Home Match Day Thread +++ 18/02/20 OUFC v AFC Wimbledon +++

I think that defensively he hasn’t been tested enough to say one way or another. No argument that the lad can play, but he needs game time.
Only then will we know if he can cut it there.
I personally worry that he may be found out against pace.

No, but he will be exposed against better opposition.
Well let's see. We sure miss Cadden and Forde gives us a lot more going forwards.
MAPP started playing Marvin Johnson at left back and he did OK.
I was thinking the other day about how he kept Traore quiet when we played at Middlesbrough (bizarrely Traore is now being linked to Barcelona now)

Well let's see. We sure miss Cadden and Forde gives us a lot more going forwards.
MAPP started playing Marvin Johnson at left back and he did OK.
I was thinking the other day about how he kept Traore quiet when we played at Middlesbrough (bizarrely Traore is now being linked to Barcelona now)

Marvin Johnson was a lot better player than Forde though. I doubt Forde would be starting for Middlesbrough now.

Sykes and Browne made poor easy passes in that game and I’ve seen Henry and Dickie do the same recently/this season as well.

He didn’t look like he was struggling to kick the ball to me. I doubt we’ll see much more of him due to Gorrin’s quality and the way we play, but I’d be happy for him to play more.

The others can run.

Forde has played 80 games in the Championship and 6 in the PL. He is no mug.
Johnson has played 29 games in the Championship and some in the SPL.

Jamie Mackie has played in the Premiership; he still wouldn’t be getting games over Marvin Johnson in the Championship right now, especially at full back...

Enjoyed a decent and fluent OUFC performance last night which was a welcome sight. Ok tbh the wimble's weren't anywhere near some of the other opposition we have faced recently but the team needed that and for the punters who came they were rewarded with a 5 goal salvo.

However, a earlier poster mentioned about the home atmosphere which is quite a hot topic to answer but I'll give you my take Fwiw. Yes tbh ours could be better but I'm absolutely sure if the results again go on a real top bender then the last few matches at home this season will see the atmosphere I'm sure improve no end.

A genuine question though :- does the poster get to go away that often (and this is not a pop by any means) because other than Lincoln and to some extent Pompey away this season I have seen nothing of any great substance that stands out to my mind of any great home atmospheric support. This general apathy at matches for some reason seems to be the norm these days with the majority of home support in league 1 (obviously I can't tell you how the home support is in the championship but I'd like to hope with the bigger crowds/clubs it would be better) and I can honestly say that over the last 4/5 seasons with over a hundred away days dealt with I've never felt in any way shape or form that intimidated or in awe (in a support way) by any home support noise that has come our way and that includes our dear ol' soul's down in SE London. However this would probably change if-and it's a big if we did reach our target of getting to the championship, and by then I'll probably be fitted up with those incontinence pants lol -so I'll be ready for it...the intimidation that is.

However, I/we must be careful of what we wish for as for this coming Saturday we are away to Ipswich where I might add we may come across seeing and hearing the home support omit some type of 'championship style' atmosphere and it is then of course up to the away support and the team to start really well to suppress this threat. If we accomplish this together then the poster if the aforementioned is at Portman Road then he/she may well sample the 'hush hush' home atmosphere for themselves. It is not only a k*ssam stadium disease.

Coyy's.
It was I that posted. Been to 7 away games this season ( 32 years a season ticket holder). I wasn’t just claiming it was an Oxford thing but Grenoble Road was noticeably quiet and subdued last evening. Thought the team deserved more. An observation on my part, but I get that such thoughts translate into the dreaded criticism coupled with negativity. I’d like to think observations are taken at face value.

It was I that posted. Been to 7 away games this season ( 32 years a season ticket holder). I wasn’t just claiming it was an Oxford thing but Grenoble Road was noticeably quiet and subdued last evening. Thought the team deserved more. An observation on my part, but I get that such thoughts translate into the dreaded criticism coupled with negativity. I’d like to think observations are taken at face value.
I was with a group who got absolutely soaked on our way to the ground, literally through to the pants!! It dampened more than just our spirits and I was certainly a little quieter at the beginning.

Last edited:
I was with a group who got absolutely soaked on our way to the ground, literally through to the pants!! It dampened more than just our spirits and I was certainly a little quiter at the beginning.
You’re going to tell me you had a hot water bottle stuffed up your sporran next ?

Just watching the replay of the match that second goal is something else! Absolutely brilliant or a bit of a fluke. Who cares put it into the training manual !

And we have Woodburn to come back, just think of the damage we could do to teams then.

We may again have an embarrassment of riches in the near future, but I do wonder who goes out of this team for Woodburn to walk straight back in.

For the love of God, SURELY he needs to be eased back in as a sub, and we cannot be expected to accommodate him at the expense of a regular straight away?

Jamie Mackie has played in the Premiership; he still wouldn’t be getting games over Marvin Johnson in the Championship right now, especially at full back...
To be fair Mackie is probably in his last season as a pro and Forde should be at hiscoeak as a player!
Marvin Johnson is not playing as a full back for Middlesbrough and is really a winger. Bit force while he did a very decent job as an attacking full back.

Just watching the replay of the match that second goal is something else! Absolutely brilliant or a bit of a fluke. Who cares put it into the training manual !
It was a great flick by Henry Henry in.the build up.

Like I said somewhere else I can see why Forde played the last two due to formation and then lack of attacking from Wimbledon but would expect Long to start at Ipswich.

Even after Forde has played so well the last two games, and long so poorly against Sunderland and Burton?

Back
Top Bottom