3rd Test England V Australia - Headingley

Fair play.

Reading the Aussie social media is fantastic
- umpires fault
- stokes is a kiwi
- Paine isn’t a Captain

Etc

I can’t help but feel the Aussies were masters of their own downfall a little bit. The constant appealing for ridiculous shouts just disengaged the umpires to their requests. The Bairstow appeal was so obviously wide of the mark that it was close to cheating. Luckily we use our drs well and they’re still acting like Watson is out there in charge of it all
.................and the Aussies call us 'whinging poms'?

me too ... working!

... though did manage to catch an occasional update.... watched the highlights when I got back (late) - even though not 'real time' , that was a seriously special spectacle

reckon England are more than capable of going on to win the remaining two Ashes tests, and win this Ashes series,... if our batting order can all get into a test match battting mindset
Just caught up with the day, wow what a finish that was. Up there with the WC final with 'whatthefuck' moments ? amazing game. Hopefully a few players have rembered how to bat in their whites, and we can go on from here and claim back the urn.

Arguably the greatest individual performance in a Test. Ever.

The only one I can think of that rivals it is Brian Lara vs. the Aussies in Barbados 1999.

Very similar in that he scored 153* to chase down 300+ in the 4th innings - and needed to score the last 60 himself with Curtly and then Courtney at the other end.

In Stokes' favour is that his innings came in a must-win Ashes game - the biggest pressure cooker the sport provides.
In Lara's favour is that he was facing Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath i.e. two of the best bowlers in the history of cricket, at the height of their powers. The current Aussie attack is merely good by comparison.

The only one I can think of that rivals it is Brian Lara vs. the Aussies in Barbados 1999.

Very similar in that he scored 153* to chase down 300+ in the 4th innings - and needed to score the last 60 himself with Curtly and then Courtney at the other end.

In Stokes' favour is that his innings came in a must-win Ashes game - the biggest pressure cooker the sport provides.
In Lara's favour is that he was facing Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath i.e. two of the best bowlers in the history of cricket, at the height of their powers. The current Aussie attack is merely good by comparison.

Also very similar to Kusal Perera's knock vs South Africa...that's right up there too.

.................and the Aussies call us 'whinging poms'?

To be fair, a lot of the comments in the Sydney Morning Herald (posted earlier) were pretty gracious, writing about the fact that test cricket gained from that game. Of course, there were the typical whingers, but surprisingly few. I was pretty impressed. The sports commentator (Greg Baum) wrote an excellent piece about the game, titled: "We can all die happy now - cricket doesn't get any better than this" and it's well worth a read (re-posting the link): https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...get-any-better-than-this-20190826-p52knk.html

Not trying to ya boo sucks you but Lara didn’t bowl 25 overs unchanged in the Aussie second innings to keep his team in the game. So stokes headingly outstrips that performance..

To be fair, a lot of the comments in the Sydney Morning Herald (posted earlier) were pretty gracious, writing about the fact that test cricket gained from that game. Of course, there were the typical whingers, but surprisingly few. I was pretty impressed. The sports commentator (Greg Baum) wrote an excellent piece about the game, titled: "We can all die happy now - cricket doesn't get any better than this" and it's well worth a read (re-posting the link): https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...get-any-better-than-this-20190826-p52knk.html

Agreed. Some actually quite poetical comments. I was referring more to the fox Australia and cricket Australia sites

Whatever their past misdemeanours, the Aussie team were, to a man, very gracious in defeat. You can't fault them for that - and I hope it is the dawn of a new era in their on-pitch behaviour.

Agreed. Some actually quite poetical comments. I was referring more to the fox Australia and cricket Australia sites
I don't know anything about Fox Australia but if it's anything like Fox U.S. I'm not one tiny bit surprised.

The real test is coming next...

A titanic battle for supremacy in what could be an absolute beanfeast.

We have the return of sandpaper Steve who has batted beautifully so far this series, Pitched against the irresistible force of Sir Benjamin.

It is a truly mouth-watering prospect.
One of the great sporting stand-offs is about to happen and I can’t wait.

The real test is coming next...

A titanic battle for supremacy in what could be an absolute beanfeast.

We have the return of sandpaper Steve who has batted beautifully so far this series, Pitched against the irresistible force of Sir Benjamin.

It is a truly mouth-watering prospect.
One of the great sporting stand-offs is about to happen and I can’t wait.
Possible return of Jimmy Anderson as well.

I was nervous watching that video, Buttler's runout, Harris' dropped catch, and I was sure one of those 6s were going to be caught on the boundary. A big shout out for Leach as well. He was described as like 'Alan from accounts' on TMS (sorry any Alans) but brave, sensible batting. He also scored the run that brought the scores level, keeping the ashes alive. A sponsership with Specsavers must be on its way.

I see the players celebrated with a drive thru McDonalds on the way back to their hotel!!
The top cricketers in this country really know how to live it up!!

I see the players celebrated with a drive thru McDonalds on the way back to their hotel!!
Stokes prepared for his innings with a knock off Nando's and 2 raisin yorkie bars, so it fits perfectly with their ethos :p

The TMS post-match podcast is worth a listen https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07lm89f

I didn’t think we had any chance to win when Leach came out to the middle. It was only when it got below 30 to win that I actually thought we might just do this, even on the radio you could somehow sense at that point the crowd thought it was possible and the Australian players knew it too.

It will very intriguing to see how individual players from each side respond in the next test.

Yeah, we've seen pretty vividly what happens when Stokes lives it up.

I think it's massively to his credit - and a sign of his growing maturity - that he's limited himself to a half dozen Filet O' Fishes this time around.....

Not trying to ya boo sucks you but Lara didn’t bowl 25 overs unchanged in the Aussie second innings to keep his team in the game. So stokes headingly outstrips that performance..

A very fair point....I was thinking innings, rather than overall performance......

Back
Top Bottom