+++ 18/12/2019 OUFC v Manchester City +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
We`ve always had at least one player who is more than handy at shithousery, some score lots, some don`t. In a team of differing folk you need a balance of people.... Mackie obviously brings something to the team apart from "just goals", think experience, nous etc. A team is better with him than without IMHO.

I don`t think we are struggling with goals............. ;)
Amazing to think someone who "can't play football" has 60 premier league appearances?

will check his stats for them games now I'm guessing mackie scored loads of goals and these days he is just getting on a bit and loves being the pantomime villain.

will check his stats for them games now I'm guessing mackie scored loads of goals and these days he is just getting on a bit and loves being the pantomime villain.

He played as wide midfielder then, not upfront. He did play upfront earlier in his career though.

7 goals in the first 31 games, not bad for a winger in a team fighting relegation. Even more impressive for someone who can't play football as you put it!
He might be slower and less agile as before, but he's experienced and knows the game inside out, knows the runs to make and puts defenders under pressure allowing our attacking midfielders and wingers more freedom.
I'm not against bringing in someone younger and better than Mackie obviously, but to say he can't play football is a load of rubbish

The other point to note with Mackie is the influence and respect he has of the team. It came across in the Telegraph article that he obviously brings a lot more to the show behind the scenes as well as on the pitch.

Ultimately I think any professional sports team needs a player/person that others see on the pitch as giving their all and fighting for the club. It raises the level for everyone and helps to set a standard/expectation.

He may not score hatfuls of goals but he has a place in the squad at the moment and provides something different. Considering the love in for players like Hall in the past who’s been crocked for at least 2 seasons I think the criticism is a bit unfounded. Still it’s football and everyone has opinions on the game!

The other point to note with Mackie is the influence and respect he has of the team. It came across in the Telegraph article that he obviously brings a lot more to the show behind the scenes as well as on the pitch.

Ultimately I think any professional sports team needs a player/person that others see on the pitch as giving their all and fighting for the club. It raises the level for everyone and helps to set a standard/expectation.

He may not score hatfuls of goals but he has a place in the squad at the moment and provides something different. Considering the love in for players like Hall in the past who’s been crocked for at least 2 seasons I think the criticism is a bit unfounded. Still it’s football and everyone has opinions on the game!
I was just going to post the same. He's a massive influence on the day and with his higher level experience, someone the younger players can see who got there from the lower leagues.

The stuff with Cancelo was brilliant to watch - although I suspect a lot of the language was NSFW

The other point to note with Mackie is the influence and respect he has of the team.
As I noted in my previous post, Mackie could well have an ongoing role at the club on the coaching staff.
Of course he was a decent footballer and he's had a sound career. But we're talking L1 going into 2020 in a team that is a credible candidate for the play-offs.
I agree with those who say shithousery has its place. The problem is though that shithousery needs to be backed up if it's to be credible and useful. Central defenders have no problem dealing with strikers who have mouth but no pace or touch.

Unless I’m imagining it, it was immediately after the cancelo-shithouse incident that we then dominated for a patch. I think mackie generates a lot of that, and without him on the pitch we might not have had more chances on goal than most other teams. Maybe more prem teams need a mackie, rather worrying as much about individual goal tallies.

would be even better if he could play football just saying, if your diego costa shithousery is fine as he scores plenty of goals and is not just judged on being a complete and utter c##t.
School holidays have started then?!

FFS Get off of his back. The man is 100% effort , commitment and passion . If he scored 20 goals a season he wouldn't be with us. He creates chaos and confusion amongst opposition defences leaving spaces for others. Leave the "Mackienator" alone please.

I actually think Mackie still has something to offer, yes he is slow but technically still pretty decent. I even thought he might start v Wycombe tomorrow to give Taylor a bit of a breather. And Mackie v Wycombe could be ideal.
I think that would play into their hands completely, the style they play is all about the dark arts and we need to not get drawn into a battle of attrition as we will lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom