International News Climate Change 🌍

Bet that works well around the Oxford ring road .
0-60 times are oft’ quoted by those who drive an EV.
They may be impressive, but if that and zero tail pipe emissions are there only saving grace, I’ll leave it for now .
Guess it comes down to which are more interminably dull, Petrolheads or EVangelists :unsure:

You decide!

Bet that works well around the Oxford ring road .
0-60 times are oft’ quoted by those who drive an EV.
They may be impressive, but if that and zero tail pipe emissions are there only saving grace, I’ll leave it for now .
As mentioned before - vastly reduced service costs. Tires need more frequent replacement but that’s it. Brake pads can last 100000km because most of the braking is regenerative.

It’s not just 0-60, it’s acceleration at speed that is vastly improved and aided by not having a gear box. So overtaking and emergency action are better controlled than most petrol cars.
For the ring road, (not unique to EVs) the basic autopilot stuff in a Tesla (lane control, adaptive cruise control) are perfect for stop and go traffic. They were designed for la freeways.
The convenience of just plugging your car in at home to fill up. I don’t know how the prices stack up in Uk, but my car does ~300-360 km for 60 kWh which costs me $18, which would buy me 10 l of fuel. So cost wise that’s about 3 l per 100 km.
If I have to leave home at 2 in the morning I can do it silently and without pumping exhaust fumes into the neighbours back yard.
The quietness of the car on the road is amazing. You can listen to way more subtle music.
Since switching to electric I very much doubt if I’ll ever go back. The only thing I don’t like about my car is the turning circle’s a bit big.

By 2036 apparently 92% of the UK population boom will be migrants.

Hope some of them will support Oxford.
I wonder how much of the population booms in countries like Nigeria or Turkey or Japan will be migrants?

Only UK and the west has a duty to dilute its culture it seems.

I wonder how much of the population booms in countries like Nigeria or Turkey or Japan will be migrants?

The only way japan’s going to boom is by increasing immigration. They’ve been in constant population decline for years now.

Dilute it's culture. What a load of absolute bollox :ROFLMAO:

Is this the same culture we've been culitvating for thousands and thousands of years based on #checks notes# immigration?
:ROFLMAO:

As mentioned before - vastly reduced service costs. Tires need more frequent replacement but that’s it. Brake pads can last 100000km because most of the braking is regenerative.

It’s not just 0-60, it’s acceleration at speed that is vastly improved and aided by not having a gear box. So overtaking and emergency action are better controlled than most petrol cars.
For the ring road, (not unique to EVs) the basic autopilot stuff in a Tesla (lane control, adaptive cruise control) are perfect for stop and go traffic. They were designed for la freeways.
The convenience of just plugging your car in at home to fill up. I don’t know how the prices stack up in Uk, but my car does ~300-360 km for 60 kWh which costs me $18, which would buy me 10 l of fuel. So cost wise that’s about 3 l per 100 km.
If I have to leave home at 2 in the morning I can do it silently and without pumping exhaust fumes into the neighbours back yard.
The quietness of the car on the road is amazing. You can listen to way more subtle music.
Since switching to electric I very much doubt if I’ll ever go back. The only thing I don’t like about my car is the turning circle’s a bit big.

That is only a positive if you get on with your neighbours. ;)

Dilute it's culture. What a load of absolute bollox :ROFLMAO:

Is this the same culture we've been culitvating for thousands and thousands of years based on #checks notes# immigration?
:ROFLMAO:
This trope is absolute tripe and any historian worth their salt would tell you as much.

For the last 1000 years before around 1960 the countries population would have been around 99%+ white British, even accounting for Irish and Jewish immigration in the 1800s.

The Romans invading and ruling until around 400 is a false equivalent to the mass immigration of today (which is totally unprecedented in British history)

This trope is absolute tripe and any historian worth their salt would tell you as much.

For the last 1000 years before around 1960 the countries population would have been around 99%+ white British, even accounting for Irish and Jewish immigration in the 1800s.

The Romans invading and ruling until around 400 is a false equivalent to the mass immigration of today (which is totally unprecedented in British history)
“99+%” white British might be overstating a bit. Eg one tranche of Huguenot immigration in 1670 was 1% of the population at the time.

This article from the national archives https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/englands-immigrants-1330-1550/
says “The database contains the names of a total of 65,000 immigrants resident in England between 1330 and 1550. In one year, 1440, the names of 14,500 individuals were recorded, at a time when the population of England was approximately 2 million”. 65000 is about 3%.

“99+%” white British might be overstating a bit. Eg one tranche of Huguenot immigration in 1670 was 1% of the population at the time.

This article from the national archives https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/englands-immigrants-1330-1550/
says “The database contains the names of a total of 65,000 immigrants resident in England between 1330 and 1550. In one year, 1440, the names of 14,500 individuals were recorded, at a time when the population of England was approximately 2 million”. 65000 is about 3%.
Maybe by "historian worth their salt" we're talking Neil Oliver :unsure:

These isles have always been a magnet for migrants. From the time Doggerland physically connected us to Europe to today.
That is what made this country and its culture.
The issue is its a small rock in the North Atlantic that has a limited capacity.
As long as we let in those we want/need, and a level of balance is maintained, the country and its diverse culture will continue to grow and change.

PS: done some TV work with Neil Oliver- he`s changed, a lot!

Yeah but literally the next sentence in the article, after the bit you quoted reads:

"Taking into account gaps in the records, the researchers estimated that one person in every 100 was from outside England."

So the researchers did settle on 99% after all!!

Yeah but literally the next sentence in the article, after the bit you quoted reads:

"Taking into account gaps in the records, the researchers estimated that one person in every 100 was from outside England."

So the researchers did settle on 99% after all!!
Sure - but the argument was that the population was "white British", which is different from saying not "from outside England". Those 1% of immigrants had kids, who were still Hugenot kids or whatever - presumably if you gave it a couple of generations before counting those immigrant familes as "white British", then you might be closer to 3 or 4% of 1,2,3-gen immigrant families. More recent immigration wavea into Britain don't all have the option of disappearing into a generic "white British" pool, and that's what seems to get nationalists hot under the collar.

Sure - but the argument was that the population was "white British", which is different from saying not "from outside England". Those 1% of immigrants had kids, who were still Hugenot kids or whatever - presumably if you gave it a couple of generations before counting those immigrant familes as "white British", then you might be closer to 3 or 4% of 1,2,3-gen immigrant families. More recent immigration wavea into Britain don't all have the option of disappearing into a generic "white British" pool, and that's what seems to get nationalists hot under the collar.

No, only a tiny proportion of that 1% would have been genuinely from "far away". The article says

"Their nationalities ranged from people from other parts of the British Isles, including Scots, Irish and Channel Islanders, to mainland Europeans from Portugal to Sweden, and from Greece to Iceland."

So yes some would have been "Europeans" seeking a friendly Christian country which matched their ideology (see the Hugenots), but the vast majority were just border hopping from elsewhere in Britain.

I don't think it's colour which bothers the nationalists - I think it's the lack of assimilation and integration. The point "we're all immigrants if you look back far enough" is perfectly true but I think it intentionally denies the reality of the serious problems we have with integration.

Anyway this is a climate change thread so I'll stop derailing it now.

Back
Top Bottom