Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Browne and Murphy injury’s are bad, Jones doesn’t appear to be trusted to be to be able to play a whole game does that mean we have to go out and sign more wingers? That would be on top of the full backs, holding midfielder and another forward we need? It’s all turned to s**t really hasn’t it.
It's incredible, isn't it? The clear issue that needed addressing was the defence. Ok, we sold McNally, we couldn't force him to stay with the offer he had and that is "The Model" at work. But we're 5 games into the season now and it turns out we've taken in more money on selling McNally than we have on replacing him with Findlay, despite the obvious issue we have known about since failing to fix it in January. Meanwhile, we have spent good money this window on wingers, and on Saturday we'll need to play the 19 year old youth product (who has actually contributed the most) because we've got £20k a week sat in the treatment room.

It's an absolute shambles and Robinson has to carry the can for it. I just don't understand what happens in all the recruitment meetings. Does nobody EVER say "hey Karl, are you sure you don't want to sign a defender or two now?"

Not sure we have clever/cute ball playing players. If you look at McGuane he doesn’t actually play that many (if any) defence splitting passes, it’s mainly sideways.

I actually think we need both e.g. central defensive midfielder and a clever/cute ball player, but I also think we need a lot more e.g. pacy wingers, fullbacks, striker etc. Worrying!
I think the issue is that it’s not that McGuane can’t play a defence splitting pass it’s that there’s no one to play it to. The midfield don’t run through and Taylor is isolated.
Also there no 9 was peeling away from our CH’s and collecting the ball from midfielders, Tayls doesn’t seem to play that way now and the ball gets airborne again.

I think the issue is that it’s not that McGuane can’t play a defence splitting pass it’s that there’s no one to play it to. The midfield don’t run through and Taylor is isolated.
Also there no 9 was peeling away from our CH’s and collecting the ball from midfielders, Tayls doesn’t seem to play that way now and the ball gets airborne again.
Agreed. Think we need to start Joseph on Saturday (preferably in a 2, if not then in place of Taylor). He was making all sorts of good runs up front when he came on.

It's a Huge worry. Also an interesting interview yesterday from Barton at Rovers that Cam is on £6000 to £7000 and they were after Joseph but Swansea wanted £5500 a week and we blew Rovers out of the water. And yes you wouldn't want to play any of the bigger teams at the minute. Some shocking signing. Gutted for Marcus and now virtually the whole forward line injured. I don't think it's been a bad start it's been a catastrophic start.
Cam's on a lot more than that

It's incredible, isn't it? The clear issue that needed addressing was the defence. Ok, we sold McNally, we couldn't force him to stay with the offer he had and that is "The Model" at work. But we're 5 games into the season now and it turns out we've taken in more money on selling McNally than we have on replacing him with Findlay, despite the obvious issue we have known about since failing to fix it in January. Meanwhile, we have spent good money this window on wingers, and on Saturday we'll need to play the 19 year old youth product (who has actually contributed the most) because we've got £20k a week sat in the treatment room.

It's an absolute shambles and Robinson has to carry the can for it. I just don't understand what happens in all the recruitment meetings. Does nobody EVER say "hey Karl, are you sure you don't want to sign a defender or two now?"
This is what I always think. People here blame Robinson for injuries and puzzling transfer deals but I can't believe the other coaches and the medical people just sit silently and don't dare to object to anything. There haven't been any reports of fisticuffs with Mous or shouting matches with Amy Cranston.

Meeting Agenda:

1. We must all agree not to question the agenda
2. Which wingers shall we consider
3. Which players are currently available who at their best, at any time previously, have been better than league one standard.
4. What players can we afford because they carry significant risks and can be attained more cheaply, as no other club is prepared to take that risk?
5. Which players meet agenda points 2, 3 & 4
6. AOB - None see agenda item 1

Cam's on a lot more than that
Was going to say, from what I’ve heard it’s north of £10k that Cam is on. Which is fine, he’s our talisman, but Robinson has to get the players around him. He’s shown for about 3 seasons now he’s got no clue which positions we are weak in despite everyone telling him. Could of gone out and got Cadden in the summer with the money we are offering for players now and would be a massive improvement on seddon. Kesler Hayden, Fossey would improve the right side, that’s just two I can think of off the top of my head.

Meeting Agenda:

3. Which players are currently available who at their best, at any time previously, have been better than league one standard.
4. What players can we afford because they carry significant risks and can be attained more cheaply, as no other club is prepared to take that risk?
Missing the important one.

1. Who have New Era sent us the brochure on this week?

This is what I always think. People here blame Robinson for injuries and puzzling transfer deals but I can't believe the other coaches and the medical people just sit silently and don't dare to object to anything. There haven't been any reports of fisticuffs with Mous or shouting matches with Amy Cranston.

Mousinho is 'player coach' - why would he have any involvement in recruitment?

Amy Cranston is the physio! I can't quite believe that she is being brought into this in any way to deflect from KR's failings.

Not unrelated but nice little OUFC email tonight with a little preview from KR. He even addresses, to an extent, the injury situation and has now stepped back from confirming when Josh Murphy is back. ( Note West Oxon Yellow ;) ) It's like they are personally addressing the YF audience with these little soundbites :)

The concern for me with the drip drip feed of info from the club is that it is ever changing. First we heard was we knew about his hammy before he signed, then he aggravated it vs Cambridge, then we wouldn't risk him vs Swansea to enable him to be ready for Rovers. Then he could have trained last Friday if we wanted (see Oxford Mail quotes) and now............... we may appear to have gone from being able to train, to 2 weeks out, to not quite so committal.

I continue to hope be proved wrong, but I still reckons early november.

#Mushrooms

During his interview, he stepped further back from commenting on Murphy. This is the lad who he said and was quoted in the Mail as saying he could train last Friday and whom we sensibly rested vs Swans so he could be available vs Rovers.

Mousinho is 'player coach' - why would he have any involvement in recruitment?

Amy Cranston is the physio! I can't quite believe that she is being brought into this in any way to deflect from KR's failings.
Come on, these are just light-hearted examples. Other people work at the club, esp in a medical capacity, and I'm sure they are strong-minded individuals.

Out of you and your boss who has the final say? No point arguing when the man at the top is adamant. If the best defence of the mess Robinson has got us in this summer is to try and blame his subordinates (who he appointed) then that’s no defence.

Looked like he was injured to me and didn’t properly take part in the warm up or quick half time kick about. Guessing might have been on the bench to save KR even more questions and flak about crocks! If he was fit he’d have surely come on?

Assuming he wasn’t fit, then where was Smyth or anyone who could have been used for that matter?

We are in a real mess right now, like it or not and believe it or not, that’s fact!
Jones is fit
He went straight down the tunnel with Marcus Browne when he came off injured
Browne was distraught
I guess the management team asked him to support Browne as they've been friends since they were kids
Whether he'd have come on later is moot but he is ready to play albeit lacking match sharpness

Last edited:
Out of you and your boss who has the final say? No point arguing when the man at the top is adamant. If the best defence of the mess Robinson has got us in this summer is to try and blame his subordinates (who he appointed) then that’s no defence.
I'm not blaming his subordinates, but blaming Robinson alone for *everything* is a fantasy scenario. I just can't believe that no one ever speaks up if they do disagree with what's going on - and the back room team has been quite stable for a while.

Missing the important one.

1. Who have New Era sent us the brochure on this week?
Assume you mean New Era Global Sports.
According to their website they only represent Cam Bran & Josh Murphy out of the current squad.
I know KR had undisclosed share in an agency that represented Dele Alli whilst he was manager at MK.
I don't understand the connection between NEGS & our transfer policy, what am I missing ?

We could definitely do with more wingers (no I'm not KR).
Our current 2, in Browne and Wiildschut and then also Jones if he signs, all fit into the "good when fit but often not" category. If we have all injured at the same time which is not out of to the question, then it really restricts us, especially when chasing a game with subs and especially now we're allowed 5 subs.
When writing this I didn't expect it to come true just 1 month later🤦

Come on, these are just light-hearted examples. Other people work at the club, esp in a medical capacity, and I'm sure they are strong-minded individuals.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that more than one player has been red flagged by the medical department in the last 2/3 seasons and we’ve still signed them anyway. He has failed to listen to medical advice more than once. It’s his decision - nobody can overrule him and players can’t ‘fail’ a medical.

It annoys me when I hear Robinson saying injuries are just bad luck in his post-match. “Oooh, Yanic fell over the wrong way, Marcus got kicked, you can’t compensate for that.” No, Karl, that is merely how being injury prone or not fit works. Your body is less capable of taking knocks and falls because it is more fragile than most or because it’s being built up from a substandard level, and therefore you are more likely to get injured. It isn’t bad luck, the odds are against you from the off because players are not fully fit or because their bodies have been weakened from severe injuries or wear and tear. That’s how it works, Karl.

It’s up there with the comments of “we think we can get 60 minutes out of him” that pop up every season at some point. If a player can only play 60 minutes then they aren’t 100% fit, so not only are you not even getting 60 minutes of that player at full throttle as is the implication, it’s an admission of risk because their body isn’t properly conditioned. Hence why Murphy plays less than 90 minutes of football after not having a proper pre-season and does his hammy, which we apparently knew wasn’t right when we signed him and yet he’s starting games on the back of a fortnight of light training. Between fees and wages over two years Murphy is costing nearly a million pounds. And not only is he apparently injured when he shows up, he’s then chucked in pretty much cold and ends up on the treatment table after less than 90 minutes of football.

Sorry, I’m not trying to have a rant, but I’m getting really fed up with hearing Robinson bemoan bad luck like some sort of addict sweating over a roulette wheel.

Meeting Agenda:

At this point I suspect recruitment meetings are more akin to getting a toddler to eat their dinner.

Staff: Come on Karl, have some defenders, they'll be good for you.
KR: No! I don't like defenders!
S: Sometimes you need to have things you don't like, can you just try one?
KR: Nooooo! I want some wingers!
S: I'll make you a deal, if you get just two defenders, not all three, then you can have a winger after.
KR: I want wingers now!
S: We got you some wingers but you keep breaking them don't you? We told you not to play with Josh and Marcus so much because they were fragile and now you can't play with them any more can you?
KR leaves the room in a huff to watch Bluey in his office.

I'm not blaming his subordinates, but blaming Robinson alone for *everything* is a fantasy scenario. I just can't believe that no one ever speaks up if they do disagree with what's going on - and the back room team has been quite stable for a while.

He picked his back room team, he has the final say, you can’t know what is said behind the scenes? You are trying to divert blame from the person who will have to carry the can, the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom