wrong with believing it's a tall order from here with 6 or 7 teams all needing to drop off whilst we cannot afford too.You reckon 27 more points which means 6 or 7 will only get 17 more each and in fact it's likely more teams as there are 11 and possibly 12 chasing 4 places.
There is also a major difference in pressure when you need to keep winning towards the back end of the season

Have you seen the form table by any chance? I don’t think I can realistically expect us to score a goal every game let alone win 5 out of 6 games against the supposedly weaker teams.

I hope you’re right but I’m afraid logic based on current form suggests you’re very wrong

Have you seen the form table by any chance? I don’t think I can realistically expect us to score a goal every game let alone win 5 out of 6 games against the supposedly weaker teams.

I hope you’re right but I’m afraid logic based on current form suggests you’re very wrong

Have you seen our injury list? The teams we've been playing? The weather conditions?

Of course we've had a bad couple of months, but we are now hopefully hitting more favourable opposition at a time when some of our key players are coming back into full fitness. Brannagan, Henry and Taylor have been missing or ineffective, but are all looking to be back just in time. I'm not saying that it'll be a walk in the park, but if we pick up 3 wins and a draw from our next 4 league games then we're right back in the mix.

Your optimism is quite stunning Scotchers - fair play to you. Of course "it's not over yet" but if your predictions of the remaining games are any way near correct then I bags first chance to ask you for the lottery numbers on the last Saturday of the season. Our biggest challenge is not getting to the playoffs (Zaki has already said we are not ready for promotion) it's keeping KR here when he could very well be lured to Spain before our season is over.

Have you seen our injury list? The teams we've been playing? The weather conditions?

Of course we've had a bad couple of months, but we are now hopefully hitting more favourable opposition at a time when some of our key players are coming back into full fitness. Brannagan, Henry and Taylor have been missing or ineffective, but are all looking to be back just in time. I'm not saying that it'll be a walk in the park, but if we pick up 3 wins and a draw from our next 4 league games then we're right back in the mix.
Lovely to have your unerring and stunning optimism on here, Scotchers, but a dose of realism is required. Bookmark your own comment and come back to this when we’ve won three and drawn one of the next four games, (What’s your prediction for Ipswich?) and tell us about the forthcoming fixtures against those feeble Coventry, Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Wycombe teams. Yes, of course we’ll probably beat Southend, Bolton and Tranmere but an incredible turn-round of form is required if we are to overhaul AT LEAST four teams above us and fight off the ones below who will also be thinking the same.

Lovely to have your unerring and stunning optimism on here, Scotchers, but a dose of realism is required. Bookmark your own comment and come back to this when we’ve won three and drawn one of the next four games, (What’s your prediction for Ipswich?) and tell us about the forthcoming fixtures against those feeble Coventry, Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Wycombe teams. Yes, of course we’ll probably beat Southend, Bolton and Tranmere but an incredible turn-round of form is required if we are to overhaul AT LEAST four teams above us and fight off the ones below who will also be thinking the same.

I’d hope for a point at Ipswich as I’m sure most of us would?

I've never once hidden away from predictions and I'm here during the good and bad times. It's normally the miserable doom sayers who go missing when we get good results so more than happy bookmarking this, but I expect that you'll be nowhere to be seen when it comes good!

I've never once hidden away from predictions and I'm here during the good and bad times. It's normally the miserable doom sayers who go missing when we get good results so more than happy bookmarking this, but I expect that you'll be nowhere to be seen when it comes good!
I would argue that over fifty years supporting the boys gives me the right to an opinion - and I’ve been around for 6 promotions and 6 relegations, so I don’t disappear at any time. I like to be optimistic but flavour this with some realism. I resent your final comment.

I would argue that over fifty years supporting the boys gives me the right to an opinion - and I’ve been around for 6 promotions and 6 relegations, so I don’t disappear at any time. I like to be optimistic but flavour this with some realism. I resent your final comment.

"I like to be optimistic"?

Give us a shout when you start then fella!

quite liked us playing 3 at the back. Thought all 3 CBs did well, Forde was good at RWB and Ruffels I think players better in a more attacking role. A bit frustrating that there's no service for Taylor, meaning he has to drift out wide to pick up the ball so there's no one in the box when crosses go in.

quite liked us playing 3 at the back. Thought all 3 CBs did well, Forde was good at RWB and Ruffels I think players better in a more attacking role. A bit frustrating that there's no service for Taylor, meaning he has to drift out wide to pick up the ball so there's no one in the box when crosses go in.

Agree but did think Agyei did that on occasion.

We’ve played so much better previously in our old formation though, and Cadden has had games where he’s had far more possession higher up the pitch and created more chances than Forde did, and he was a full back!

We’ve played so much better previously in our old formation though, and Cadden has had games where he’s had far more possession higher up the pitch and created more chances than Forde did, and he was a full back!

Tbf, it was Forde's 1st full game back and the weather wouldn't have helped.

Back
Top Bottom