National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

I was talking in more general terms.

Believe it or not it was an attempt at humorous self-deprecation. Back to the drawing board with that though.
I'm sorry but this is a humour free zone. Ad hominem attacks and abusive language only.

Oh dear, misplaced optimism on my part. I should have known better than to believe a press release from this government would be anything but a rehash of old news. What was the point of it? To wind up the musicians and those who work on such tours? I despair of this government.

Do you mean all those folk living in portacabins earning £8 an hour have gone home due to the pandemic and Brexit? Your red circle missed that bit.

As far as farming goes the new style ELM`s payments, to replace EU subs, have broadly been welcomed as they are being designed by the very people using them rather than the "One Size fits All" EU methods.

Shop local, eat seasonal, eat less - save the planet. :)

Greta will love you.

Do you mean all those folk living in portacabins earning £8 an hour have gone home due to the pandemic and Brexit? Your red circle missed that bit.
As I've said before increasing the minimum wage was the answer.

As I've said before increasing the minimum wage was the answer.

Doesn`t make much difference if the gangmaster is taking "accommodation & food" out of the salary.

Here is an interesting read of what really happened from a more balanced source than the daily rags.

From the article...............
"With the lifting of travel restrictions, the opening of land borders and the re-introduction of some commercial flights, a reasonable proportion of the workers who were contracted to come here did arrive,” says Marston.
“A significant proportion of those workers have now come through – with most farms reporting 70 percent to 80 percent of jobs filled – which means that the total number of picking jobs available to Brits is actually anything between 8,000 and 12,000.

Doesn`t make much difference if the gangmaster is taking "accommodation & food" out of the salary.

Here is an interesting read of what really happened from a more balanced source than the daily rags.

"With the lifting of travel restrictions, the opening of land borders and the re-introduction of some commercial flights, a reasonable proportion of the workers who were contracted to come here did arrive,” says Marston.
“A significant proportion of those workers have now come through – with most farms reporting 70 percent to 80 percent of jobs filled – which means that the total number of picking jobs available to Brits is actually anything between 8,000 and 12,000.

Just a quick point on the above. If the "gangmaster" (usually it's the farmer direct) is taking anything for lodging or payroll etc. then the deductions should not be under the National Minimum Wage. The employer can use the accommodation offset rate (£57.40) to avoid this. This rate has gone up over a number of years in line with NMW so it would make a difference if the NMW was increased as the offset rate would increase.

Of course it doesn't make a difference if we really are referring to gangmasters and some form of forced or bonded labour but at that point we've moved beyond the discussion above.

You seem to be trying to pin the failure of UK authorities to ensure the laws of the land are adhered to on the EU. Bit desperate really.

You seem to be trying to pin the failure of UK authorities to ensure the laws of the land are adhered to on the EU. Bit desperate really.

Just the reality of how much coerced/forced/bonded/slave labour occurs in this country under all our noses.

As long as YOU get your car washed for £10.
As long as YOU get your carrots for 99p.
As long as YOU get your nails done for £20.
As long as YOU get your 2 t-shirts for £10

That is what drives it............... if I was in charge there would be a very heavy hand applied to such exploitation of people.

Just the reality of how much coerced/forced/bonded/slave labour occurs in this country under all our noses.

As long as YOU get your car washed for £10.
As long as YOU get your carrots for 99p.
As long as YOU get your nails done for £20.
As long as YOU get your 2 t-shirts for £10

That is what drives it............... if I was in charge there would be a very heavy hand applied to such exploitation of people.
It’s the same globally (not really a Brexit issue either way, exploitation doesn’t pick a side other than the exploiter.

Ive seen it through work (first hand speaking to those that have been exploited) in Scandinavia, U.K., South Africa, India, China, Brazil, North America and so on.

Agree though that your list is just one part of the problem, particularly here in the U.K.

It’s the same globally (not really a Brexit issue either way, exploitation doesn’t pick a side other than the exploiter.

Ive seen it through work (first hand speaking to those that have been exploited) in Scandinavia, U.K., South Africa, India, China, Brazil, North America and so on.

Agree though that your list is just one part of the problem, particularly here in the U.K.

It's the blunt end of cheap consumerism.

Around here they estimated that 10,000 people were involved in forced labour and poor working conditions, a local MP got all shouty in 2020.

Has it stopped? No.

Has anyone done anything? Well yes, sort of............ but they got blindsided.

They gave the factory owners plenty enough notice they were coming........ strange that as many councillors are involved in said businesses.

It's the blunt end of cheap consumerism.

Around here they estimated that 10,000 people were involved in forced labour and poor working conditions, a local MP got all shouty in 2020.

Has it stopped? No.

Has anyone done anything? Well yes, sort of............ but they got blindsided.

They gave the factory owners plenty enough notice they were coming........ strange that as many councillors are involved in said businesses.

Think I’ve posted this before but if not it’s worth a read; https://www.modernslaveryhelpline.org/uploads/20210407114600907.pdf

Probably the most comprehensive and up to date report on modern slavery and exploitation in the U.K. Although only the tip of the ice berg as these are captured through the Modern Slavery Helpline. Obviously many cases aren’t reported.

Back
Top Bottom