Away Match Day Thread 24/8/21 Carabao Cup: QPR v OUFC

Overall we played some good football for periods. Hope Mcguane is not injured again. The view of the far end from the lower tier was absolutely shocking due mainly to the advertising display.Im surprised it doesnt affect the players.

Player ratings.

Eastwood 6
LCP 4
Moore 6
McNally 6
Seddon 6
Gorrin 6
Sykes 7
McGuane 7
Agyei 2
Winnall 7
Holland 3

Brannagan 8
Whyte 7

There is a big
gap between the Championship and League 1. Lads competed manfully - including Agyei, ( exactly why is he getting beef?)

QPR look good under Warbuton; a number of preening bellends amongs their supporters though.

No criticism from me of that performance apart from if you are going to put a 16 year old on with 20 minutes to go it’s hardly a statement of positive intent. Chuck Taylor on and have a go.

Both youngsters show promise though.

Absolutely delightful to watch a game in the heart of a community ; cracking atmosphere and funny chants.

Absolutely terrible for one of our party - and several others in lower tier - to be initially refused entry to ground for a prepaid ticket on basis ticket had been ‘recalled by QPR’. What on earth was that B*****s all about? Ticket office staff v apologetic. We missed first few minutes as a result .

Great Victorian explorer look FMO…

But I thought the great Dan Agyei was the undervalued player whose blistering pace, unwavering commitment and terrific skills with a ball at his feet could save the world, if only he was played?
I would honestly love agyei to start scoring but I don’t think he has the confidence anymore it might be a case of new surroundings brings a new hope for agyei but I don’t think he’s going to find that here unfortunately so if we’ve got funds we need a new striker

Can i just say that if we revert to that diamond that we used at Bolton can we at least try Taylor and Agyei together, i've said it many times for 2 seasons they showed in brief minutes that they were almost telepathic each knew what the other was going to do. it's always struck me that that could be a lethal partnership, it's staring us in the face and cries of bung him out on loan or bin him altogether could be a big mistake.

The defenders had to split themselves between 3 of their players e.g. 3 against 2, so if they had committed then Dickie would have just needed to pass to the free player, so I actually felt the defenders made the right choice which was to allow Dickie a free hit from 20+ yards as it would have to be something special to score from that distance plus beat the keeper and unfortunately for us it was special.

Forget the defenders, where was the entire midfield ? Dickie collected the ball on the halfway line. Fair enough if it was the last 10 minutes and we were as open as an ocean but this was 20 minutes in !

That’s now 76 appearances for Agyei now and quite frankly I would expect a 24 year old to be showing some improvement by now.

I would be interested to see what that equated to in minutes played?

I am sure there is some stat out there somewhere.

Ground nice and easy to get to, home fans were terrible quiet as anything in there.
Oxford fans were singing all game fair play, first 20 mins we could have been 2 up they didn't look great at all. As soon as the messiah picked that straight out the top drawer we fell apart Mcguane rubbish in possession kept misplacing passes agjei looked well off the pace for whatever reason. Agjei seemed stuck in two minds half the time whether to shoot, pass or cross and didn't produce f all. Plus points for me mcnally looks decent, brannagan different gravy again hope he stays and whyte caused problems and looked lively oh and dickie will go for a pretty penny solid as a rock as he was for us.

Forget the defenders, where was the entire midfield ? Dickie collected the ball on the halfway line. Fair enough if it was the last 10 minutes and we were as open as an ocean but this was 20 minutes in !
Not to bash to much but Winnell hardly challenges then just watches Dickie run past him . It was his man and bit of effort chasing back from him would have helped . Surely he knew to go with Dickie ?

Not to bash to much but Winnell hardly challenges then just watches Dickie run past him . It was his man and bit of effort chasing back from him would have helped . Surely he knew to go with Dickie ?
I may be being harsh but I'm seriously beginning to lose any faith in Winnall. He rarely wins headers or flick ons, he can't really run in behind, ok yes he made the keeper work once last night and also had that flick on to the bar but I don't think he's what we need. We need a target man in the squad.

But how can them make a challenge if they’re not there? And I was responding to comment about closing Dickie down to not allow him a shot, but agree it opened up like the Red Sea!

What about today then?
Plenty of opportunity, in some people on here preferred position ( and also his preferred position on the right)
Plenty of the ball and opportunity to run at people.
a run of three or four opportunities like that and he'd start to provide a return. He's never had a chance to build up some form.

Thought we gave a good account of ourselves, QPR showed the quality that’s required if/when we move up a division and the style of play suite us ,an enjoyable game to watch for a neutral. The ground was a bit of a throwback and all the better for it QPR fans very quiet but not a big game for them ,one final note the toilets is it too much to ask for that type of standard for the wind tunnel 😳

Really fun night. Shame about the result but it was a cracking game, and the stadium is a beaut.

Brannagan unreal. Whyte and Holland I thought showed some good touches. I also think Sykes is really coming along, he seems that bit more robust than he did a year or two ago. Defence was all at sea but that's more or less to be expected, LCP looked good on the ball. He and Johnson shouldn't be judged on the likes of last night.

Agyei when moved up top I thought actually did alright. Showed that bit of aggression that he otherwise conspicuously lacks (although you would have to question why he can't show that same level of aggression when played on the wing). You do have to wonder though whether we would have got something out of that with a slightly more mobile, athletic CF than Winnall. I get that strikers come in all shapes and sizes, and the likes of Miroslav Klose are hardly the types of player to worry opposition defences with their physicality, but if you're going to be that clinical penalty box player, you need to be clinical - like Matty Taylor is at his best. The misses v Charlton and the missed touch first half yesterday, off the top of my head, simply have to go in, or you have to question what it is he really offers the side. He had some nice lay-offs and touches in build up yesterday, but for me that's not enough.

Back
Top Bottom