Home Match Day Thread 19/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had to get stronger and we did so it's good to get the win but I can't help thinking our league position is a fair reflection of the team so far. We're going to have to push on if we want to get anything out of the season.

Last edited:
well that was a game of two half’s wasn’t it the first was shite but the 2nd we were much better points in the bag job done Sykes and Brannigan both score yer move on to Burton

To be honest there was a lot worrying about that 1st half, and we're still not clinical enough in the 2nd half. But yeah, a lackluster win on a rainy October Tuesday evening against Shrews is the sort of thing that gets us through the season and will see us top half (and hopefully challenging) come the business end of term.
I agree with this summation. A better team would have punished us tonight.

I'm not seeing much to convince me we are much more than a mid-table side this term but I live in eternal hope.

I wish Karl the best but I dont think we miss him on the touchline. He's a good coach but very limited tactically, so it's fine to have Mous on the sidelines instead.

I agree with this summation. A better team would have punished us tonight.

I'm not seeing much to convince me we are much more than a mid-table side this term but I live in eternal hope.

I wish Karl the best but I dont think we miss him on the touchline. He's a good coach but very limited tactically, so it's fine to have Mous on the sidelines instead.
Seriously? With 15/20 phone calls per half..hardly think KR was "silent" on all football matters and rather think that Shorty calls the shots over Mous in this case.

Poor first half, better 2nd half, rare clean sheet & scored 2 . Handy 3pts

played better saturday yet lost

Funny old game isnt it

All about the result, poor conditions and a visiting team who came to just not get beat.

Well done to the mighty U's for sticking at it!

Happy trip back to the big smoke for me.

Not a great performance, drab game, wet and dark, small crowd with no away fans and not much atmosphere, CL on TV. I really enjoyed it.

I suspect we’d been told to get a clean sheet and so weren’t really pouring forward. Once we’d scored I could only see us winning as Shrewsbury were dreadful, but it only takes one slip and two points are gone. Beats me what the point of Whyte on the left is, is it to confuse the opposition?

Lacked fluency for large parts but were comfortable against probably the worst team we have faced.

Sykes has to play on current form. He’s been our best player to date this season and was MOM again tonight.

We look a more solid unit with Gorrin + 2 in the midfield.

Slightly disappointing crowd tonight - less than 5500 Ox fans. What does the club need to do, in order to re-engage the casual fans?

Result was better than the performance for me but that first half was error strung.
Scored early and looked the better for it second-half without being scintillating. Kept us all just a little concerned until that killer second goal went in.
How the referee missed that awful tackle on Sykes I will never know.
To play on without even noting a foul had been committed was just plain criminal.
Still, we got back to winning ways and a clean sheet too so all good.

Lacked fluency for large parts but were comfortable against probably the worst team we have faced.

Sykes has to play on current form. He’s been our best player to date this season and was MOM again tonight.

We look a more solid unit with Gorrin + 2 in the midfield.

Slightly disappointing crowd tonight - less than 5500 Ox fans. What does the club need to do, in order to re-engage the casual fans?
It was a real ‘regulars only’ night. I wonder if major marketing initiatives are on hold till there’s some sort of news about the takeover and ground.

There was only two or three people in the chip shop when I arrived, all of whom were sat down eating, and they still didn’t have a fry ready. I’ve given up hope that they’ll ever be able to satisfy my needs. The Cadillac booth in the bowling alley was already taken as well. I call it ‘Betty’.

First half was crap and they looked more up for at least trying to score albeit fairly hopelessly. Flashed a couple of efforts / cross shots past the frame which was more than we offered but never really felt too troubled. Midfield was way too far forward in relation to the defence so there was no way of playing through, and Shrewsbury had the freedom of the midfield. That they couldn’t do anything with it tells you how poor they are. Straight after half time you could see that the midfield was showing for the ball more and had closed the distance, and after 60 seconds the ball was in the net. Left it late to put it to bed but a home win, and a clean sheet for good measure, is what it was all about. You have to be able to win games even when you aren’t firing and the conditions are rubbish if you want to have a chance, so the manner of the win was actually very positive even if it wasn’t fun to watch.

Four wins and a draw for me this season, including 3/3 at home. Get your £10 Morecambe tickets - I’ll be guaranteeing another victory. Maybe I’ll try the burger van by the south corner…

Can’t help but feel we had the team tonight that should have started against Plymouth, and vice versa.

Still, a satisfying win which we deserved by the end. Shrewsbury were poor, mind.

They were shite, first half was shite, second half we were by far the better team and deserved the 3 points.

Would put money on them going down if I had any to spare, not much ability and not much fight from tonight’s showing, easily the worst team I have seen us play so far.

Another three points, better second half, Sam needs to get back to where he was last year, Sykes better, Whyte not at the game, what did Hull do to him?, Seddon needs to improve, pleased so now we can stuff Burton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom