Home Match Day Thread 19/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brannagan was MOM for me. Thorniley, Sykes and Taylor all had decent games. Seddon and Kane were particularly poor last night and the rest all flitted in and out with some good moments but, on the whole, pretty ordinary. Job done though and no need for anyone to be slaughtered for dipping a bit below their expectation level.

I wasn't at the game due to a combination of working late and being full of cold, but watched the game back this morning.

Having read others views, I'm not sure it was as bad a first half as some were saying. Yes we struggled at times to get any real flow to the game, but Taylor could have got 4! The one where he spins 6 yards out goes in without a touch, and could still have gone anywhere. His header was unlucky as it seemed to just get on him a bit quicker and he couldn't keep it down. The offside goal was marginal, and we've seem him score before with the shot across goal after Sykes "fell" in the box.

Second half was definitely more purposeful and whilst Sykes got the important goal, a lot of credit goes to Taylor. He had worried their defence so much that the keeper was focused on him getting a touch and missed the ball going straight through. Brannagan should have then buried the header soon after, and I think we would have seen 2 or 3 more had that gone in.

Rest of the half we played a bit within ourselves. Still creating chances but looking to close out the game. It's what we've needed, but it isn't our natural game, but we gave virtually no chances whilst one nil. Great to see Brannagan score at the end, he deserved that one recent performances. He plays like a big kid at times, hates losing but absolutely loves winning and scoring and that should give him a real buzz for Saturday.

We dropped off a bit after the second and gave them two decent chances, but a clean sheet was needed and will hopefully give the defence a much needed confidence boost. I don't think any of the back 5 are playing particularly badly, but none have yet hit the standards we know they're capable of. Hopefully, whilst not fantastic, this is a game to build from.

Away from our game, results show how difficult it is to call this season. Ipswich hadn't clicked but battered Pompey away. MK Dons had a great result away at Wigan, Plymouth still flying, Lincoln, Charlton and Fleetwood a long way below where they'd want to be.

Our dominance in games, missing key chances, defensive mistakes etc has meant that we're maybe 5 or 6 points off where we should be. But we're still in a decent position with absolutely no reason why we can't push into that top 6.

First half was a bit iffy but the goal straight after half time gave us a big boost. Then we picked the tempo up and our midfield started to take control. Sykes work rate stood out and Brannagan kept plugging away and was rewarded with a goal. Shrewsbury did get into one or two good positions but the defence stayed focused and deserved a clean sheet.

I wasn't at the game due to a combination of working late and being full of cold, but watched the game back this morning.

Having read others views, I'm not sure it was as bad a first half as some were saying. Yes we struggled at times to get any real flow to the game, but Taylor could have got 4! The one where he spins 6 yards out goes in without a touch, and could still have gone anywhere. His header was unlucky as it seemed to just get on him a bit quicker and he couldn't keep it down. The offside goal was marginal, and we've seem him score before with the shot across goal after Sykes "fell" in the box.

Second half was definitely more purposeful and whilst Sykes got the important goal, a lot of credit goes to Taylor. He had worried their defence so much that the keeper was focused on him getting a touch and missed the ball going straight through. Brannagan should have then buried the header soon after, and I think we would have seen 2 or 3 more had that gone in.

Rest of the half we played a bit within ourselves. Still creating chances but looking to close out the game. It's what we've needed, but it isn't our natural game, but we gave virtually no chances whilst one nil. Great to see Brannagan score at the end, he deserved that one recent performances. He plays like a big kid at times, hates losing but absolutely loves winning and scoring and that should give him a real buzz for Saturday.

We dropped off a bit after the second and gave them two decent chances, but a clean sheet was needed and will hopefully give the defence a much needed confidence boost. I don't think any of the back 5 are playing particularly badly, but none have yet hit the standards we know they're capable of. Hopefully, whilst not fantastic, this is a game to build from.

Away from our game, results show how difficult it is to call this season. Ipswich hadn't clicked but battered Pompey away. MK Dons had a great result away at Wigan, Plymouth still flying, Lincoln, Charlton and Fleetwood a long way below where they'd want to be.

Our dominance in games, missing key chances, defensive mistakes etc has meant that we're maybe 5 or 6 points off where we should be. But we're still in a decent position with absolutely no reason why we can't push into that top 6.

Taylor is playing really well at the minute. Chasing everything and holding the ball up really well, he won a fair few 40-60 balls last night and one knock down in the second half, where he had no right to beat the centre back, was superb. Football formations have moved on but I think Taylor is a player who would have thrived in the old style little and large strike partnerships. Too many times, in the second half especially, he was pulling out wide leaving no one in the box. No fault of his and it was indicative of his willingness to put a shift in.

BOOM

FCIEwNlX0AUG3S4

Mmmm not sure about that but he'll get back to it I'm sure.

Speaking of Clare and KR constantly picking him as RB last season, well this year my frustration has been replaced with playing Gavin Whyte on the left or middle.

Worryingly for me we missed lots of chances while its great on the other hand we are still creating even while not on top form .
Jan really needs a balancing act with Winnall, Bodin , One or two other right sided players need to go and replace with a centre forward to offer something different to Matty T , an actual left sided midfielder/ winger and cover at left back .
Gorrin has to play to add stability to the midfield , missed him against Plym .
Success will bring crowds , 4 places higher and an extra 500 fans .
Big big January coming up .
Gorrin should have played against Plymouth, who have been overloading midfield all season, and I thought Kane should have started in that position last night - Gorrin did more playmaking than defensive work and that isn't his game.

Gorrin should have played against Plymouth, who have been overloading midfield all season, and I thought Kane should have started in that position last night - Gorrin did more playmaking than defensive work and that isn't his game.
Yes I agree, he did well with short passes but did give the ball away a few times when he got more ambitious.

First half was hard work last night, against a team who were set up to stop us. It's telling that one of their fans stated it was their best half of the season so far (yes....really) and they did a good job of blocking off movement.

In the second half, you had Sykes and Whyte playing on the left and right, and the former was moving really well, that combined with quicker build up got the better of Shrewsbury and once we'd scored their gameplan was fuct. The only minor disappointment was that we didn't increase the lead sooner.

Seddon was iffy in the first half, and after a strong start, think he's having a bit of a confidence crisis, but other than that, everyone else had fair to good games.

Think that, yes, probably played better on Saturday, but happy all round. And Plymouth's result at Bolton shows that their result against us was no fluke.

Sam Long needs to seriously up his game he is currently looking worse than Clare was last season, Forde must be extremely frustrated.
A bit OTT!

He’s clearly still feeling his way back, after so long out, but to say he’s worse than Clare was, is an insult.

I do agree though, Forde was excellent in Long’s absence, and was getting better and better, so yeah, he must be very frustrated at losing his place.

Long will get better with each game, he’s too professional, determined and hard working not to, if not, Forde will be waiting to step in.

A bit OTT!

He’s clearly still feeling his way back, after so long out, but to say he’s worse than Clare was, is an insult.

I do agree though, Forde was excellent in Long’s absence, and was getting better and better, so yeah, he must be very frustrated at losing his place.

Long will get better with each game, he’s too professional, determined and hard working not to, if not, Forde will be waiting to step in.
I'm a fan of Sam Long and appreciate he is still getting up to speed, but he is still looking a little laboured. He did at least begin to get forward in the 2nd half.

First half was poor without a doubt, they nicked up in the second half but the first half definitely poor.

Let’s get 6 points from the next two games (Burton,morcambe ) to give us a boost because November is looking a tricky month fixture wise we’ve got Ipswich,Wigan away and Fleetwood,Rotherham at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom