Home Match Day Thread 20/03/2021 L1 OUFC v Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have got to get Brannigan further forwards like Doncaster. He's our only midfielder with energy and strong. I do like Lee but not seen him enough. Henry has been brilliant but I do feel this is his last season with us. Blackpool were head and shoulders better in there midfield. It's testerment to our team we are still in with a shout of the play offs and football is a funny old game. We certainly haven't got the strength through the midfield a part from the wingers you don't expect many of them to score please prove me wrong this weak .🙏

Out played
Out fought
Out thought(KR)
Dougall for Blackpool was the best midfielder on the pitch.
Yes agree. When pressed we seem to lose the ability to trap the ball and non of the midfield look to make a positive pass. Why, why why do we always look back instead of forward. Also sometimes (mostly) the player receiving the ball could hold and look forward rather than pass first time backwards. Watch Blackpool midfield and they consistently moved and played positive one twos. Speed of transition fed their attack and killed ours. We must have learnt that by now surely

• React
Reactions: ljs
Let’s don’t forget that when we were in the bottom 4 after around 15/16 games the majority on here would have accepted staying up this season and the more optimistic would have accepted mid table.
We are a top half team this year overall but not a team that is worthy of promotion
Even in our winning run,some games we were only average.
We have to face facts and statistics don’t lie there are 7/8 teams better than us this season

I don't think it can be underestimated how much we're missing Sam Long too. Our options to replace him are Forde, decent going forward but got ripped to pieces defensively by Hull, and Hanson, decent defensively but offers zero support to the right winger. Sam has the ability to do both and not having him has made us incredibly weak on the right side of the pitch, so we've had to constantly try get it to Barker on the left and hope he can beat 3 players every time he gets the ball. Blackpool stuck two men tight on him and he couldn't get anything going for most of the game. I also wonder whether it's worth telling Gorrin just to clatter someone to get his booking and ban out the way. He get's a rest and can come back and play the enforcer rather than the timid "don't get booked" Gorrin who we're seeing recently.

We probably aren't in the best six teams this season at the moment - far too inconsistent. But the season for us definitely is not over, moreso because 80% of the league are nearly as inconsistent as we are. We've got four games left of the 11 against those fighting for playoff places, then 7 against teams who are probably out of the mix. If we continue our record of losing to those above us and beating those below us that's 24 points which takes us to 77 - which should be more than plenty this season for the playoffs. I could see the low 70s being enough with how often the playoff challengers are losing currently, so take any points from Lincoln, Sunderland, Gillingham and/or Accrington and we'll be in a really good position. Even if we lose all four but win the other 7 and we'll be on 74 points. Keep the faith!

I don't think it can be underestimated how much we're missing Sam Long too. Our options to replace him are Forde, decent going forward but got ripped to pieces defensively by Hull, and Hanson, decent defensively but offers zero support to the right winger. Sam has the ability to do both and not having him has made us incredibly weak on the right side of the pitch, so we've had to constantly try get it to Barker on the left and hope he can beat 3 players every time he gets the ball. Blackpool stuck two men tight on him and he couldn't get anything going for most of the game. I also wonder whether it's worth telling Gorrin just to clatter someone to get his booking and ban out the way. He get's a rest and can come back and play the enforcer rather than the timid "don't get booked" Gorrin who we're seeing recently.

We probably aren't in the best six teams this season at the moment - far too inconsistent. But the season for us definitely is not over, moreso because 80% of the league are nearly as inconsistent as we are. We've got four games left of the 11 against those fighting for playoff places, then 7 against teams who are probably out of the mix. If we continue our record of losing to those above us and beating those below us that's 24 points which takes us to 77 - which should be more than plenty this season for the playoffs. I could see the low 70s being enough with how often the playoff challengers are losing currently, so take any points from Lincoln, Sunderland, Gillingham and/or Accrington and we'll be in a really good position. Even if we lose all four but win the other 7 and we'll be on 74 points. Keep the faith!
Yes well said, there are a lot of points to play for. Some here seem
to think that playoff places will be awarded for artistic impression , whereas scruffy wins over the likes of Burton could be what takes us there.

Let’s don’t forget that when we were in the bottom 4 after around 15/16 games the majority on here would have accepted staying up this season and the more optimistic would have accepted mid table.
We are a top half team this year overall but not a team that is worthy of promotion
Even in our winning run,some games we were only average.
We have to face facts and statistics don’t lie there are 7/8 teams better than us this season
Agree with all of that and i`m probably clutching at straws with this but i`m clinging on to 2 things.
I don`t think we have seen the best of this team by a long shot, Henry and Long coming back should push
us up a level, i also think that if we ever had a fully fit squad to choose from we would be a top 4 side,
McGaune, Barker, Henry, Taylor all on form would be beautiful.

Know exactly what you mean by being worthy of promotion, going up in style is the way to do it
but if push came to shove i would quite happily sneak in the back door if that was the only option.

Agree with all of that and i`m probably clutching at straws with this but i`m clinging on to 2 things.
I don`t think we have seen the best of this team by a long shot, Henry and Long coming back should push
us up a level, i also think that if we ever had a fully fit squad to choose from we would be a top 4 side,
McGaune, Barker, Henry, Taylor all on form would be beautiful.

Know exactly what you mean by being worthy of promotion, going up in style is the way to do it
but if push came to shove i would quite happily sneak in the back door if that was the only option.
As far as I am aware McGuane is out for the season, so that particular straw isn't one to clutch at.

Please tell me I am wrong!

As far as I am aware McGuane is out for the season, so that particular straw isn't one to clutch at.

Please tell me I am wrong!
Wish i could !

I didnt really follow up that thought, its about how expectation levels are probably
higher than they they should be as on paper we have a better team than 7/8th.
Even if you take McGaune out of the equation, on paper i would still fancy our
chances of getting into the playoffs.

would’ve been good to play them on the original date when we were flying and they were shite.
they seem to be grinding out a few results and beat Pompey recently.
would be a much needed 3 points though

ah. this should be on the other thread

Variety is the spice of life......... Blackpool done to us exactly what we did to Donny.
If the manager changes the team he`s "tinkering" if he doesn`t he`s "clueless".
The team on the pitch in the second half could have easily made it 2-2 or even a 3-2 win....
Explain why he would be clueless if he kept the same side that produced our best first half of the season ?

Would seem common sense surely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom