Home Match Day Thread 25/9/2021 L1: OUFC v Gillingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand what we do in training because we definitely don’t practice shooting we are very good at playing triangle football backwards sideways football but actually getting the ball forward do they practice that I was thinking yesterday is our game plan to bore the other team. Also can somebody explain why Taylor in front of goal passed the ball instead of shooting honestly he is there to score so when in front of goal why not bloody shoot

FWIW, I though we were dire in the first half, but much better in the second, we wer right in front of the penalty decision and I wouldn’t have given it, I think the ref was pretty good, the gills goalie was excellent and earnt them the point, fair play to him for giving us a bit of banter after the game, he earnt it, at least two great saves.

Highlights (at least the short version) are a bit odd. They completely ignore the header Gillingham had when two players were queuing up to score and missed it!

As said before we need more intensity. Gillingham at home should be 3 points. I agree all teams drop points at home from time to time but we just strolled around at times. More urgency more intensity= more goals more enthusiastic fans. Simples!!

FWIW, I though we were dire in the first half, but much better in the second, we wer right in front of the penalty decision and I wouldn’t have given it, I think the ref was pretty good, the gills goalie was excellent and earnt them the point, fair play to him for giving us a bit of banter after the game, he earnt it, at least two great saves.

Their goalie made some good saves, but was also sensationally lucky yesterday.

Dropped a routine cross at Bodin's feet five yards out without being punished; he made that great save on Taylor but when the ball ballooned in the air, he almost palmed it into his goal.....instead he just got enough on it to hit the crossbar and over; and then he had one very limp-waisted flap at a routine Moore header that landed on the roof of his net when it should have been a routine catch.

Didn't think he was generally that convincing. In fact, I thought the Gills were overall the poorest side we've played this season. Look like relegation candidates to me. Some really bad players in that XI.

Which just adds on to the frustration of yesterday.
We are a really good side from box to box, but unless and until we start making better decisions, and frankly stop panicking with our final ball and/or finishing, then we're going nowhere.

(agree on the pen shout though......it would have been very soft)

Their goalie made some good saves, but was also sensationally lucky yesterday.

Dropped a routine cross at Bodin's feet five yards out without being punished; he made that great save on Taylor but when the ball ballooned in the air, he almost palmed it into his goal.....instead he just got enough on it to hit the crossbar and over; and then he had one very limp-waisted flap at a routine Moore header that landed on the roof of his net when it should have been a routine catch.

Didn't think he was generally that convincing. In fact, I thought the Gills were overall the poorest side we've played this season. Look like relegation candidates to me. Some really bad players in that XI.

Which just adds on to the frustration of yesterday.
We are a really good side from box to box, but unless and until we start making better decisions, and frankly stop panicking with our final ball and/or finishing, then we're going nowhere.

(agree on the pen shout though......it would have been very soft)
That’s just the same as saying we almost scored, he saved it, that’s one reason we drew

He saved one with his knee, also a great save because we didn’t score.

Kane said his preferred position is higher up the pitch. We’d miss Gorrin if he wasn’t there.
It would a huge waste of Kane, Brannagan or McGuane to play them there. Gorrin, however, is the weak link. We need a more able version of him, one who doesn’t refuse to play a progressive ball at almost every opportunity.

He’s a destroyer of play. Unfortunately, he’s as effective on the destruction of our momentum as he is the opposition’s.

Feels like we're in a kind of limbo off field currently, and this is seeping into Kr, and certain players.

I've always backed particular players recently that have come in for stick: Henry, Taylor and to a point Dan. I think (for me) backing them is fully warranted, and I completely understand opposing opinions, that's part of the forum.

However, I am really at a loss to see why Kr should get any more time at our club. He won't get the bullet, what with the club in a major transitional period though, so he knows he's safe.

TonyW (apart from Ryanio, he is my most respected poster on here), said something a week or so ago on here that really stuck with me regarding KR. That it all feels much like the final year of Wilders time. We all want it to end, it isn't looking like it will end. And so ground hog day continues.

Feels like we're in a kind of limbo off field currently, and this is seeping into Kr, and certain players.

I've always backed particular players recently that have come in for stick: Henry, Taylor and to a point Dan. I think (for me) backing them is fully warranted, and I completely understand opposing opinions, that's part of the forum.

However, I am really at a loss to see why Kr should get any more time at our club. He won't get the bullet, what with the club in a major transitional period though, so he knows he's safe.

TonyW (apart from Ryanio, he is my most respected poster on here), said something a week or so ago on here that really stuck with me regarding KR. That it all feels much like the final year of Wilders time. We all want it to end, it isn't looking like it will end. And so ground hog day continues.
Hasn’t reached that level yet ,most of CW last year there was open hostility towards him from a large part of the fan base, that may come if results get worse or mid table seems a likely finish early on.

Here’s a stat: we’ve just played one of the weakest teams in the league. At home. We couldn’t win. We’re about to play Accrington, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, and Plymouth. Check out their league positions.

Here’s a stat: we’ve just played one of the weakest teams in the league. At home. We couldn’t win. We’re about to play Accrington, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, and Plymouth. Check out their league positions.
Has the myth that we are "better than we were last season" finally been put to bed now?

Stats can help show where and how teams and individuals can improve if they need to. Recorded accurately, they paint a picture.
Everything about yesterday’s stats shows we dominated but didn’t score enough to win. Those who were there or watched it can add context to those stats.
I’m as disappointed as anyone that we didn’t win a game that we could and should have won, but I’m optimistic that we’ll turn it round based on recent performances.
I know a lad who is employed by a 'league' club to do the stats and videoing for them. Me and my son met him a couple of weeks ago and had a long chat. He said that after the most recent game he took the video and stats to the manager and coaching staff. The manager told him ' we won't bother with the stats but we'll watch the video later.
This club is doing VERY well in the league they are in!!

Has the myth that we are "better than we were last season" finally been put to bed now?
No because last year after 9 games we had 9 points rather than 12 and had conceded 7 more goals than we have done at the same stage this season. The only thing better last year was that after 9 games we had scored 11 goals rather than the 10 we have scored so far.

We are slow starters under Robinson, always have been but then have also always been strong at the back end of a season. After 3 and half years you would of thought that fans would of got used to this.

No because last year after 9 games we had 9 points rather than 12 and had conceded 7 more goals than we have done at the same stage this season. The only thing better last year was that after 9 games we had scored 11 goals rather than the 10 we have scored so far.

We are slow starters under Robinson, always have been but then have also always been strong at the back end of a season. After 3 and half years you would of thought that fans would of got used to this.
I was about the post those same stats.

However I think we *are* used to KR having poor starts to every season - but that isn't a reason not to be disappointed and irritated by it. The fact that he doesn't seem to learn from his past mistakes probably makes it worse!

Ah, so that's ok then...

I haven’t read the tread fully but 24 hours ish on and I can’t still can’t believe we didn’t win
We shoot too high or wide ( need to hit the target more)
We shoot straight at the goalie
We are through on goal ….. but we pass…..
we are in a position to shoot but we take an extra touch giving defenders time to block the shot when it finally happens
I think, no I know that for years and years and years we have be calling out for a coach to help with this ……

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom