Home Match Day Thread 28/09/2021 L1: OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive performance from Forde last night who was unfortunate to lose his place at Cheltenham.
Robbo has a big decision to make at Hillsborough on Saturday - does Long come straight back in ?

FAZi-XoVEAUu7mz
I don't think it would be fair to Forde if SL is brought back in, I'm not sure SL is properly fit yet anyway

Impressive performance from Forde last night who was unfortunate to lose his place at Cheltenham.
Robbo has a big decision to make at Hillsborough on Saturday - does Long come straight back in ?

FAZi-XoVEAUu7mz
Wednesday played Marvin Johnson at left back yesterday.
If they are very strong down the left side with pace, Sam Long may be better to deal with that defensively.
I wonder also whether Gorrin will play on Saturday and if he does, who on earth misses out (presumably Henry?)

FAZi-XoVEAUu7mz

Based purely on their performances so far this season, i would 100% go with Forde on Saturday. However, Foley's comment on Johnson is definitely a factor and a good argument for Long.

My assumption was that Robinson set the team up last night in anticipation of being on the front foot. Gorrin is a very useful spoiler but he doesn't pass and move as well as either Brannagan or Kane, so if we expect to control the game more than the latter two make more sense. Likewise, if we expect to spend more time attacking then Forde makes more sense than Long. If Long is fit enough then I wouldn't be surprised if he starts on Saturday in a game where I'd expect us to be under much more pressure.

My assumption was that Robinson set the team up last night in anticipation of being on the front foot. Gorrin is a very useful spoiler but he doesn't pass and move as well as either Brannagan or Kane, so if we expect to control the game more than the latter two make more sense. Likewise, if we expect to spend more time attacking then Forde makes more sense than Long. If Long is fit enough then I wouldn't be surprised if he starts on Saturday in a game where I'd expect us to be under much more pressure.
How about Long replacing McNally on Saturday if Thorniley is still unfit and Forde remaining at RB?

It’s all back slaps and high fives at Horspath rd today.

Holland carried from the car park shoulder high to a rousing rendition of ‘for he’s a jolly good fellow!’

Sadly three are now out with lift related injuries.

McGuane tripped over a treatment table in his excitement of our victory and has broken a leg.

Physio has examined it and it is beyond repair… New treatment table now ordered! Clumsy fucker!!😂

Karl was spotted cartwheeling down the corridor before casting his beady eye over another brutal game of murder ball.
Happy days!😂👍🏽

Thought the atmosphere last night was electric, I’m glad Sonia from Eastenders decided to turn up in that torrential rain with her out of tune trumpet. 🎺

It’s all back slaps and high fives at Horspath rd today.

Holland carried from the car park shoulder high to a rousing rendition of ‘for he’s a jolly good fellow!’

Sadly three are now out with lift related injuries.

McGuane tripped over a treatment table in his excitement of our victory and has broken a leg.

Physio has examined it and it is beyond repair… New treatment table now ordered! Clumsy fucker!!😂

Karl was spotted cartwheeling down the corridor before casting his beady eye over another brutal game of murder ball.
Happy days!😂👍🏽
That's a shame for McGuane but it frees up a spot in the squad so we can bring in another winger (y)

What a difference a win makes. Especially a convincing one in good style.

It’s only 3 points no matter how many you win by but it certainly reassures a few that needed it, that we are a very good side. Accrington are no mugs - they will say they had an off day but we really put them away. A much needed boost for the players who may have doubted themselves as some of the fans have been.

Consistency is key and if we go and get thumped 4-0 on Saturday then last night will feel a distant memory and the haters will craw back out from under their rocks. Though I was pleased to see one or two hand out the credit due despite going in hard on the tactics last week. We were really good yesterday bar a few scruffy instances at the back which is to be expected vs a team built for second balls.

The big difference for me yesterday was our intent and aggression in the final third. Holland, from the off, was prepared to run at people and both make and force mistakes. Forde didn’t over think, he got in space and put consistently good deliveries in. Taylor was up against giants and didn’t look lost, he put himself about and made their life difficult. We weren’t afraid to put a couple over the top and chase the lost causes etc. All these things we have been trying to do but it just hasn’t happened like it did last night. We felt like a far more balanced side yesterday than we have been.

I think we’d all like to see Whyte now on the right and see what he and Holland can produce as a partnership. I personally don’t see how you can drop Forde who was my MoM last night. Another big positive for me was the CB partnership of McNally and Moore who, despite giving in to the scruffy style Accrington want at times, they really stood up to the physical test and made good decisions on the ball. I’d like to see them together for 5-10 games.

My head isn’t in the clouds, we could quickly be back in the doldrums given the fixtures ahead but as I said at the start, this is a stark reminder that we can be a very, very good side. Style has never been the problem, it’s the execution. If we get performances like that then we have a chance everywhere we go. Consistency will make or break our season.

For those of you saying Taylor was offside, definitely not. Taken from the highlights video...

1632909971622.png
The fullback indicated (this is at 1:01 on the video) is heading back towards his own goal...

1632910012662.png
Now, the moment the ball was played (around 1:02.5), you can see the defender hidden by the OUFC Badge in the corner, playing Taylor onside comfortably. Shocking defending really.

For those of you saying Taylor was offside, definitely not. Taken from the highlights video...

View attachment 7242
The fullback indicated (this is at 1:01 on the video) is heading back towards his own goal...

View attachment 7243
Now, the moment the ball was played (around 1:02.5), you can see the defender hidden by the OUFC Badge in the corner, playing Taylor onside comfortably. Shocking defending really.
To be honest, and this reinforces the point I was making to Baz, the commentary team really should be quiet in backing our boys when they are arguing about offsides. This was the case numerous times in the first half as well when Accrington were attacking and the vast majority if not all seemed good decisions.

both Kane and Gorrin will end up amassing yellow cards, and suspensions, with Moore, McNally, Thorniley and Sam Long as CB options, Thorniley could, if required , deputise as defensive midfield/ or be back up cover for that position, for the times when Kane and Gorrin are suspended

Kane was outstanding last night IMO

The main difference between Saturday and yesterday was the pass forward when it was available. Kane looks for that option whereas Gorrin doesn't. Also pace used wisely to get past a player made a difference. Very positive performance. Let's hope KR continues to focus on the strengths of our squad rather than over reacting to the opposition. We obviously look to analyse the opposition but we don't need to change and bring back Gorrin. Our structure yesterday was robust and flexible. More wins on the horizon if we hold our nerve.

Not to downplay our performance in any way but we definitely benefited from the opposition having a very raw young Man City loan playing at right-back last night.

As Radio Oxford noted pre-game, he was the perfect opposition player for Holland to have on his wing and we saw, particularly in the first half, how much pressure the young guy was put under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom