Away Match Day Thread 20/04/2021 L1 AFC Wimbledon v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry also tried to handball off the line when Wycombe scored their first in play off final.

I would imagine Robinson gave him a bollocking in privacy of dressing room. Poor mistake.

Let’s face it, the reason why Henry as well as most other players his age are at Oxford or at a League one club, is that they have questionable, unreliable mentalities and poor decision making in important moments. Otherwise he’d be turning out for Wolves in the PL!
When you support a league one club you just have to hope the team becomes more than the sum of their parts so they can beat bigger teams. I believe we haven’t done this under Robinson and have been undermined by his recruitment of useless and/or injury prone midfielders (Kelly, Hanson, Mcguane) rather than shoring up full back positions which is why we’re relying on an unlikely gatecrash into the playoffs. These small but big mistakes are inevitable though in any team at this level.

Let’s face it, the reason why Henry as well as most other players his age are at Oxford or at a League one club, is that they have questionable, unreliable mentalities and poor decision making in important moments. Otherwise he’d be turning out for Wolves in the PL!
When you support a league one club you just have to hope the team becomes more than the sum of their parts so they can beat bigger teams. I believe we haven’t done this under Robinson and have been undermined by his recruitment of useless and/or injury prone midfielders (Kelly, Hanson, Mcguane) rather than shoring up full back positions which is why we’re relying on an unlikely gatecrash into the playoffs. These small but big mistakes are inevitable though in any team at this level.
Where do you think this team should finish?

Did you honestly just quote Maguane as being useless and/or injury prone? Goodness me. One relatively serious injury in his career, and now he’s injury prone? He was our best player before his unfortunate injury. An injury that was his first of that kind, I might add. Utter nonsense.

And you said you say we can’t beat bigger teams. I seem to remember us smashing West Ham 4-0 at home, taking Newcastle to extra time across 2 legs, registering more shots on goal against a Pep managed Man City team than any other team has done. Again, utter nonsense.

Wonderfully obscure argument about whether Henry acted on instinct, love it.

Bloody hell, have you put McGuane in the same bracket as Kelly and Hanson, Kelly, useless, Hanson injury prone and useless, McGuane, neither.

To be pedantic Henry should have been nearer the post not behind Stevens. If he was where he should have been he could have headed it clear.

Just as an afterthought, does anyone think that Henry should have let the ball go into the net rather than handling it? That way, it would still have been 1-1 but we would have had 11 players still on the pitch and who knows what might have happened. I know it's pure speculation, just wondering what others think.
I played the game all my life and was sent off for the same thing, it’s just instinct the same as holding back or fouling a player when you are the last man. I was sent off for that as well

And you said you say we can’t beat bigger teams. I seem to remember us smashing West Ham 4-0 at home, taking Newcastle to extra time across 2 legs, registering more shots on goal against a Pep managed Man City team than any other team has done. Again, utter nonsense.

In 2 of those examples we lost, you realise?

And, the comment was about beating the bigger teams in L1, where we have one win out of 24 games (to use your budget figures).

Injury prone? How do you know? He had a bad injury from playing a game of football and as far as we know one injury doesn’t make someone injury prone.

Heroes and villains. Fine margins.
Henry passed instead of shooting at Wembley.
On Tuesday he shot from a similar position and the keeper saved it.
Handball, sent off, 2-1 down shortly after.
If he’d made different split second decision on either of these he could have been a hero and we’d be talking about something else.
Every player at every level gets it wrong sometimes. (apart from missing a penalty of course.....) 😆

Yeah, he should have been on the post. Winds me up when players leave it
.... what ever happened to Gary Smart ? .... never scored for the U's, - just over 200 appearances in an OUFC shirt- ( if memory serves wasn't there a collective of Oxford fans who had a match by match sweepstake sort of thing that they all paid into with it paying out if Gary Smart scored?) , however, he always covered one of the posts defensively , and probably, counterbalancing him never scoring, he made a record amount of goal line clearances ?

Just to put all this in perspective back in January Peterborough lost to a very lowly Wimbledon and at were outside of the playoff places
I wonder if their forum demanded more from them as it wasn’t good enough with their top two budget?

Just to put all this in perspective back in January Peterborough lost to a very lowly Wimbledon and at were outside of the playoff places
I wonder if their forum demanded more from them as it wasn’t good enough with their top two budget?
No, they probably just shrugged and collectively said something like, "Not to worry, it was only X years ago that we were playing teams like Barnet and Torquay. Now look at us, locking horns with the likes of Rochdale and Accrington every week!"

Henry also tried to handball off the line when Wycombe scored their first in play off final.

I would imagine Robinson gave him a bollocking in privacy of dressing room. Poor mistake.
I vaguely remember a cold wet Tuesday night at Prenton park around 93/94 where Magilton (?) handled the ball on the line right in front of us. There may have been a penalty but pretty sure no cards. We lost all those away games anyway I think. It seems like it was more forgivable back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom