Home Match Day Thread 19/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s get 6 points from the next two games (Burton,morcambe ) to give us a boost because November is looking a tricky month fixture wise we’ve got Ipswich,Wigan away and Fleetwood,Rotherham at home
Easy

I wasn't at the game due to a combination of working late and being full of cold, but watched the game back this morning.

Having read others views, I'm not sure it was as bad a first half as some were saying. Yes we struggled at times to get any real flow to the game, but Taylor could have got 4! The one where he spins 6 yards out goes in without a touch, and could still have gone anywhere. His header was unlucky as it seemed to just get on him a bit quicker and he couldn't keep it down. The offside goal was marginal, and we've seem him score before with the shot across goal after Sykes "fell" in the box.

Second half was definitely more purposeful and whilst Sykes got the important goal, a lot of credit goes to Taylor. He had worried their defence so much that the keeper was focused on him getting a touch and missed the ball going straight through. Brannagan should have then buried the header soon after, and I think we would have seen 2 or 3 more had that gone in.

Rest of the half we played a bit within ourselves. Still creating chances but looking to close out the game. It's what we've needed, but it isn't our natural game, but we gave virtually no chances whilst one nil. Great to see Brannagan score at the end, he deserved that one recent performances. He plays like a big kid at times, hates losing but absolutely loves winning and scoring and that should give him a real buzz for Saturday.

We dropped off a bit after the second and gave them two decent chances, but a clean sheet was needed and will hopefully give the defence a much needed confidence boost. I don't think any of the back 5 are playing particularly badly, but none have yet hit the standards we know they're capable of. Hopefully, whilst not fantastic, this is a game to build from.

Away from our game, results show how difficult it is to call this season. Ipswich hadn't clicked but battered Pompey away. MK Dons had a great result away at Wigan, Plymouth still flying, Lincoln, Charlton and Fleetwood a long way below where they'd want to be.

Our dominance in games, missing key chances, defensive mistakes etc has meant that we're maybe 5 or 6 points off where we should be. But we're still in a decent position with absolutely no reason why we can't push into that top 6.
Scotch how do you become this positive? You need to start a motivational speaking course.

Do you really think L1 footballers can produce blistering performances week in and week out ? They’re in that league for a reason. I honestly don’t know what people expect, that was a solid enough, standard 2-0 home win. We weren’t at our very best but didn't need to be, the main thing is we were in complete control and comfortably saw the game out. Teams everywhere who are successful have a whole load of those type of performance throughout a season.

A great three points and good response from Saturday.

Yeah I think I agree with you actually. Expectations were too high for the standard of performance, and also got higher when I saw how dreadful Shrewsbury were - hence the reaction.

But again, on reflection - it was a bit rash

Still think we have a lot to improve though and that should have been more comfortable earlier on than the 46th minute.

Very strange interview, eyes darting all over the show and seemed to have forgot we had more than the two chances we scored from !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom