Away Match Day Thread 24/8/21 Carabao Cup: QPR v OUFC

Great to back, stewards were most jobsworth come across, why were they so adamant on people being in correct seats when its randomly selected when ordering. Gorrin still looks like a weak link, much prefer brannagan deep and 2 offensive players infront.

Really fun night. Shame about the result but it was a cracking game, and the stadium is a beaut.

Brannagan unreal. Whyte and Holland I thought showed some good touches. I also think Sykes is really coming along, he seems that bit more robust than he did a year or two ago. Defence was all at sea but that's more or less to be expected, LCP looked good on the ball. He and Johnson shouldn't be judged on the likes of last night.

Agyei when moved up top I thought actually did alright. Showed that bit of aggression that he otherwise conspicuously lacks (although you would have to question why he can't show that same level of aggression when played on the wing). You do have to wonder though whether we would have got something out of that with a slightly more mobile, athletic CF than Winnall. I get that strikers come in all shapes and sizes, and the likes of Miroslav Klose are hardly the types of player to worry opposition defences with their physicality, but if you're going to be that clinical penalty box player, you need to be clinical - like Matty Taylor is at his best. The misses v Charlton and the missed touch first half yesterday, off the top of my head, simply have to go in, or you have to question what it is he really offers the side. He had some nice lay-offs and touches in build up yesterday, but for me that's not enough.
Klose was 6'1" though and a threat in the air . If playing as a centre back I don't think too many would worry about facing Winnall tbh

Great to back, stewards were most jobsworth come across, why were they so adamant on people being in correct seats when its randomly selected when ordering. Gorrin still looks like a weak link, much prefer brannagan deep and 2 offensive players infront.
probably because not doing so then causes grief for others sitting in other peoples allocated seats parents with children don't need it! its not hard to sit in a allocated seat.

Re Winnall. I can't help thinking that (for all of the 'his best game so far for us tonight' posts) he is exactly what we feared he might be when he came: a once excellent striker now going slowly downhill. He has little pace, is too similar to (the much better) Taylor* and simply doesn't score enough goals to make up for his other deficiencies.

*Taylor has scored 32 goals in 76 games for us, Winnall has scored 4 in 27 for us, 15 in his last 80 games (as a more direct comparison)

Re Winnall. I can't help thinking that (for all of the 'his best game so far for us tonight' posts) he is exactly what we feared he might be when he came: a once excellent striker now going slowly downhill. He has little pace, is too similar to (the much better) Taylor* and simply doesn't score enough goals to make up for his other deficiencies.

*Taylor has scored 32 goals in 76 games for us, Winnall has scored 4 in 27 for us, 15 in his last 80 games (as a more direct comparison)
I was in the upper tier last night, so had a very good view of his movement. He can barely run, and definitely can not sprint. His legs have gone.

That's a very low bar if some feel that was his best game.

He’s 16, give him three years or so.
Can’t be too hard on Johnson or LCP after last night; Johnson came on at 2-0 down against a Championship team, it’s easy to forget he’s only 16, he looks a prospect though, comfortable on the ball and showed some good touches.
As for LCP, he did his best and considering he was played out of position, showed confidence and skill going forward at times. He won’t be the last full back that gets a torrid time from Ilias Chair this season.
Good experience for both of them.

Can’t be too hard on Johnson or LCP after last night; Johnson came on at 2-0 down against a Championship team, it’s easy to forget he’s only 16, he looks a prospect though, comfortable on the ball and showed some good touches.
As for LCP, he did his best and considering he was played out of position, showed confidence and skill going forward at times. He won’t be the last full back that gets a torrid time from Ilias Chair this season.

Absofuckinglutely!

If we get to the Champ half of our XI will need replacing, let's not kid ourselves about that.

To write off teenagers who haven't had 10 first team games between them - when they've just played against Championship opposition- is utter insanity.

probably because not doing so then causes grief for others sitting in other peoples allocated seats parents with children don't need it! its not hard to sit in a allocated seat.
Really? Then you should be able to select seats online or this will always happen.

Kind of showed that for 20 minutes our "60% Team" could match a Championship "70% Team".
A couple of chances go in it could have been different, but they still had another gear and we didn`t.
Great experience for the young lads, sadly left overexposed by more senior pro`s but there we are.

On the positive bus we have a fair bit of squad strength for League 1.

Ground nice and easy to get to, home fans were terrible quiet as anything in there.
Oxford fans were singing all game fair play, first 20 mins we could have been 2 up they didn't look great at all. As soon as the messiah picked that straight out the top drawer we fell apart Mcguane rubbish in possession kept misplacing passes agjei looked well off the pace for whatever reason. Agjei seemed stuck in two minds half the time whether to shoot, pass or cross and didn't produce f all. Plus points for me mcnally looks decent, brannagan different gravy again hope he stays and whyte caused problems and looked lively oh and dickie will go for a pretty penny solid as a rock as he was for us.

Don't know what you were watching but McGuane looked the one player near their level. He will be a massive player for us once he settles into the starting line up again.

Don't know what you were watching but McGuane looked the one player near their level. He will be a massive player for us once he settles into the starting line up again.
really that will explain his rating of 5.5 in the mail? his ball retention and giving away possession last night was terrible.

Frankly, I don't think McGuane looked anywhere near their level, whilst Brannagan certainly did.

Btw, I thought Eastwood played very well.
mcnally looks like he is going to be a good player last 3 times ive seen him play hes done well

really that will explain his rating of 5.5 in the mail? his ball retention and giving away possession last night was terrible.
I thought McGuane looked decent, mostly.
Sykes again did very little of note.

I thought McGuane looked decent, mostly.
Sykes again did very little of note.
I thought that McGuane looked good in possession of the ball ( you could tell that he has played at a decent level), but poor out of possession (and he looked knackered at half time).
Sykes didn't stop running and in the second half when we started pressing high (causing them to make a few mistakes) he was very good. As usual his final ball can be poor at times.

I thought that McGuane looked good in possession of the ball ( you could tell that he has played at a decent level), but poor out of possession (and he looked knackered at half time).
Sykes didn't stop running and in the second half when we started pressing high (causing them to make a few mistakes) he was very good. As usual his final ball can be poor at times.
I'm not Sykes' biggest fan but he was one of our better players last night, never stopped working or trying his best to make things happen. He's had a lot, lot worse games than last night.

We need someone who can convert these chances, second game running lots are going begging.
With lcp it was also the basics that he was getting wrong, being out of position. There were instances where he was caught in a midfield position, when he was meant to be defending.

Back
Top Bottom