International News Climate Change 🌍

No but then these movements have offshoots that can be more militant and they’re the ones what make people lose their patience with whole thing. This insulation lot are an offshoot of extinction rebellion.

Most offshoots you won't hear of. And yet again the Insulate Britain offshoot seem to having success getting their message across.

I remember plenty on here and elsewhere getting bizarrely upset about Greta and then Extinction Rebellion yet their arguments have taken hold in the mainstream. I'd say they were successful in that part of their protest.

from 2019 stats only 50% of housing stock has wall insulation. 34% did not have proper loft insulation. And 14% did not have full double-glazing.
Surely the privately owned properties should be taken care of by their owners, they bought the house so they would have known.

Surely the privately owned properties should be taken care of by their owners, they bought the house so they would have known.
Well yes, but many clearly don't either through lack of care, or lack of money.

The other issue is even with insulated homes, the lack of regulation means that many have found to be 'bodged' with mastic or caulk used to seal, which deteriorates over time, or merely badly fitted (though within regulation) and means that apparently insulated homes leak.

from 2019 stats only 50% of housing stock has wall insulation. 34% did not have proper loft insulation. And 14% did not have full double-glazing.
Wow! That is worse than I expected. No wonder people feel like gluing their face to the road.

Wow! That is worse than I expected. No wonder people feel like gluing their face to the road.
I was surprised. Wonder how much of it is buy-to-let property where the landlord just wants to maximise profits.

Well yes, but many clearly don't either through lack of care, or lack of money.

The other issue is even with insulated homes, the lack of regulation means that many have found to be 'bodged' with mastic or caulk used to seal, which deteriorates over time, or merely badly fitted (though within regulation) and means that apparently insulated homes leak.
I can understand homes that are rented either privately or through social housing if the mastic or caulk has been budged or even deteriorated over time then that’s the landlords prerogative to sort however privately that has to be the owners responsibility.
One of my daughters are selling and moving to a 500k house and she is having everything surveyed so she doesn’t get caught out at a later stage. Her younger sister bought her first house and skipped a survey and a month later her boiler packed up it would have been spotted if she had a full survey needless to say her 2nd house she had every check done as she didn’t want to get caught out. So personally I think private owners should take care of their insulation.

Last edited:
It really baffles me that some people pretebd climate change isn't true. It feels as if we spend a lot of time ignorijg the problem because it's too scary to engage with how bad it is. I've low expectations fron any summit like this. It really seems like we are all waitijg for someone to invent something that fixes it all, and are carrying on as before in hope this happens.

Hopefully I'm just being a misery guts and actually things *do* change...

The pandemic is projected to result in a ongoing 2% reduction in GDP. Brexit a 4% reduction. Brexit was self imposed!!

So using your score card Brexit is double s**t.

BBC News - Impact of Brexit on economy 'worse than Covid'

Quite possibly.

But see SD comments above. It’s all just numbers on a spreadsheet that actually mean b****r all.

So, if you can’t owe yourself money, then spend what you need to spend and make sure we are all getting the services we need. GDP doesn’t come into it, just the actions of government.

👍

Quite possibly.

But see SD comments above. It’s all just numbers on a spreadsheet that actually mean b****r all.

So, if you can’t owe yourself money, then spend what you need to spend and make sure we are all getting the services we need. GDP doesn’t come into it, just the actions of government.

👍
Nope....still can't see where I said GDP doesn't matter 🤷‍♂️

The fact that our productivity is very poor compared to someone like, say Germany (with all those immigrunts) does put us at a disadvantage......as does our increasingly limited Labour pool to draw on, exacerbated by our isolationism.

The argument was around the justification for Austerity and using the levels of national debt as some kind of crude comparator for a household credit card. It is nothing of the sort...and especially not for a sovereign state that produces it's own currency.

Quite possibly.

👍
I think you are confusing borrowing with productivity and output (GDP).

I think you are confusing borrowing with productivity and output (GDP).

If GDP is a measure of a countries economic wealth on the one hand and that same country has unlimited access to money as a sovereign state producing its own currency, it has to have unlimited wealth doesn’t it?

thought I'd share this following quip thats doing the rounds ... ( it did make me smile!)

Q how many Boris supporters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A None. Boris proclaims he has already changed it, while his supporters applaud, still sitting in the dark

Last edited:
If GDP is a measure of a countries economic wealth on the one hand and that same country has unlimited access to money as a sovereign state producing its own currency, it has to have unlimited wealth doesn’t it?
It's not a messure of a country's wealth. It's the value of its outputs in a defined period.

thought I'd share this following quip thats doing the rounds ... ( it did make me smile!)

Q how many Boris supporters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A None. Boris proclaims he has already changed it, while his supporters applaud, still sitting in the dark
Then, as we sit miserably shivering in the dark and someone says ‘maybe Boris should have changed the lightbulb by now?’ someone pipes up ‘Yeah but when Brown and Blair left there were hardly any working lightbulbs left’ and another ‘Can you imagine how many lights we’d have out under Corbyn though?’

It really baffles me that some people pretebd climate change isn't true. It feels as if we spend a lot of time ignorijg the problem because it's too scary to engage with how bad it is. I've low expectations fron any summit like this. It really seems like we are all waitijg for someone to invent something that fixes it all, and are carrying on as before in hope this happens.

Hopefully I'm just being a misery guts and actually things *do* change...

Thankfully I think the last two or three years - since XR, Greta Thunberg et al have become mainstream headline makers - the voices those who deny it have quietened down or at the least haven't found a platform to become vocal about it. The BBC have run with climate and COP26 stories for a good few weeks now and haven't asked some fruit loop on to argue against it like they have done in the past (Nigel Lawson in the interests of 'balance'). With Trump out too, there's not many figureheads left for the loons to follow. Even Piers Corbyn let his supporters down badly - although it was funny for the rest of us. Well worth a watch if you have a few minutes (link).

Climate change deniers should be viewed in the same way as deniers of any other inalienable facts such as flat earthers or holocaust deniers - weirdos whose views are not just wrong but outright dangerous.

Science and industry created this problem and can put a stop to it too. Whilst the political bickering at COP26 may seem bleak, the real work is happening behind the scenes. As a confidence booster, I heartily recommend watching the Earthshot programmes on the BBC which show real initiatives from individuals, companies, cities and nations in solving environmental problems.

I believe a marginal gains approach is needed. I do not expect everyone to be vegan, driving a hydrogen powered car, producing no waste, travelling via hyperloop or solar-powered plane this time next year, but with incremental steps and making sustainable products and services the norm, we can reverse the impacts of climate change.

Last edited:
... I heartily recommend watching the Earthshot programmes on the BBC with show real initiatives from individuals, companies, cities and nations in solving environmental problems.
I watched the Earthshot awards thing the other week. The initiatives by some, as you say all the way from individuals to countries, were encouraging. I didn't really see the point of awarding £1m to a country or even a large city though, surely that would make much more difference to the smaller entities?

So a better gdp doesn’t make a country and it’s population wealthier then?
Er yes but it's not a messure of its wealth. Its wealth will be the net of all the output it has ever generated less the total it has ever consumed or depreciated. In very basic terms albeit.

Back
Top Bottom