Away Match Day Thread 23/10/2021 L1: Burton Albion v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
There would be a own goal a game if that can be classed as Bostwicks goal
Never understood why not really.

If a player shoots on target and it hits a team mate on it's way to the net, it's classed as the team mate's goal, but if it comes off a defender, the striker gets the credit.

Never understood why not really.

If a player shoots on target and it hits a team mate on it's way to the net, it's classed as the team mate's goal, but if it comes off a defender, the striker gets the credit.
I've also read that if the original shot was goalbound and strikes a defender, it still counts as a goal for the striker. Count one for N Holland.

Even though I hate the premiershit if you have a look at Smith Rowe goal for Arsenal on Friday he shoots at goal hits Tyrone Mings deflects past the keeper and they give it to Smith Rowe . Funny how they determine what is and what isn’t an own goal .

Even though I hate the premiershit if you have a look at Smith Rowe goal for Arsenal on Friday he shoots at goal hits Tyrone Mings deflects past the keeper and they give it to Smith Rowe . Funny how they determine what is and what isn’t an own goal .
The EPL are a law unto themselves

A few thoughts on yesterdays game.

Lots of positives to take from that, looks like JFH out thunk himself yesterday by starting with 7 defenders,
i guess he thought he could stiffle our play but his lot basically got blown apart, +1 to KR for getting him
to react to us.

I don`t think Burton will line up like that again, not at home certainly, so having already beaten Ipswich,
Sunderland and Portsmouth at home we can hope they can keep picking up points against some of the
better teams in this league which makes it a big 3 points that are really good to have in the bank.

I thought some of our play was outstanding, that the midfield 3 of Brannagan, Henry and Kane can gel like
that is really good news for the rest of the season.

Like some others on here i watched the 2nd half and the replay with the Burton commentary on, very decent
and the comment on 60m " Oxford`s awareness is magnificent " was really pleasing to hear.

Got to say we still look a bit dodge at the back and against better teams we might end up with a bloody nose
from time to time but trading defensive solidity for attacking threat is something i can live with even if it means
i can give up hope of ever seeing my fingernails grow back, having said that, i thought that us keeping on the
front foot after taking the lead works better for us than sitting back.

Not going to single out anyone in particular, i thought there were many really good performances, it was
especially pleasing to see them really wanting it. No complaints about the desire.

So, in conclusion, a cracking 3 points on the road against a side that are usually no mugs, some of our play
was high quality, no injuries and confidence will be on the up after a performance like that. Still think there
is more to come from this team and one of the best bits about it is that its games like this that keeps the
few that clearly dislike KR and are eager to trade him for a punt while we are on an upward curve, quiet,
at least for a little while.

Only based on highlights but Nathan Holland appears to be looking like the player that had West Ham excited about him a few years ago. I like that he is getting into the middle and looking to attack the ball for crosses, whilst running at the opposition at speed. I hope we have an option on him.

Collapsed at half time, high blood pressure. Came back into the stand just in time to see them score! On the mend!
It was at the time quite emotional to see an elderly man who follows his football team and as actually as far from a plastic supporter as humanely possible laying pretty motionless a few paces away from our group.

With space given to the stricken supporter and help from the various medical support in attendance the gentleman was sorted out and taken away to be checked only for the elderly gent to return back to his own terrace space around 20 minutes later to a generous round of applause. This is what following this club is all about. The elderly geezer was back for the final whistle! After the whistle was blown I spoke to him and gave him a gentle man arm around his back and said it was great to see him back on the terrace and that he was ok. He said it was a blood pressure issue. I said to him to not make a habit of it...he laughed and said he wouldn't but at least we won.

To see him back made the day even better.

COYY'S- get in the championship for this elderly supporter!

Only based on highlights but Nathan Holland appears to be looking like the player that had West Ham excited about him a few years ago. I like that he is getting into the middle and looking to attack the ball for crosses, whilst running at the opposition at speed. I hope we have an option on him.
We do apparently

A really important win.

Although we are now up to sixth, the teams above us are 3 or more points ahead.

If we had only drawn, we (and every team below us) would be 5 points or more back and at risk of being cut adrift.

A really important win.

If we had only drawn, we (and every team below us) would be 5 points or more back and at risk of being cut adrift.
I’ve always said if we are just outside the playoffs by xmas but only by 3 points or less then I feel we are in the best place to make an assault on the playoffs even the autos.

A really important win.

A hell of a long way to go before anyone worries about getting cut adrift.

It was at the time quite emotional to see an elderly man who follows his football team and as actually as far from a plastic supporter as humanely possible laying pretty motionless a few paces away from our group.

With space given to the stricken supporter and help from the various medical support in attendance the gentleman was sorted out and taken away to be checked only for the elderly gent to return back to his own terrace space around 20 minutes later to a generous round of applause. This is what following this club is all about. The elderly geezer was back for the final whistle! After the whistle was blown I spoke to him and gave him a gentle man arm around his back and said it was great to see him back on the terrace and that he was ok. He said it was a blood pressure issue. I said to him to not make a habit of it...he laughed and said he wouldn't but at least we won.

To see him back made the day even better.

COYY'S- get in the championship for this elderly supporter!
When the minutes are ticking down I imagine raised blood pressure affects us all. Better not to know, I suppose. Cracking post by the way.

When the minutes are ticking down I imagine raised blood pressure affects us all. Better not to know, I suppose. Cracking post by the way.
Indeed! Once you are on tablets to control it that's it[emoji849]

Having watched the game back, the first 30 minutes were fairly even other than the goal. For the last 15 minutes of the first half, we turned the screw and deservedly scored our second, although we should really have scored before then. In the second half we were mostly in control, with Burton occasionally causing us problems. Both sides were guilty of wasting good positions. Their goal was a poor mistake by Thorniley, our third was a poor mistake by defenders and the keeper.

The one thing I'd like to see us have is more composure when we get near the area and particularly to the byline. So many times we got there and either tried to flash it across the goal or shot from a tight angle. I think we need to cut some of those back towards the penalty spot.

I’ve always said if we are just outside the playoffs by xmas but only by 3 points or less then I feel we are in the best place to make an assault on the playoffs even the autos.
I don’t think we’ve got a chance of the autos but if we can lurk around between 6th and 8th till March we can mount a late run into the playoffs. And then ...

A hell of a long way to go before anyone worries about getting cut adrift.

It's also quite early in the season for so many clubs to be divided by that many points. The fact we're in amongst it, is a good sign.

I suspect this season will have bigger points differences between those in the promotion race, the middle of the league and the relegation battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom