Away Match Day Thread 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

I'm 100% completely opposed to this happening, why the hell should the rich clubs get to hoard talent and basically destroy the integrity of the Football League? They would throw more money at their 'B' sides than we could ever afford, and would all probably end up in The Championship distorting that division.
Not a chance, as I say below, maybe 1 or 2 would make it into the EFL. Ultimately, you couldn't stop them going that route, but if that is the stance the authorities took, pretty sure all of the teams wouldn't bother and that would be the last of it
Spot on - if the OUFC fixture list was made up of a combination of say 12 teams such as Pompey, Accrington and Shrewsbury etc. and 11 teams such as Man City B, Norwich B, that would be it for me, I’d have to find something else to do on Saturday Afternoons.
You think 11 B teams would get from Level 7 of the pyramid system to League One... I don't think so

Not a chance, as I say below, maybe 1 or 2 would make it into the EFL. Ultimately, you couldn't stop them going that route, but if that is the stance the authorities took, pretty sure all of the teams wouldn't bother and that would be the last of it

You think 11 B teams would get from Level 7 of the pyramid system to League One... I don't think so
The ONLY point to 'B' sides is for the parent club to have a place playing at as high a level as possible for them to send out prospects and fringe players, do you honestly think that top PL clubs would go to the hassle of this if they were happy for the teams to bumble around in the Conference or lower? Of course they wont. If it happens, it won't be like the 'B' sides playing in the Pizza Trophy, it would be stronger sides that would have no problem going up through the divisions. I honestly think it would be naïve to think otherwise.

The ONLY point to 'B' sides is for the parent club to have a place playing at as high a level as possible for them to send out prospects and fringe players, do you honestly think that top PL clubs would go to the hassle of this if they were happy for the teams to bumble around in the Conference or lower? Of course they wont. If it happens, it won't be like the 'B' sides playing in the Pizza Trophy, it would be stronger sides that would have no problem going up through the divisions. I honestly think it would be naïve to think otherwise.
If they stay within the rules including on spending... it's competition ultimately

You point on destroying the integrity of the football league, where is your integrity for sport? I know I'll be alone on this but if a team wants to start at the bottom, whether that be Man City B or Blackbird Leys, and stay within the rules set out, making their way through all of the leagues to get to the football league, then I'm sorry, they deserve to be there.

Ultimately none of the big clubs would bother with the hassle, hence killing the idea dead anyway, which kind of would be the point.

If they stay within the rules including on spending... it's competition ultimately

You point on destroying the integrity of the football league, where is your integrity for sport? I know I'll be alone on this but if a team wants to start at the bottom, whether that be Man City B or Blackbird Leys, and stay within the rules set out, making their way through all of the leagues to get to the football league, then I'm sorry, they deserve to be there.

Ultimately none of the big clubs would bother with the hassle, hence killing the idea dead anyway, which kind of would be the point.
I think some of the big clubs would bother with the hassle unfortunately, Chelsea for instance have (had?) a massive squad with players out on loan all across Europe. If they could build their own side to handle this, then I'm sure they would. Ditto this for Man City, Man Utd also.

The question of integrity you pose isn't comparing like with like. A 'B' side would have an inherent advantage through things like backing, sponsorship, an established fanbase. What would happen is they would hoover up a lot more of the young talent than they did even now, put them on more money than a club such as ours could afford and not feel the need to loan out players to smaller clubs at all.

I'm all for new clubs being formed and working their way to the top, that's what the football pyramid is all about. 'B' Teams isn't this.

I think some of the big clubs would bother with the hassle unfortunately, Chelsea for instance have (had?) a massive squad with players out on loan all across Europe. If they could build their own side to handle this, then I'm sure they would. Ditto this for Man City, Man Utd also.

The question of integrity you pose isn't comparing like with like. A 'B' side would have an inherent advantage through things like backing, sponsorship, an established fanbase. What would happen is they would hoover up a lot more of the young talent than they did even now, put them on more money than a club such as ours could afford and not feel the need to loan out players to smaller clubs at all.

I'm all for new clubs being formed and working their way to the top, that's what the football pyramid is all about. 'B' Teams isn't this.
Sounds to me like your problem is with the rules being there to prevent them having massive advantages, which I think most would support if not already in place

If those teams you mentioned would, why haven't they, there is literally nothing stopping them currently as far as I understand

Sounds to me like your problem is with the rules being there to prevent them having massive advantages, which I think most would support if not already in place

If those teams you mentioned would, why haven't they, there is literally nothing stopping them currently as far as I understand
Yes there are rules about co-ownership of clubs which would prevent it, also FFP would probably make it difficult as well.

And an away game at Man U 'B' would likely take place at somewhere like Northwich Victoria as per where a lot of the Prem U23s games takes place - watching OUFC vs some Prem reserves at a non-league ground - no thanks, I'll go fishing with CamBran instead.

Sky realised the value was in the content, that's why they almost went bust paying for premiership at the start, BT the same. Used football as a loss-leader to harvest subscriptions. It's mind-boggling that the league owners have missed this.
Quite. We’re subsequently in a position where Sky has spent years giving football heroin in the form of cash, and now it’s too dependant on it to even think about getting away.

I reckon Amazon will take it all over eventually, and open up all games.

Brentford B beat Oldham 7-0, that’s the newest prem team against admittedly the worst team in the football league (already beaten Forest green though) but I doubt the b teams would have much trouble getting into the football league and dominating from there, they are just to rich.

Brentford B beat Oldham 7-0, that’s the newest prem team against admittedly the worst team in the football league (already beaten Forest green though) but I doubt the b teams would have much trouble getting into the football league and dominating from there, they are just to rich.
The day that happens it will be the demise of grass roots football ie leagues 1 & 2

Back
Top Bottom