Home Match Day Thread 17/08/21 L1: OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has scored or assisted in 45 goals (36 goals/9 assists) in 91 appearances according to transfermarkt for Oxford, all pretty much as the point man of the attack. Last season was 22 (18 goals/4 assists) in 46 appearances in Lg 1. I'd say pretty much 1 in 2 a game is far better than "little change". He can play the role.
Spot on.
Taylor are this level is top quality and his stats prove that.
Of he plays in the majority of games he will be close to 20 goals.
We uses to ask for a 20 goal a season forward. Now we have one we want a tall strong fast forward ( who would almost certainly score far fewer goals)

This is it for me. I do think it’s weird how, as a forum, people generally don’t hold back from sticking the boot in (sometimes pretty unreasonably), but for some reason are willing to bend over backwards to excuse poor performance after poor performance from Agyei. He’s not the first player to have been (justifiably) dug out by KR and hes not the first player to be asked to play slightly out of position, and he certainly won’t be the last. But there are still minimum standards of tenacity and urgency that players should be expected to reach, and he just does not hit them.

And it’s as you say - he is so nearly there. He’s got everything. Everyone wants to see him just put in that 10% more and be the player we see in only one or two flashes a game. But he’s had two years to show that now and he just hasn’t.
What a strange comment, he has changed the game many times on the few occasions he has been given a chance. He's never had a run in the squad, that's years of stop-start football. No opportunity to gather form whatsoever.

"Poor performance after poor performance" - what? Did you watch any of our games last season? He's a major part of the reason why we made playoffs. Were you at Shrewsbury the year before when he singlehandedly revived our season?

Sorry but this is just an objectively terrible take.

He has scored or assisted in 45 goals (36 goals/9 assists) in 91 appearances according to transfermarkt for Oxford, all pretty much as the point man of the attack. Last season was 22 (18 goals/4 assists) in 46 appearances in Lg 1. I'd say pretty much 1 in 2 a game is far better than "little change". He can play the role.
As I said I really like him and yes he does well against weaker defences but it was still not enough to get us promoted. It's what you do against the top teams that determine if you are promoted or not. I suppose it depends on your ambitious.

This is it for me. I do think it’s weird how, as a forum, people generally don’t hold back from sticking the boot in (sometimes pretty unreasonably), but for some reason are willing to bend over backwards to excuse poor performance after poor performance from Agyei. He’s not the first player to have been (justifiably) dug out by KR and hes not the first player to be asked to play slightly out of position, and he certainly won’t be the last. But there are still minimum standards of tenacity and urgency that players should be expected to reach, and he just does not hit them.

And it’s as you say - he is so nearly there. He’s got everything. Everyone wants to see him just put in that 10% more and be the player we see in only one or two flashes a game. But he’s had two years to show that now and he just hasn’t.
It's just that I disagree that it was a poor performance. It was just middle-of-the-road.

Why Dan gets so much scrutiny I will never understand, particularly when he gets played out of position.

As I said I really like him and yes he does well against weaker defences but it was still not enough to get us promoted. It's what you do against the top teams that determine if you are promoted or not. I suppose it depends on your ambitious.
Bit of an odd comment. Points are points wherever you win them, though obviously it's good to take them off a rival. You can't ask for much more from a centre forward than 20 goals in a season - certainly it's not Taylor's fault we didn't get promoted, which we were never favourites to do anyway.

On my way home last night I drove past several cars who's car windows had been smashed.

Many years ago my old car was taken for a joyride while I was at the game and burnt out so I've never chanced it again.

Whereabouts were they parked?

Bit of an odd comment. Points are points wherever you win them, though obviously it's good to take them off a rival. You can't ask for much more from a centre forward than 20 goals in a season - certainly it's not Taylor's fault we didn't get promoted, which we were never favourites to do anyway.
Where have I blamed Taylor? 🤷‍♂️
I've blamed the system; a lone striker against bully boy defenders. Were you watching last night?? There's no way Agyie could have got less return than Taylor. Against such defenses Taylor should be playing off a target man a la Hamilton/Aldridge.

Where have I blamed Taylor? 🤷‍♂️
I've blamed the system; a lone striker against bully boy defenders. Were you watching last night?? There's no way Agyie could have got less return than Taylor. Against such defenses Taylor should be playing off a target man a la Hamilton/Aldridge.
We don't play that way. Taylor thrives off low crosses but what we delivered last night was mainly long high ones to the far post, god knows why. Shape and structure disappeared pretty fast with the injuries so I think just take the points and move on.

I thought the Crewe left back (Adebisi) looked very useful and was their best player. Missed their best chance of the game right near the end of the match but he defended pretty well throughout and used the ball well. Only 20 as well.

Wouldn't mind if we were having a look at him.
I was saying the exact same thing last night

We don't play that way. Taylor thrives off low crosses but what we delivered last night was mainly long high ones to the far post, god knows why. Shape and structure disappeared pretty fast with the injuries so I think just take the points and move on.
.... and fall at the final (or penultimate) hurdle again?

I think to be fair to KR he berated Dan for turning back to the right and into trouble when there were players running into space to his left who would have had goal scoring opportunities to seal the game, a question of getting your head up and being aware.

For those saying Dan probably blew his chance last evening, i think we all know that he was always likely to be back on the bench regardless.

One telling factor for me is when he chipped the keeper and it went wide is the nervous look towards the bench, i've noticed this on several occasions

I've given my opinion and observations on Dan for 2 seasons now and like Ryan there is little point keep debating it as things are unlikely to change.
He (Karl) did it every time, not just the once., but never praised him when he did something good. I hate it when managers have favourites, treat them all the same/fairly.

I haven't really seen much of Agyei to judge him what with the whole pandemic thing, so I ensured I watched him like a hawk last night so I could contribute to the inevitable Yellows Forum critique of his performance.

He's quite clearly got something. He is very fast at running and has the ability to go direct. He looked the most dangerous when he had an opportunity to get behind the defence and I think fans want to like him because he's exciting to watch. The problem I also noted was how he seems to drift out the game and switch off. There was a moment towards the end of the game where Robbo had to gee him up to get back on his feet and into position as Crewe were about to take a free kick. When you're trying to see out a one goal lead you need everyone at it and to defend from the front. It doesn't help that he isn't yet match fit but he does strike me as a player who has all the physical attributes and just need things to click in his head as well, he's not the finished article in that regard but he undoubtedly has talent. Given that we're seemingly running out of wingers already then maybe he'll get that chance for consistent minutes.

As KR said, great team performance with a patched up side, and that was even before kickoff let alone the injuries we got during the game, the only quibble i have is why does Stevens mess about when he has the ball at his feet, before too long he will get caught out and it will be costly, all very well playing out from the back when nobody is near him, doesnt do the blood pressure any good.

They don't have an after-match programme mid-week, except for big matches. The complete RadOx programme, commentary plus the 10-15 minutes after, comes under the 'licensing' embargo, meaning there isn't anything to find online after the event.

Saturdays are different. The "wasn't at the game" post-game programme is easy to find. Last season you could also find the pre-game programme, after the event, but that doesn't seem to be there this season.
I subscribe to both the Pre and Post Match reports on the BBC Sounds app and all the pre game programmes for this season are there in My Sounds, so maybe you could try that.

We've made the play offs 2 seasons running with him leading the line and again he is involved in 1 goal every 2 games, a stat many strikers don't reach. The other 10 positions equally have an impact such as Easty's awful start to last season.

I also remember him doing well against top sides in his 1st season, but last year very few the whole squad did well against the top sides.

.... and fall at the final (or penultimate) hurdle again?
The reason we didn't come higher last season was that we let in too many goals.
Taylor is a goalscorer and has proven that time and again. He even scored a cracker against Man City to show that he can score against better sides.

The reason we didn't come higher last season was that we let in too many goals.
Taylor is a goalscorer and has proven that time and again. He even scored a cracker against Man City to show that he can score against better sides.
You haven't read a word I've posted above have you? I haven't criticised Taylor I've praised him. Look! See!
I like Taylor. He's a natural goalscorer and give 100% in all games but when he's played alone, upfront, against tall strong defender he gets little change despite his scrapping abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom