Away Match Build Up 31/8/21 Papa John Trophy: Cambridge United v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular opinion - I like the EFL Trophy.

Genuine chance of silverware and a Wembley appearance, competitive matches which aren’t fatal to the bigger picture if we go out and I like the way that KR approaches it. He uses the youth players well in it and rotates the squad. The group stage expands that chance for some of the squad players to shine although I’d happily keep the format without the Under Twenty-whatevers in it.

It’s three matches at least for us to give the likes of LCP, Josh Johnson, GO’D and the like minutes to see what they are capable of.
But that isn't why people dislike it!

Yes, it gives young players and those not in the starting first team side a chance to shine - I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Personally (but probably speaking for all those who dislike it) - it's the inclusion of the Prem B-teams / "U21s plus a few" that makes it unpalatable.

I don't get this boycott one bit, your supporting your own club not the under 21 premier team. Plus surely the more money the club get the better. What else would you do on a Tuesday night? Oxford is life and I don't care if its a friendly, trophy or league game I will always try and attend.
Look at the bigger picture. B teams are in the cup only at the moment, but then what if they get b-teams in the league, all of a sudden a lot of lower league teams will start falling out the league, replaced by teams like Everton B team for example. I don’t blame anyone for supporting there club but let’s be realistic about what the end game is for these Premiership clubs, they want B teams in the league.

I don't get this boycott one bit, your supporting your own club not the under 21 premier team. Plus surely the more money the club get the better. What else would you do on a Tuesday night? Oxford is life and I don't care if its a friendly, trophy or league game I will always try and attend.

Thin end of a wedge - listen to those who know.

It won`t matter now but in 5-10 years time there will be "Prem B teams" in the pyramid by fair means or foul.

Same as when SKY started polluting the game.

Thin end of a wedge - listen to those who know.

It won`t matter now but in 5-10 years time there will be "Prem B teams" in the pyramid by fair means or foul.

Same as when SKY started polluting the game.
I think when you combine that and VAR I'll have to finally pack it all in.

Unpopular opinion - I like the EFL Trophy.

Genuine chance of silverware and a Wembley appearance, competitive matches which aren’t fatal to the bigger picture if we go out and I like the way that KR approaches it. He uses the youth players well in it and rotates the squad. The group stage expands that chance for some of the squad players to shine although I’d happily keep the format without the Under Twenty-whatevers in it.

It’s three matches at least for us to give the likes of LCP, Josh Johnson, GO’D and the like minutes to see what they are capable of.
Spot on.

Take the U21 teams out and this competitions reputation would be enhanced/revived.

I won’t go to the Spurs game out of principal. I’ll definitely be there for Stevenage.

I went to the Barnsley one, but that was pre B team.

I didn't really enjoy Barnsley though, just couldn't really care less about it for some reason. I'm 5x happier when we win a league game than lift a meaningless trophy.

But I recognise its money for the club.
Good take.

Pre B team I liked the tournament. The Barnsley game was fun. Now it just doesn't exist in my calendar.

No injuries tomorrow 🙏

tomorrow nights referee is Sam Allison

he was officiating at national league/ conference level 2019/20 season
last season he refereed 35 games, mainly league 2 , with some league 1 and a few EFL trophy ganes- issued 102 yellow cards and 1 red

this season, so far he's officiated 4 matches, ( two league 2, one League cup and one league 1) 15 yellows and 3 red cards he has issued in those 4 games

I can't find any record of him refereeing an Oxford United game

Take the U21 teams out and this competitions reputation would be enhanced/revived.
Pre-B Teams it was still a competition that fans took very little interest in until the business end of the competition, in that respect, not much has changed, all that B teams have done is increase the prize money which can only be a good thing for OUFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom