+++ 18/12/2019 OUFC v Manchester City +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought his goal celebration was pretty OTT as well, obviously celebrate but not sure the gesturing to the Oxford fans in that corner was warranted
I loved it just after the game where cancelo went over to mackie to try and “make up”. Mackie just started up at him again and cancelo tried to give him a hug. He wasn’t having any of it - looked like a 15 year old boy getting a hug from his auntie :)

I honestly don't know what Sam Long has to do to get credit from some on here. He was defensively very strong and linked up brilliantly with Sykes going forward, and put in some great crosses too. Prior to Sykes coming on he was having to cover for Ageyi who was a little erratic and less defensively disciplined than Hall, if that is possible!

I'm struggling to think of a time where he's had a bad game?

But two of the their goals came from unopposed crosses from Sams side ?

But two of the their goals came from unopposed crosses from Sams side ?

I'm not sure that they reflect the entire game. Both full backs were set up to play narrower than they would normally play. This gave the space for the 2nd goal. The 3rd goal came at a time when we were looking to press higher. Dickie came to clear and didn't get enough on the ball which allowed the quick break behind him and Long, who was positioned in anticipation of Dickie winning the first ball.

Both of these goals also came from unopposed tap ins in the middle, but no one is criticising the cb's. It was Man City and any tiny error was going to be exploited. But that doesn't take away from a very good defensive display, particularly from Sam Long, and some really exciting link up play between him and Sykes on the right.

I'm not sure that they reflect the entire game. Both full backs were set up to play narrower than they would normally play. This gave the space for the 2nd goal. The 3rd goal came at a time when we were looking to press higher. Dickie came to clear and didn't get enough on the ball which allowed the quick break behind him and Long, who was positioned in anticipation of Dickie winning the first ball.

That's how I saw the 3rd goal, and judging by Dickie's body language and reaction so did he!

Both of these goals also came from unopposed tap ins in the middle, but no one is criticising the cb's. It was Man City and any tiny error was going to be exploited. But that doesn't take away from a very good defensive display, particularly from Sam Long, and some really exciting link up play between him and Sykes on the right.

Which were brought about by Top quality attacking passing and movement. it really beggars belief that some don't appear to have noticed this so i feel you're wasting your time Scotchers

sick of Mackie and his pantomime performances week in week out can he actually play football?hes a striker who doesn't score goals and is hell bent on winding opposing players up oh and me.
Yep, if Mackie is still a regular starter or regular sub after January there's something wrong.
He was woeful in his first half-season, then he reinvented himself as a chippy shithouser and that was actually good to see during a time when we needed some oomph and some more aggressive presence.
But his lack of pace and lack of touch are increasingly out of place in the team that KR has built. Having got to like him a bit I realised just how poor he is in the game at Fleetwood. In that game he seemed to have decided to refrain from winding anyone up, and in the absence of that his lack of footballing presence was cruelly exposed.
It's noticeable that he seems to get on well with KR, they have lots of banter. He could well fit into the coaching staff, and could do well in that role.

I actually think Mackie still has something to offer, yes he is slow but technically still pretty decent. I even thought he might start v Wycombe tomorrow to give Taylor a bit of a breather. And Mackie v Wycombe could be ideal.

Actually, on this occasion Cancelo was the t**t.
He deliberately kicked Mackie off the ball then after Mackie turned around to face him, he fell on the floor feigning some imaginary retaliation hoping to get Mackie sent off.
Little wonder that he got upset and
@oxfordfan1, your comment about goals... Well clearly you haven’t been watching how we play recently.
Are you seriously pissed off about our lack of goals????????
Unquestionably, it will not be easy against why come on Saturday, but I guarantee that you will be glad of Mackie and all of his shithousery at some point really soon.

Actually, on this occasion Cancelo was the t**t.
He deliberately kicked Mackie off the ball then after Mackie turned around to face him, he fell on the floor feigning some imaginary retaliation hoping to get Mackie sent off.
Little wonder that he got upset and
@oxfordfan1, your comment about goals... Well clearly you haven’t been watching how we play recently.
Are you seriously pissed off about our lack of goals????????
Unquestionably, it will not be easy against why come on Saturday, but I guarantee that you will be glad of Mackie and all of his shithousery at some point really soon.

Jamie Mackie didn’t start it but there was definitely some non-imaginary retaliation from him!! (Not enough to drop someone to the floor I agree)

I actually think Mackie still has something to offer, yes he is slow but technically still pretty decent. I even thought he might start v Wycombe tomorrow to give Taylor a bit of a breather. And Mackie v Wycombe could be ideal.

To start Mackie ahead of Taylor would be lunacy in my opinion. Makie is great but has zero goal threat, Taylor looks sharp and has just scored against the PL champions. We need to win this game so need goals, it's not some two legged affair where a 0-0 draw will do.

Mackie maybe late on to help preserve a lead, defend from the front or, if we are chasing the game, help free up Taylor but to start ahead of our main striker ? Madness in a must win fixture.

To start Mackie ahead of Taylor would be lunacy in my opinion. Mackie is great but has zero goal threat, Taylor looks sharp and has just scored against the PL champions. We need to win this game so need goals, it's not some two legged affair where a 0-0 draw will do.

Mackie maybe late on to help preserve a lead, defend from the front or, if we are chasing the game, help free up Taylor but to start ahead of our main striker ? Madness in a must win fixture.

Depends what KR wants to do. Starting with Mackie and then throw on Taylor later in the game to get at tiring defenders is not an unreasonable tactic.

Jamie Mackie didn’t start it but there was definitely some non-imaginary retaliation from him!! (Not enough to drop someone to the floor I agree)
lack of mackies goals not the squad in general 1 in 23 games! he is the rich mans john obika

Last edited:
would be even better if he could play football just saying, if your diego costa shithousery is fine as he scores plenty of goals and is not just judged on being a complete and utter c##t.

We`ve always had at least one player who is more than handy at shithousery, some score lots, some don`t. In a team of differing folk you need a balance of people.... Mackie obviously brings something to the team apart from "just goals", think experience, nous etc. A team is better with him than without IMHO.

I don`t think we are struggling with goals............. ;)

He has been very poor recently. His best games by a distance have come against West Ham and today.
Maybe he needs to come off the bench to be used more as an impact player
That's how I see him. He is much better off the bench and seemed to have lost his way in the last month or so. He has a lot of ability and coming off the bench on the right hand side really suits him and he was excellent on Wednesday. Long seemed to also be much more comfortable when Sykes came on. Hopefully, in time he can develop and be used in the starting XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom