General Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn’t realised that the gym/swimming pool bit of the ozone had shut down till last night, really is turning into a white elephant up there, yet people want to stay there?

On a side note apparently Kassam is considering running the gym/swimming pool himself, so if anyone fancies paying a monthly membership for an unfilled pool, one dumbbell and a skipping rope that might well be an option fairly soon.
Firoka would probably sell you a membership then drive you to the sewage farm nearby for a day's labouring and shifting sh*t, tell you that's exercise before taking a cut of your wages.

I hadn’t realised that the gym/swimming pool bit of the ozone had shut down till last night, really is turning into a white elephant up there, yet people want to stay there?

On a side note apparently Kassam is considering running the gym/swimming pool himself, so if anyone fancies paying a monthly membership for an unfilled pool, one dumbbell and a skipping rope that might well be an option fairly soon.
I fail to see how a swimming pool will work with only 3 sides and no corners...

Positives:
Land could very easily already have been bought.

The design etc can be ready to roll.

They can afford it.

Less positive:
No planning applications are in yet, they have to be public knowledge no matter the importance or the scale, and it has to go through the correct channels - even the likes of HS2 that has a raft of legislative backing to "force it along" has to apply for planning for "local" aspects even if it can`t be stopped per se.

It will only take one Les Wells to get in the way or some NIMBY organisation to appear and that's a fair chunk of time gone.

Time & tide wait for no man.

Gloomy.
They decide the Theatre of Dreams (South) is going somewhere like Bicester and alienating a large chunk of an already fragile fanbase.

Attracting new customers for an "experience" against Accrington/ Morecambe et al will not work - eg: Team not successful enough.

The wheels fall off the Team completely and we get relegated.

Who knows eh? 🤷‍♀️

There is no way our Directors are going to pump money into the club build a new stadium and wait 13 years to start to get anything back
So either something is ready to go or it’s a stadium/ land around stadium buy out
My bet on any new ground is still next to the training ground on the BMW/ Unipart site surely counts as brownfield land
Nothing ready to go yet

If we use your timeframes, and discount what doesn't apply then we have a more realistic picture.

There has been far more work carried out behind the scenes than many believe. It's not impossible to see a situation where we have already secured options on our preferred site, and that plans have already been drawn up. Local authorities have also been spoken to which won't guarantee planning permission but will certainly smooth the process. Also, the planning process has changed a lot over the last decade which can fast track appropriate applications.

So let's say that immediately after the takeover has been confirmed, an announcement is made that land has been purchased and planning submitted. Its not unreasonable to think that planning couldn't be granted during the next 12 months. Without the need to complete additional land or clear the site, main construction work could start immediately.

2 and a half years from ground breaking to completion for Brentford is a little longer than May have been expected, and covid could have contributed to that. DC Uniteds Audi Fields was completed in 17 months with Thohir at the helm.

So I suggest a slightly different time frame,

November 2021 - takeover approved by efl. Bakrie confirmed as Chairman. Announcement made regarding our intention to move.

December 2021 - confirmation on land purchase and the submission of plans for development of stadium, community, retail and leisure facilities.

December 2022 - planning granted

January 2023 - ground breaking, construction begins.

June/July 2024 - stadium completed and handed over already for the start of the 24/25 season and a year ahead of the lease running out on the Kassam.

For those already looking to angrily quote these dates, they're there as a guide only but to show that completion could be much quicker than is being suggested, and even building in contingencies means that we're very unlikely to be homeless or ground sharing any time soon.

And, once more, we are definitely NOT buying the Kassam!!
You forgot the consultation process which can take a long time.

They could do up the ozone.

The examples of Newcastle United and to a lesser extent, Swindon Town, demonstrate what a change of ownership can initially achieve - short term. The principle I would say, would be similar if a change of landlord happened. However, if you're so dogged and entrenched in hate, then it's a an irrelevant debating point.

If we use your timeframes, and discount what doesn't apply then we have a more realistic picture.

There has been far more work carried out behind the scenes than many believe. It's not impossible to see a situation where we have already secured options on our preferred site, and that plans have already been drawn up. Local authorities have also been spoken to which won't guarantee planning permission but will certainly smooth the process. Also, the planning process has changed a lot over the last decade which can fast track appropriate applications.

So let's say that immediately after the takeover has been confirmed, an announcement is made that land has been purchased and planning submitted. Its not unreasonable to think that planning couldn't be granted during the next 12 months. Without the need to complete additional land or clear the site, main construction work could start immediately.

2 and a half years from ground breaking to completion for Brentford is a little longer than May have been expected, and covid could have contributed to that. DC Uniteds Audi Fields was completed in 17 months with Thohir at the helm.

So I suggest a slightly different time frame,

November 2021 - takeover approved by efl. Bakrie confirmed as Chairman. Announcement made regarding our intention to move.

December 2021 - confirmation on land purchase and the submission of plans for development of stadium, community, retail and leisure facilities.

December 2022 - planning granted

January 2023 - ground breaking, construction begins.

June/July 2024 - stadium completed and handed over already for the start of the 24/25 season and a year ahead of the lease running out on the Kassam.

For those already looking to angrily quote these dates, they're there as a guide only but to show that completion could be much quicker than is being suggested, and even building in contingencies means that we're very unlikely to be homeless or ground sharing any time soon.

And, once more, we are definitely NOT buying the Kassam!!
It was just the most recent example, and whilst on the long side, shows the blockages that can happen. I don't know the details of the land proposed, but the £1million strip of land at Grenoble Road wasn't exactly planned for. Re construction delays, hopefully be gone by then, but there are definitely big delays in construction materials, and the current energy crisis is doing its best to kill off the British steel industry.

The examples of Newcastle United and to a lesser extent, Swindon Town, demonstrate what a change of ownership can initially achieve - short term. The principle I would say, would be similar if a change of landlord happened. However, if you're so dogged and entrenched in hate, then it's a an irrelevant debating point.
Not sure why you're suggesting a change of landlord at Grenoble Rd, when it's not on anyones agenda and will not happen, Simon?

@The mighty Aldo

Your original questions were;

Is that because you know OGB refuses to sell at any cost and the new board have tried and failed to negotiate a price?

Kassam has a price, but will hold out for the same valuation the land has if approved for housing, which is far more than anyone would be willing to pay. You can't negotiate with someone unwilling to budge, and the board have been actively working towards a new stadium from day one.

Or do they want a new start at a new place?

That has always been the target and is the only way that owning Oxford United becomes a working business model.

Next questions
If there are some serious people looking at land for a stadium have they found any?
Yes. And it's not by the BMW factory or in Bicester, and most definitely isn't the Kassam.

We are not staying at the Kassam stadium, it’s been highlighted endless times, and whilst I understand some peoples frustrations not knowing what is going on. There has been massive progress at an identified location, Niall McWilliams has been working tirelessly with local councils, and the powers that be. People on here will just have to be patient.

What I will say is, that if I was an OUFC fan living in North Oxford, I wouldn’t be moving home anytime soon!!!.

We are not staying at the Kassam stadium, it’s been highlighted endless times, and whilst I understand some peoples frustrations not knowing what is going on. There has been massive progress at an identified location, Niall McWilliams has been working tirelessly with local councils, and the powers that be. People on here will just have to be patient.

What I will say is, that if I was an OUFC fan living in North Oxford, I wouldn’t be moving home anytime soon!!!.
Niall McWilliams has been our man on the inside through all of this. His involvement will not only ensure that the stadium is a success, but also that we are never stuck with a deal like we are currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom