Home Match Day Thread 25/9/2021 L1: OUFC v Gillingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry needed to be where Kane was and Kane needed to be where Gorrin was and Sykes could be in instead of Gorrin. Yes we are creating chances but we’re not taking them and we haven’t for the last 4 games or so, so that needs to be addressed.
Kane said his preferred position is higher up the pitch. We’d miss Gorrin if he wasn’t there.

Gillingham came to defend en masse and hit us on the break, they often had 10 behind the ball and worked bloody hard to stop us playing through them. We always find it difficult against teams that play this way but we created enough to win the game. Quality in the final third is what cost us yesterday.
That also appears to be happening with other teams we are playing against, so it’s something we have to look at ways of trying to combat.

• React
Reactions: QR
I had a lifetime of working with performance stats so know how they can and can’t be used but you just can’t ignore them.
Yesterday, 25 shots, 7 on target. Through a combination of luck, resolute defending and poor decision making we didn’t score more. We also had 12 corners, sure we should be doing better with them but we are creating opportunities to score.
If you don’t create the opportunities, you don’t score. If we weren’t creating opportunities, I’d be worried.
I’m confident. You’re not. Let’s hope for a goalfest on Tuesday. 😉
That’s all very well saying that but we’re not scoring that has to be addressed

Kane said his preferred position is higher up the pitch. We’d miss Gorrin if he wasn’t there.
They were to similar yesterday and Gorrin wasn’t having the best of games way ward passes and such, I’m sure I read somewhere that Kane would act as cover for Gorrin. Yes I did here Kane saying he preferred to play further forward and get in amongst the goals.

Really disappointing I thought. We are toothless up front.
we would be right in the s**t if Taylor were ever to get injured.

I loved that KRs first comment for his interview was how amazing us fans were today and how intelligent we were for seeing that they’re trying… he couldn’t get his tongue far enough up our arses if he tried

Unfortunately, some of our fans buy his fakery! I don’t want to hear about our fans, I want to hear how he’s going to address our poor results
It was like a morgue. KR talks so much s**t.

We had good stats at Cheltenham. Did they reflect how well we played there? My point being, you can manipulate the stats to
Satisfy your argument. The fact is, we are not scoring enough goals yet to suggest we are going to give someone a good hiding like you suggest.

Seddon, Bran & Whyte are not regular scorers. Despite their attempts.

Forgive me, I’m incredibly underwhelmed by the fare on offer so far and i am tired of the spin that comes from the manager and the growing number of statisticians looking far too closely at stats and not as closely at the thing that matters most, goals.
I agree, stats are absolute nonsense, and I'm sick of hearing about stats after every game these days.

The fans at the game could all see where we were falling short, and what needs to improve, and it doesn't take a genius or a team of statisticians to see where we did well and where we didn't.

All this statistical analysis is getting in the way of simply recognising the issues that need addressing, and making the relevant adjustments.

We had 72% possession.
25 shots, but only 7 on target.
42 crosses, all of which came to nothing.
12 corners, all of which came to nothing.
And only 3 clear cut chances.

Those are not good "stats" all it shows is our possession and our attacking play was either pedestrian, ineffective and tokenistic, or poorly executed, with too many hit and hope shots and crosses.

We don't need "stats" to tell us we were much better in the 2nd half, and deserved to win the game, but we need to be more aggressive, ruthless and clinical, with more urgency and intensity, all over the pitch, but especially in the final third, accept we're a league one side and stop trying to score nice, pretty little Man City type goals!

That said, we do have the players in the squad to be successful this season, but KR needs to take a long hard look at himself first, accept where he's getting things wrong, such as playing players out of position, and not giving players a fair crack of the whip, and then show some tactical flexibility, and find a lineup and system that gets the best out of the team.

If he can find a lineup and system that works, and gets them to click, then someone will get an absolute spanking.

I had a lifetime of working with performance stats so know how they can and can’t be used but you just can’t ignore them.
Yesterday, 25 shots, 7 on target. Through a combination of luck, resolute defending and poor decision making we didn’t score more. We also had 12 corners, sure we should be doing better with them but we are creating opportunities to score.
If you don’t create the opportunities, you don’t score. If we weren’t creating opportunities, I’d be worried.
I’m confident. You’re not. Let’s hope for a goalfest on Tuesday. 😉

I’m not actually sure that us having a corner reflects a chance to score being created, can it? When was the last time we actually scored from a corner?

NB: vs Cheltenham we had the following:

11 shots
5 on target
10 corners. We still lost the game.

The fact is, we are a nice looking side who get in good positions during games but we are not clinical enough at present. No amount of stats can be manipulated to suggest otherwise.

On reflection, our summer recruitment didnt address the issues from last season. Namely we didnt get the midfield enforcer who can play in the 4 who wins and retains the ball and we didn't get an alternative, genuine competition for Taylor up front. Had we got both of those, the chances we do create may result in more digits in the column that matters most - goals.

‘The fact is, we are a nice looking side who get in good positions during games but we are not clinical enough at present. No amount of stats can be manipulated to suggest otherwise.’

There we are , we agree on something.

I’ve covered corners in an earlier post, we should do better from them but they are opportunities to score.

‘The fact is, we are a nice looking side who get in good positions during games but we are not clinical enough at present. No amount of stats can be manipulated to suggest otherwise.’

There we are , we agree on something.

I’ve covered corners in an earlier post, we should do better from them but they are opportunities to score.

Getting in nice positions does not suggest we are creating a multitude of chances, as your stats would suggest. There in lies the difference.

we dont score from corners so an ‘opportunity to score’ is questionable, but i guess that is all part of the fun in debating.

Few points….

Stats do not win games, obviously, however, would you rather watch poor football like gillingham and Wycombe every week or watch a team like us trying to play decent football. Our possession is so high as we try to play football the right way. We don’t just lump it up and hope for the best.

We gave it a hell of a go in the second half. Dare I say it….we were just unlucky.

The tactical error was the constant crossing in the air. Gills were poor in the air 1st half (Taylor for 4 headers in on goal) but much better in the second half. Slam the ball in across the goal at pace and we will score more.

Long Corners are no use to us.
We need to devise 4/5 short corner routines.

Moore was immense, Kane very good and Taylor did a brilliant job. Lots of others had decent games.

A negative….When Henry doesn’t play well…we don’t win.

Yes, 2 points dropped but I would not bet against us beating accy and SW on Saturday if we play like that again. Not at all.

Keep the faith…it’s only September!

Although the result was disappointing yesterday i really enjoyed the game. I love the way we play and I’m sure we will start to turn around results pretty soon.
It’s early days and with the squad we have I think there are exciting times ahead.

Forgot to mention…the kassam has never felt like home. Not sure it ever will until we own it, build 4 stand, modernise it, etc.

I look at Wimbledon’s ground and Brentford, for example, with real envy.

No easy solution.

Getting in nice positions does not suggest we are creating a multitude of chances, as your stats would suggest. There in lies the difference.

we dont score from corners so an ‘opportunity to score’ is questionable, but i guess that is all part of the fun in debating.
Stats can help show where and how teams and individuals can improve if they need to. Recorded accurately, they paint a picture.
Everything about yesterday’s stats shows we dominated but didn’t score enough to win. Those who were there or watched it can add context to those stats.
I’m as disappointed as anyone that we didn’t win a game that we could and should have won, but I’m optimistic that we’ll turn it round based on recent performances.

Try. Forde up front with Taylor playing off him, he is tall and quick. Fat Man said they put 2 on Taylor 2nd half which more or less put him out of the game, Wimbledon did the same, constantly fouled at set pieces but effective, needs help..

Forgot to mention…the kassam has never felt like home. Not sure it ever will until we own it, build 4 stand, modernise it, etc.

I look at Wimbledon’s ground and Brentford, for example, with real envy.

No easy solution.
Tbh the only option is to leave. Kas*am will never play ball.

I loved that KRs first comment for his interview was how amazing us fans were today and how intelligent we were for seeing that they’re trying… he couldn’t get his tongue far enough up our arses if he tried

Unfortunately, some of our fans buy his fakery! I don’t want to hear about our fans, I want to hear how he’s going to address our poor results
Totally agree, that was his first comment, he needs us on his side and he knows it, tiger may have been his biggest fan but the big boys are in now and I can’t see them waiting too long for things to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom