Away Match Day Thread +++ 17/4/2018 Wigan v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Disagree.
We played the team that will win the league away from home.
The bookies i believe had us as over 10/1.
It was a gutsy and committed performance where we could have got a draw.
KR has transformed us defensively. We look organised and difficult to beat.
They could bring Grigg and Cole on.
If we play how we have in the past three games and get a break we will get more than the two points we may need.
How are you getting on with your theory that all the other clubs were so bad that we wouldn't need any more points, Foley?

How are you getting on with your theory that all the other clubs were so bad that we wouldn't need any more points, Foley?

asks the man who suggested that when we were on 41 many others would show promotion form to overtake us whilst we failed to get 9 points

Argh but you know Nostradamus methven, make enough vague impending doom statements and one will be able to be claimed correct at some point

Possession 60-40; shots 12-4; shots on target 3-1.

It's great that we showed a gutsy defensive display, but the stats clearly show a game that we were dominated in. We all remember when weak sides came to the Kassam and 'parked the bus' in the Conference. It is difficult to win and perform when the other side only want to defend.

Robinson has tidied us up defensively since coming in, largely by packing the central spaces and giving up width and attacking numbers. It is likely to engender narrow defeats, scoreless draws and the odd nervy victory. It may be the recipe to eke out the remaining three points we need to stay up, but the task for next season (to produce a team that is capable of actually winning games on a consistent basis and competing equally with the better sides) is a mammoth one. Park the bus narrow defeats shouldn't obscure that.

Argh but you know Nostradamus methven, make enough vague impending doom statements and one will be able to be claimed correct at some point

Ah, bless Dave!!!

Getting your little jabs in first before anyone points out your own calamitous lack of judgement. Building for the future with Pep! Mid-table! Staying up very comfortably!! Carry on, sergeant.....

Possession 60-40; shots 12-4; shots on target 3-1.

It's great that we showed a gutsy defensive display, but the stats clearly show a game that we were dominated in. We all remember when weak sides came to the Kassam and 'parked the bus' in the Conference. It is difficult to win and perform when the other side only want to defend.

Robinson has tidied us up defensively since coming in, largely by packing the central spaces and giving up width and attacking numbers. It is likely to engender narrow defeats, scoreless draws and the odd nervy victory. It may be the recipe to eke out the remaining three points we need to stay up, but the task for next season (to produce a team that is capable of actually winning games on a consistent basis and competing equally with the better sides) is a mammoth one. Park the bus narrow defeats shouldn't obscure that.
I think the idea is that he will be able to sign some strikers and pacy players in the close season. He's doing quite well with what he has, which is in some departments limited.

Ah, bless Dave!!!

Getting your little jabs in first before anyone points out your own calamitous lack of judgement. Building for the future with Pep! Mid-table! Staying up very comfortably!! Carry on, sergeant.....

No little jabs, just u seem to despite ur vocabulary insist on using insults and petty name calling in every post . Never said we were building for the future with pep’s signings. Said we will not get relegated, that doesn’t mean comfortably. And mid table- yeah what a ridiculous prediction to make before the season started, and yet even with how terrible we’ve been we’re only 6 points off me being spot on. Hardly an outrageous statement like I’ve found a farmer and he’s willing to let us build a stadium is it !

As for the Wigan game I think u used terms like ....

Must must must remember dave,we have two games that are effectively a write off.

If we can’t beat Oldham at home where will our points come from.

We don’t pick up any points against top ten sides (apart from Pompey that didn’t count)

A battering of 6, more likely 10 will make our goal difference a liability.

And Yet somehow we still came very very close to gaining a point .

How was the directors box Saturday by the way ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A look at Trevor Kettle will show all the controversy that berk as been at the centre of. Angered Luton, Gillingham and Accrington supporters.
Can’t believe he hasn’t been struck off yet

Add to that list a manager who actually seems to know what he’s doing. I was really worried when I saw the team announced but I loved the fact that Robinson sounded really pissed off after the game that they hadn’t got something from the game. He had a game plan that, if we hadn’t been a little naive at the end, would have worked. He also had a bit of a pop at the clubs lack of professionalism in not having an overnight stay, they had to drive up to Wigan on the day of the match, but said he’ll change all that. It didn’t sound like a huge issue but a bit unfortunate

Yeah, but over the last few years we’ve always travelled up the night before, so what changed? And to keep ranting over us not finishing our chances, we’ll I’d like to what chances, and what if Wigan has taken theirs!

I really dont know what Faz did there. Strange decision.
Bringing in the two Man City players was a poor decision as well.

But it was Faz that apparently told Robinson to play Ricardinho, so very confusing all round.

:)
Well who knows Lundinsponytail. We may not need any more. It needs one team to have a very poor run (which is far from impossible- Walsall?) for that prediction to be right.
If not then I would be wrong ....

Watching the highlights, before the goal was the Wigan player on the right offside? Of course couldn't see the point when the ball was kicked to him or if an Oxford player on the far side played him on. More worrying, who was the player marking Grigg who didn't go with him when he ran into the area? In those last five minutes we needed everyone battling for everything.

Just back. For once we were the timewasters and the spoilers and it was actually quite fun to watch. The last 10 minutes was so frustrating and naive. Having had our backs to the wall for an hour, we started to frustrate them in the second and win some space up front, but rather than keep possession and discipline and settle for a point, I felt we got a bit giddy, thought we could win it and paid the price.

I was one that thought we could could win the game, if we had we would probably have been secure in div 1. Maybe this was too much of a risk but I think some player concidered it was worth it. Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing and a point was less of a risk.

Last edited:
Nothing positive at all in the way the team performed then?
Yes we battled well but the players will be the first to tell you it means nothing if you can’t get a result. The only positive I can see is our goal diff which we preserved and may be important. Fingers crossed we can get something at Donny today

Yes we battled well but the players will be the first to tell you it means nothing if you can’t get a result. The only positive I can see is our goal diff which we preserved and may be important. Fingers crossed we can get something at Donny today

I think we will beat Donny and Rochdale and draw with Blackburn. Just feeling positive after our improved performances, plus Rochdale have to play mid week while we have a deserved break. Blackburn will be already promoted by the time we play them and Donny's already safe.

That team selection on the face of it looks poorly judged. Ruffels is no left back and to drop Henry in favour of Rothwell seems to ignore Henry has been the reason we’ve picked up any pointo recently

Back
Top Bottom