Home Match Day Thread +++ 23/12/2017 OUFC v Wigan Athletic match day thread +++

Having thought about what I saw, Pep has to go. I was at Port Vale which was bad enough. But this was another level. Wigan were outstanding, which makes Pep's 'tactics' even more baffling. A Wimbledon mate texted me last week (they lost 4-0 to Wigan at home). He said the only way to play them was deny them space, especially in midfield. And if he saw that, why didn't Pep? Given the ability at the club that has to be the worst performance I have seen in over 40 years of watching Utd. The Pep experiment has failed. Time to go.

The sad thing is, I don't think Wigan are the best team I've seen this season. We made them look good by showing no passion, poor passing and no pace.

This performance showed us truly how poor we've become which many of us have believed for a while.

Frightening times ahead if we do not strengthen in January.

Utterly embarrassing yesterday can’t remember the last time I witnessed a (non) performance like that for a long time.
I think the thing that annoyed me the most was listening to the interviews on the radio on the way home first pep and then John mousinho had plenty of opportunities to apologise to the fans but couldn’t seem to manage it.
Very poor on and off the field I’m not sure where we go from here.
COYY

I’ve been supporting them since the mid-sixties too. Have never, ever, before now left with twenty minutes to go. Speechless.

Same here supporting for 55years now walked out twice in 55 years, both this season Blackburn and Yesterday I have a season ticket but won’t be going again this season.
We will be in a relagation battle without a doubt, in the last 2 seasons I have witnessed some of the best football I have seen from an Oxford team to the bloody shambles of this season

Why is it that a lot of fans just feel disinterested this season. The mood is very odd with fans just not interested.

I say get the Ultras or singing fans back behind the goal and let's get the atmosphere band belief back again

We need another 'I BELIEVE' campaign or maybe that is the problem, the fans knowingly know they don't believe.

ps who was going to go to Gillingham, but isn't now?

Reflecting back on yesterday. They had eight on target and we had none. Seven of their efforts went in. They are a goal machine. We had an off day that is sure. Not prepared at all.
Not replacing key players lost and nor strengthening in the right areas is now costing us.
The takeover lurking in the background is causing uncertainty and I get the feeling that it is not going to happen and Eales will just wait until it does. While that happens this club is dropping down the table.
Promotion looks very unlikely now. Wigan to their credit look way too good for this league and have a very good manager.
Blackburn and Shrewsbury look promising as do Charlton. Away trip at Bradford coming up...I wonder why I'm not optimistic on that either.
Anyone else not expecting miracles and useful signings in January?
A season if optimism is fast imploding

Reflecting back on yesterday. They had eight on target and we had none. Seven of their efforts went in. They are a goal machine. We had an off day that is sure. Not prepared at all.
Not replacing key players lost and nor strengthening in the right areas is now costing us.
The takeover lurking in the background is causing uncertainty and I get the feeling that it is not going to happen and Eales will just wait until it does. While that happens this club is dropping down the table.
Promotion looks very unlikely now. Wigan to their credit look way too good for this league and have a very good manager.
Blackburn and Shrewsbury look promising as do Charlton. Away trip at Bradford coming up...I wonder why I'm not optimistic on that either.
Anyone else not expecting miracles and useful signings in January?
A season if optimism is fast imploding
We actually had one on target? Not sure who’s stats your looking at? Probably the BBC, not that it makes it any better

Henry? Mowatt?
Henry actually tried to get forward and get crosses in yesterday, trouble is he has no pace to do so and the defender always catches him. I want a winger that gets the ball and runs, or it’s played over the top into space and he’s off after it like a grey hound. When was the last time we did that regularly, that buzz that the crowd are excited and seat are banging as people expectantly stand. Johno did at times, baldock and graham ??. Their 11 caused us trouble every time, he chased back , he ran into space, he walked around our defenders, running into the box or crossing behind them. Basically I’d take just about anyone who can beat peps nan in a sprint atm

Why is it that a lot of fans just feel disinterested this season. The mood is very odd with fans just not interested.

I say get the Ultras or singing fans back behind the goal and let's get the atmosphere band belief back again

We need another 'I BELIEVE' campaign or maybe that is the problem, the fans knowingly know they don't believe.

I was speaking with some mates about this and it does feel there is a disinterest with the club at present from fans. I think any season where you fully expect to be camped in mid-table (hopefully!) generally leads to a malaise. From the moment the season kicked off, I didn’t really expect us to go up nor go down. I was hoping for a cup run but two early exits to lower division opposition have ended that.

I seem to be saying it in every thread but I miss MApp and his approach. His hawkish scouting for young players released from PL sides, his spending on talent that can be resold for more than its worth and his easy-on-the-eye football. PC’s football is senseless and his recruitment policy is a novelty that is fun for 5 minutes and then the reality hits you - the old timers from the Azerbaijani and Swedish lower leagues don’t cut it here. The only saleable assets we have now are the ones MApp has signed or developed. No one will be bidding £££ for Mehmeti, Xemi or a 32 year old, injury-prone Tiandalli.

DE seemed a lot more prevalent too however even he has disappeared into the shadows with takeover talk rife. It’s not feeling like a very positive season now.

it was bad enough implying that the f,a, cup and much needed revenue were not important, to then jet off for a holiday when a kick up the ass for all concerned and have them in for extra training was needed is bad enough.
To seemingly target that joke trophy and give the 20.000 another day out, something that some here bought into whilst the gap for promotion places gets bigger and still some believed the play offs were possible.
At a time when

I’ve thought of a silver lining from this debacle - Jack Payne is less likely to be recalled or sold! He was worse than useless and that shows Championship clubs how easy he can get knocked off the ball at that level. We all know he’s a great League one player though and we need to keep guy.

Unless of course Hudd think it's going to damage him longer-term to play in a pathetic side managed by a clueless muppet. In which case he's being recalled before New Year.

i said after vale that in terms of attracting new fans the season was over and nothing for regulars to look forward too, now at a time when a few newbies turn up they have been put off for a very long time if not forever.

Er, well we’re going to Wigan away with a weekend in Manchester already booked. Scary thought....

Wigan were superb. Their third goal was tremendous. As was their seventh. I have not seen a more powerful coherent opposition display in years .

But this was compounded by at least four jaw dropping cock ups.

The first goal resulted from an error by the cataclysmic Catalonian, the second goal resulted from us deciding to play musical statues when defending corners, the fourth goal was a complete disaster for Ruffels while I have no idea what Mouisnho was up to for the fifth.

Our dire mistakes plus their top quality performance led to the thrashing.

I don’t blame the back 4 overmuch. We were destroyed in midfield.
Thank God we don’t have to play Wigan every week. They are mustard.

I don’t believe in the instant tin tack culture, Clotet doesn’t deserve the bullet based on our season to date and the injury list has been horrendous.

One game like this could so. easily lead to the slippery slope though. Clotet must earn his money with instant effect. Ledson, Rothwell and Carroll must all start on Boxing
Day.

It sticks in the craw to say this after our record home defeat EVER - but me must try and remain supportive. You can’t hound out the manager based on one game horror show against the runaway league leaders .

5 jaw dropping cock ups as for the 3rd goal, we won the ball back after the fast, incisive attack. But Ricardinho panicked giving it to their player who then passed the ball to the goalscorer, who finished with aplomb.

Last edited:
Having slept on it, it’s just the same old.

Set up the same team, to play the same way. Ignored the opposition, arrogant to think we will force our style in to Wigan. At some point, you have to adapt your game to counteract who you are playing. Cook said we set up exactly how they like to play against!

In the first half I was desperate to see an oxford player just put in a tackle, want to win the ball. Instead, Mousinho aside, every player tried to remain anonymous. Look at the non verbals after the first goal...that was the body language of a team that hasn’t got the fight.

It’s so predictable how to beat us. Run at the RB/LB they fall over, cross ball for a tap in. Rinse and repeat. Can’t even begin on set pieces.

I normally fall on the positive side, however Pep’s comments left me bewildered. I could be on that pitch and run for 90mins. Doesn’t mean I would be any good.

There’s a horrible drifting feeling around the club. Starts from the top and filters down. DE has gone in to hiding, despite all our ‘experience’ we don’t appear to have a leader on the pitch. The fans feel indifferent as we all know our performances don’t warrant our league position.

January will be a turning point, more of the same and we write the season off.

When was the last decent performance under Pep? We started the season high tempo, pressing, what looked to be a clear plan as to how we play. What is our style now? Route 1? Set pieces? Using wingers? I don’t have a clue! It’s a team of average. No one can do anything exceptional.

This all looks a bit silly now: http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/o...ill_be_acid_test_for_toughened_Oxford_United/

“I would like to have a game where there are no big mistakes on our side and go from there.

“If Wigan are much better than Oxford then they will have to prove it on the pitch and beat us, but not because we’ve given them something.”

We caved in after 20mins just like Blackburn. Lessons learnt ?

Rod Liddle in The Sunday Times today, on the subject of Norwich: “It is a hard and nasty league and to get out of it the right way you need a tough, resolute defence and a centre forward who will get you twenty goals a season.... Norwich are lightweight, engagingly neat in the middle of the park, but dilatory at both ends. That truly is a recipe for relegation.” Sounds a little familiar....

Actually I thought Wigan were a class act all afternoon.

A very good team (who not only played decent football, but didn't dive and roll about), supporters who were generous with their applause for Cyril Beavon pre-match and didn't crow to much at our expense afterwards, a manager who took it upon himself to correct a ref's mistake and was at least sympathetic to us in his post match comments. Of course, it's easy to be generous when you've spent an afternoon shooting fish in a barrel - but nevertheless, classy.

Lack of fight on the field and a sense of apathy in the stands. It all emanates from an apparent lack of interest and leadership from the top. The hierarchy are relying on the anger to dissipate rapidly and things can then bumble on as they are.

Still bloody p*ssed off...

Back
Top Bottom