Home Match Day Thread +++ 17/02/2018 OUFC v Plymouth Argyle match day thread +++

Centre midfield admittedly did look more stable today,however Mowatt didn't impact the game whatsoever in a positive way. Hoping Brannagan can make a difference against Northampton and bring creativity.

Agree, hoped Brannagan would be fit for today looks like we'll have to wait until next week

I am gutted we lost that game. On the strength of that performance I have no doubts we will stay up. Those were not players who have given up or are low on confidence. The question is can they reproduce it?

As for Plymouth.... Wow. Maybe they had an off day or we were good but I have no idea how that team is on such a good run. Okay, we did lose due to a keeper mistake but they were nowhere near the standard of the better teams we have faced this season.

Riccy looks different class. He must start somewhere on the pitch!

I was thinking the same thing they just didn’t look that great but. I think the reason was/is they defended really well. How many times did they block our shots? When we did get in behind and down the flanks they didn’t give us much of a option in the centre. I thought the keeper did well, even with that kit on!
They also had very good delivery from set plays and corners. Finally attacking wise it was knock it over the top but they did it well with Taylor up front.
One thing I did notice was how many headers he won! He was terrible at that when he was here. Is that a sign of our bad defence or his improvement?

I should add I really enjoyed the game if not the result. We deserved something from the game. If we play like that every week we’ll be fine.
Let me throw this out there... was the improvement due to a new man being announced to the players ?

Another way of looking at the game is if Plymouth are the form team in the country we have nothing to worry about.

Other observations:

Mousinho has good techncal ability but is not physically strong enough to play as a l1 centre back.

Dickie looked promising.

Ricardinho needs to play every week.

Mowatt will end up playing in league 2.

Our keeper dropped an almighty ricket for the goal. His performances are dropping off.

The loanees have quality but their naivity is frustrating - especially Buckley Ricketts.

Naps’s attitude is great - I like his grit.

Alarmed by players interviews after game. They are unsettled by the lack of clarity about who their boss is going to be. We have an absentee landlord.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

I thought we looked better with Mowatt alongside Ledson. Ruffels needed a spell out of the side.
Mowatt did tire towards the end however.

I enjoyed the game but feel Argyle were ordinary and were there for the taking.

Rothwell feeling that hamstring again was not good - he’s a joy to watch.

Agree that Eastwood is having some difficult moments - he went walkabouts for the goal
but there were two or three yellow shirts on the goal line it looked to me who may have done better.

The final pass needs to improve.

Just to throw this out there, I’m not massively bothered if we get relegated, I will buy a season ticket and be there watching us in l2 as I would if we stay up. Maybe that’s why I’m not quite in the panic that some have been since xmas. But just to forewarn u, when (not if) we do stay up, no one will be sleepwalking anywhere on here, as I will be in positivity overdrive at the lessons to be learned from having a little faith. [emoji16]

Whilst it’s certainly better to be relegated into League 2 than out of it, let’s not delude ourselves that it would be a move we can just laugh off.

It took us six seasons to get promoted back to League 1 after 2010 after a 16 year spell outside the third tier. You can wave goodbye to Rothwell and Ledson, trying to sign players of their ilk will become more difficult, paying the £500k rent when attendances fall gets trickier, progression in cups and therefore vital revenue streams is made harder and the relegation trapdoor out of League 2 is an abyss.

I like it in League 1 and want to stay here. Relegation wouldn’t be a disaster but we know how difficult it can be to get out of League 2. There are far, far more perks to staying up than enjoying visits to Crawley and Lincoln.

Another way of looking at the game is if Plymouth are the form team in the country we have nothing to worry about.

Other observations:

Mousinho has good techncal ability but is not physically strong enough to play as a l1 centre back.

Dickie looked promising.

Ricardinho needs to play every week.

Mowatt will end up playing in league 2.

Our keeper dropped an almighty ricket for the goal. His performances are dropping off.

The loanees have quality but their naivity is frustrating - especially Buckley Ricketts.

Naps’s attitude is great - I like his grit.

Alarmed by players interviews after game. They are unsettled by the lack of clarity about who their boss is going to be. We have an absentee landlord.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Agree with a lot of this..

Loanees showing some real quality to a point then frustrate the f**k out of me.

Loved seeing Ricardinho again.

Nap...hmmm, runs about a lot but I see nothing from him.... At the moment.

Just to throw this out there, I’m not massively bothered if we get relegated, I will buy a season ticket and be there watching us in l2 as I would if we stay up. Maybe that’s why I’m not quite in the panic that some have been since xmas. But just to forewarn u, when (not if) we do stay up, no one will be sleepwalking anywhere on here, as I will be in positivity overdrive at the lessons to be learned from having a little faith. [emoji16]

Whilst it’s certainly better to be relegated into League 2 than out of it, let’s not delude ourselves that it would be a move we can just laugh off.

It took us six seasons to get promoted back to League 1 after 2010 after a 16 year spell outside the third tier. You can wave goodbye to Rothwell and Ledson, trying to sign players of their ilk will become more difficult, paying the £500k rent when attendances fall gets trickier, progression in cups and therefore vital revenue streams is made harder and the relegation trapdoor out of League 2 is an abyss.

I like it in League 1 and want to stay here. Relegation wouldn’t be a disaster but we know how difficult it can be to get out of League 2. There are far, far more perks to staying up than enjoying visits to Crawley and Lincoln.

Totally. I’ve not said I’d be happy about getting relegated, u should see me after we lose. But it doesn’t take long for me to put it behind me. We actually got better cup revenues in l2 than we have in l1. Attendances could possibly rise, as we would be one of the better teams, tickets would be less, and winning games attracts more fans. I want to stay in l1. I want to be in or around the playoffs playing decent football. But I’m not going to start panicking at xmas and lose my s**t if we do drop. There are far more important things to worry about

Only issue with Buckley Ricketts is if he don't change his game when Hall comes back he'll be in and out the squad. Can't have 2 wingers on who both like to try and beat a man then cut back in playing at same time
Ricketts beat his man, put him on his a**e tried going round him again and lost it to him, how did he manage that, also faz saying we practiced short corners but the younger players forgot, it wasn’t them taking them.

We never got a striker with some ilk in January people say we are leading goal scorers we’re not we’re some way down that league, we may have been when we started the season but at the wrong end of the season we’re not and it’s worrying, yesterday apart from Gino’s bullet that went wide nothing else, I think the nearest then was Rikki Obika not good enough 2 tame efforts from him just not good enough.

I hope if Bellamy is the new manager he has already decided who to let go in the summer and already eyeing up potential targets, and if Tiger is the new owner hope he has assured Bellemy if it’s him what sort of budget he will have.

Some people say being relegated may not be to bad WTF? What planet are they on.

After yesterday’s performance as people have alluded to we deserved something out of that game. Now we have to win at Northampton and that is s a bogey place to go to, to win.

Only issue with Buckley Ricketts is if he don't change his game when Hall comes back he'll be in and out the squad. Can't have 2 wingers on who both like to try and beat a man then cut back in playing at same time
Ricketts beat his man, put him on his a**e tried going round him again and lost it to him, how did he manage that, also faz saying we practiced short corners but the younger players forgot, it wasn’t them taking them.

Mowatt never takes a decent corner. Well they are decent, speed and length are good, just way to close to the keeper and he doesn’t seem to be able to change it , richardinhio puts in a much better one. If we’re going to stick with mowatt taking them then we should at least stand obika or dickie right in front of the keeper so he’s not got an easy catch

If what Faz said about forgetting the short corners is true then he does not have a hope of getting the job. That needs a manager who will tear new arseholes in whichever player "forgot".
That said, long or short, our corners are crap.

Dickie should have been trying to win the ball but he was facing the north stand for the whole duration of the kick!

It was still a foul by their player.

It was a well placed cross from the corner though which we don't do many apart from the one Obika shouldered.

It was still a foul by their player.

It was a well placed cross from the corner though which we don't do many apart from the one Obika shouldered.
I’d say it was still a 50/50 tussle that Dickie lost and as an ex CB I can’t give Dickie any positives from that corner but if Eastwood hadn’t come flapping they may not have scored.

Back
Top Bottom