Championship Derby in trouble

If they do they have to go down as the jammiest team on the planet after getting promoted from mid table the year before...
After our last game of the 2019/20 season we were 4th and two points ahead of you.
5E16E4C1-93A7-4D7D-B6D4-C863E7E7C455.png

After our last game of the 2019/20 season we were 4th and two points ahead of you.
View attachment 6645
And as you well know, there was one further round of games after the table you are showing. After that round of games we were third, and Wycombe were eighth. Then the season stopped.

I never used to have any feelings towards Wycombe, any more than say Accrington or Shrewsbury, but I find their behaviour before, during, and since their PPG promotion really irritating and underhand. I think as a club Wycombe are a despicable outfit who clearly grab at anything they can to "progress." Their behaviour toward Derby is embarrassing and desperate.

Oh, and before the Wycombe fan thinks otherwise, this doesn't make you rivals, it just makes you a really annoying embarrassment of a club with no morals or scruples.

Completely agree, although I'm not sure that I care enough about Wycombe to even hate them. They're not rivals like Swindon or Reading. They're not Leyton Orient who I despise. They're not even Bristol Rovers, Portsmouth or more recently, Sunderland who I know are going to be battles on and off the pitch. They're a slightly more annoying Northampton. Or a MK Dons who've had a beer and thinks they can fight the world!

I can't wait to beat them this year, but won't give them a second thought outside of the two games.

Completely agree, although I'm not sure that I care enough about Wycombe to even hate them. They're not rivals like Swindon or Reading. They're not Leyton Orient who I despise. They're not even Bristol Rovers, Portsmouth or more recently, Sunderland who I know are going to be battles on and off the pitch. They're a slightly more annoying Northampton. Or a MK Dons who've had a beer and thinks they can fight the world!

I can't wait to beat them this year, but won't give them a second thought outside of the two games.
I agree with everything you wrote there scotchers.
i suppose we’ve got to hear about them having no money again this season, same old drivel coming out of Wycombe.

And as you well know, there was one further round of games after the table you are showing. After that round of games we were third, and Wycombe were eighth. Then the season stopped.

I never used to have any feelings towards Wycombe, any more than say Accrington or Shrewsbury, but I find their behaviour before, during, and since their PPG promotion really irritating and underhand. I think as a club Wycombe are a despicable outfit who clearly grab at anything they can to "progress." Their behaviour toward Derby is embarrassing and desperate.

Oh, and before the Wycombe fan thinks otherwise, this doesn't make you rivals, it just makes you a really annoying embarrassment of a club with no morals or scruples.
Wycombe fan here. I genuinely don't get this line of thinking (as far as our PPG behaviour). We were not publicly lobbying at all! We just voted in a way that would benefit us. The "loud" clubs were those who stood to miss out - Peterborough, Tranmere, etc.

I think the PPG incident has been twisted in hindsight. Almost every club voted to end the season and have playoffs, including Oxford. The question was PPG or weighted PPG at that point - and we would have been in the playoffs either way! We would have just been in a different position depending on the method. It came down to Peterborough or Portsmouth missing out.

So you say we behaved awfully for voting for exactly the same thing you voted for. We just get all the press because we were 8th in the table, but if anyone takes just a minute to look at the table and see that 3rd through 8th was covered by 1 point and that we had played a game less, it should not seem like a kind of strange formula that got us in.

I now see forums saying we were 10th and got in on a 'technicality' (as if someone was disqualified and we took their spot, or something). The myth grows in hindsight, I suppose.

One thing I will say is that obviously none of us play really close attention to the ebb and flow of other club's seasons. The reality with Wycombe is that we were only out of the top four twice all season - once early on, when we fell to 5th for a week, and once on the very last weekend, when we did not play and fell from 4th to 8th in consequence. So from a Wycombe fan's perspective, we were up there all season and it would have felt completely unjust to miss out because we had an off weekend. However, part of the myth is that we were "in freefall" and on terrible form, when in fact we had a bad Xmas period and then rebounded to win 5 of 8.

I don't have an ax to grind with Oxford. This is one of the better forums, in many ways. It is just really strange to hear a history of one's club presented in a way which is so different to what was experienced at the time!

Final note - I am not a massive fan of saying we will sue Derby, so you can have that one. I don't mind saying something like "we are going to look at our options" but threatening to sue is not my cup of tea. However, I can forgive our owner, as he has been fantastic so far.

Wycombe played to their strengths and deserved the win at Wembley.
Derby do not deserve to stay up and nor did Sheffield W the year before.Cheating is awed many would use

Wycombe played to their strengths and deserved the win at Wembley.
Derby do not deserve to stay up and nor did Sheffield W the year before.Cheating is awed many would use
Did Wycombe deserve their win at Wembley?
I thought that they were incredibly lucky to win.
Henry's miss , Moore/ Eastwood misjudgement gave them the win.
Sure Wycombr play to their strengths but to suggest Wycombe 'deserved to win is pushing it a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-095321_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-095321_Samsung Internet.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 18
Derby sanction finalised. Big* fine but no points deduction. Wycombe confirmed in League One (as, as looks likely, are Derby in 2022/23, given they have about 10 players under contract at the moment).

*In general football terms £100k might not be loads but if you're as skint as Derby seem to be, I'm not sure where that money comes from.

So the EFL have further demonstrated the one rule for some and another rule for others. At least it is consistent I suppose, go after little Macclesfield and Bury but let off Bolton, Wigan, Sheff Wed and now Derby.

I assume Sheff Wed will be looking at this as they still got deducted 6 points and Wycombe may be looking at legal action.

Gutless and crap as expected by the FL.

The inconsistency might mean Swindon either get promoted automatically or relegated automatically into the Conference.

So the EFL have further demonstrated the one rule for some and another rule for others. At least it is consistent I suppose, go after little Macclesfield and Bury but let off Bolton, Wigan, Sheff Wed and now Derby.

I assume Sheff Wed will be looking at this as they still got deducted 6 points and Wycombe may be looking at legal action.

Gutless and crap as expected by the FL.
Well if they are consistent, Swindon are little so should have the book thrown at them 😁

Back
Top Bottom