Away Match Day Thread 21/8/21 L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had some time to digest the game now. I’ve been having disc problems with my back all year - and my back REALLY wasn’t happy with me after 9 hours in the car yesterday. The M6 really is torturous isn’t it!

I thought 1-1 was fair at half time and it was a cracking game. We opened them up for fun on the counter - but we looked so vulnerable ourselves with seemingly no defensive options available to try to stop it. Then the first 20-ish minutes of the second half we were superb. I’ve read lots about on the Bolton side about how the stadium was ‘electric’ yesterday. It may have been for the last 15 minutes or so - but we were SO good in that first 20 minutes that we utterly silenced their crowd. But our decision making in and around the penalty area is dreadful. There is a footballer in Mark Sykes. He’s energetic, makes great runs and has good feet. However his composure and decision making in key areas is awful - and doesn’t seem to get better. The sight of him charging towards the six yard box, then falling over his own feet as he tried to make a decision about what to do next haunts me.

And of course we were then punished by switching off for the corner. It happens. Had Whyte found some composure at the end we’d have still left with a deserved point. (Incidentally - between the shanked pass/cross when through on goal at Cambridge and that awful miss yesterday - I’m starting to see why Gavin is back with us. Lovely player to watch and I’m thrilled we have him, but those errors are contributing to vital points dropped).

If Uncle Erick is telling KR to sign some players - can we please go and sign another full back. Like ASAP? If Long is going to be another few weeks I’d be tempted to get a proper RB in - to compete with Long when fit, and use Sam as LB cover. Forde has a lot of qualities and again he didn’t have a ‘bad’ game necessarily - but I’m already bored of having our right full back position look vulnerable and be exploited game after game (as it has in every game since Sam went off against Burton at the end of last season).

Ending on a positive - I thought Winnall was super yesterday. His best game in an Oxford shirt IMO. Having both Taylor and Whyte around him to do his running meant he could concentrate on battling defenders (he won a few more headers too) and he had the freedom to drop back or drift wide to pick up the ball (which he also used with really intelligence). It was enough to convince me I’m happy with the forwards we have until January and would rather we spend any funds we might have in our pursuit of someone like Harrison (groan, or Grigg 🤣) and spend them on a proper midfield enforcer to compete with Gorrin (and the aforementioned additional full back)
Thanks, interesting stuff. I like the point about how signing a right back would then let Sam fill in on the left if needed. I agree about competition for Gorrin- ideally an experienced guy who will do a lot of shouting and pointing!

Send him back to Cardiff. Get a good solid lad in to replace him.
Or you could have just said, it was a sitter and he should have scored! Gav is going to be a good player for us this season, but that doesn’t mean people can’t talk about him making mistakes. If Dan or winnall had already fluffed two great opportunities for extra points, both sides of this forum would be calling for them to be gone!

I didn’t see yesterday’s game but reading through this thread 1 thing a few posters have said is that Jack is not at the level he was last season. I wondering if his mind is elsewhere. Has the rumoured interest from Villa got to him?

Jack Stevens - We went 4 games and 44 minutes without an opposition player beating Jack from outfield play (At Burton Mous miskicked into own net)
Not sure what more you expect from a goalie!

Bolton's first goal yesterday - I was in line with that shot and initially appeared to be going wide then looking at it on TV it appears to just be dipping as it went past Stevens. Also not sure if defenders were blocking his view. So a swerving and dipping shot, through the defenders we will give credit to the striker.

Stevens handling at corners is excellent, sometimes he makes it look too easy.

Or you could have just said, it was a sitter and he should have scored! Gav is going to be a good player for us this season, but that doesn’t mean people can’t talk about him making mistakes. If Dan or winnall had already fluffed two great opportunities for extra points, both sides of this forum would be calling for them to be gone!
Yes I was being ironic. Gav is ridiculously good for this level, he just seems a bit out of practice after his disappointing time last year, but he’ll come good .

Jack Stevens - We went 4 games and 44 minutes without an opposition player beating Jack from outfield play (At Burton Mous miskicked into own net)

Bolton's first goal yesterday - I was in line with that shot and initially appeared to be going wide then looking at it on TV it appears to just be dipping as it went past Stevens. Also not sure if defenders were blocking his view. So a swerving and dipping shot, through the defenders we will give credit to the striker.

Looking at the replay, he did look annoyed with himself for not saving it but perhaps that’s due to the high standards he sets himself.

What’s your view about the shot he palmed straight at Thorniley which was very nearly (and only through luck not) an own goal??

It’s a compliment to Stevens’ previously ridiculously high standards to say that, this season so far, he’s slightly dipped under them.

I rarely if ever watch the 'highlights' on Quest.....happened to catch them on this mornings rerun .....bit mininimal, just the 3 goals & the scummers miss? And that was it. ... rather underwhelming

I think if we played Bolton 10 times, it would be 2 wins apiece and 6 draws, and no 0-0 draws. It could have gone either way yesterday. It's one of them. Let's dust ourselves down and fokus on the next game. Back stronger!

I rarely if ever watch the 'highlights' on Quest.....happened to catch them on this mornings rerun .....bit minimal, just the 3 goals & the scummers miss? And that was it. ... rather underwhelming
Pretty much standard for all L1/2 matches unless it's a featured match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom