Sport Azeem Rafiq - oh dear!

Institutional culture is driven by people and the better those people are the better the culture of the institution. 🤷‍♀️

Our recruitment process strips out all personally identifiable information, then there is shortlisting based on qualifications, skills etc marked as essential or desirable.
Then there is an interview process by which point the recruiting manager really doesn`t care about race, gender or anything else!
And if you read what I wrote you can see that exactly that system can result in de facto discrimination - despite the individuals not even being in a position to discriminate. It literally is about the institution not the individuals. Literally. It’s in the name.

This misunderstanding of what institutional racism is reminds me of the reporting after the Stephen Lawrence trial with its finding of institutional racism in the met. The wife of one of the met coppers involved was on the news, distraught, saying something like “It’s not right. My husband isn’t an institutional racist”. Exactly. He can’t be.

Same way that his fellow players turned a blind eye to his racism then, yeah? Or does it not matter as much, because he’s not white? Or, is it because Jews don’t matter? I’ve also seen him wearing a tshirt with “paki power” on the front of it. Seems it’s okay for him to be racist, but when the boot is on the other foot, it’s a big scandal and we are all to pander to him as some inspiration? Couldn’t care less. He’s just as bad.

If you are racist, and you receive racist abuse, then thats called universal balance. Unlucky.
Should anyone with a criminal record be banned from accessing any police assistance in the future then?

Should anyone with a criminal record be banned from accessing any police assistance in the future then?

I see it as not so much about being able to access police assistance, I agree it should be available to everyone.

But when you have committed a crime, say for example burglary, it’s probably a bit rich to then be playing the big “I am a victim” card if you then suffer such a crime yourself.

Doesn't excuse the abuse, it is all wrong, but it doesn’t sit well with me.

He who comes to equity, must come with clean hands.

Remind me how this is going................................... not well......
Just shows, if you are going throw mud at others in such a public way (his experiences sounded harrowing by the way so not belittling that in anyway) you need to be very clean yourself.

No it doesn't at all and it shouldn't but the antisemitic messages and this, if true, unfortunately does question his integrity as a witness.

He isn't the only witness though and him being a dick doesn't change that he suffered racist abuse.

He isn't the only witness though and him being a dick doesn't change that he suffered racist abuse.
Yes I agree with you. I'm as anti racist as anyone. Quite simply though if true it massively undermines him as a witness, you must be able to see that right?

Yes I agree with you. I'm as anti racist as anyone. Quite simply though if true it massively undermines him as a witness, you must be able to see that right?

I can see it and I'm sure the likes of the Mail/Express will jump all over it but I think it is too late for it to affect his testimony already given and the impact it has had.

I can see it and I'm sure the likes of the Mail/Express will jump all over it but I think it is too late for it to affect his testimony already given and the impact it has had.
Yes some of it but for example, he made some accusations around drinking alcohol and the pressure etc. Well if he is drinking alcohol on his own on a flight it questions that. If he is prepared to behave like that towards a teenage girl, I say again if true, questions his integrity. I agree about the Mail and Express but this should not be about left and right, just basic acceptable behaviour.

Yes some of it but for example, he made some accusations around drinking alcohol and the pressure etc. Well if he is drinking alcohol on his own on a flight it questions that. If he is prepared to behave like that towards a teenage girl, I say again if true, questions his integrity.

I don't doubt he is a dick but I don't link the 2. He was 15 when the drinking incident took place after all.

I don't doubt he is a dick but I don't link the 2. He was 15 when the drinking incident took place after all.
Not just that. He also spoke about how following that incident he didn't drink again until 2012 just to try and fit in at Yorkshire but this seriously undermines this and as such his honesty.

Back
Top Bottom