England vs Ukraine

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
But this is Euro 2020 which predates us being knocked out the nation’s league?

My point was that if we count the Nations League, then our semi-final run ends at three. Because we already know we're not going to be in the next one.

If we only count the World Cup and Euros, who knows? Maybe Sir Gareth will lead us to ten on the bounce!

It took until the 80th minute in the 3rd game to show what we know he is capable off
Disagree. Even in the first game Kane was tightly marked, kept the back line busy. A World Class striker does more than just score.

The modern game tends to lead more towards midfielders attacking rather than relying on forward/s. As seen with Liverpool, City, etc.

It took until the 80th minute in the 3rd game to show what we know he is capable off

That’s not that long, if you were a manager you would have rolling strikers when they don’t score for 20 minutes bring another one on. All strikers score in batches then have a few games where they don’t.

We had last season’s top goal scorer in the premier league up front for us, add in his record for club and country over the last 6 years and as long as he is fit its mental to drop him.

Disagree. Even in the first game Kane was tightly marked, kept the back line busy. A World Class striker does more than just score.

The modern game tends to lead more towards midfielders attacking rather than relying on forward/s. As seen with Liverpool, City, etc.
But he didn’t do anything until the 80th minute in the Czech game if he was tightly marked and is a world class striker ( which I know he is ) he should have been able to make moves to areas and receive the ball or having the ball and putting it to good use. He just looked to lethargic and that was a view shared by many.
But he did really well against the Ukraine and if themat can be replicated against Denmark then we shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

That’s not that long, if you were a manager you would have rolling strikers when they don’t score for 20 minutes bring another one on. All strikers score in batches then have a few games where they don’t.

We had last season’s top goal scorer in the premier league up front for us, add in his record for club and country over the last 6 years and as long as he is fit its mental to drop him.
Nope wouldn’t have a rolling strikers if things didn’t improve but if he hadn’t done anything of note in the Czech game and I mean not scoring Or assisting like he did from the 80th minute then questions would have to be asked., but that’s in the past now let’s hope he can continue his form against the semi final

But he didn’t do anything until the 80th minute in the Czech game if he was tightly marked and is a world class striker ( which I know he is ) he should have been able to make moves to areas and receive the ball or having the ball and putting it to good use. He just looked to lethargic and that was a view shared by many.
But he did really well against the Ukraine and if themat can be replicated against Denmark then we shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.....

I agree - albeit the Nations league is sort of an International equivalent of the Pappa Johns Trophy

I'm a fan of a the NL and I think it's a bit of disservice to relegate it to second rate status. Yes, it's in it's infancy and I think the finals could do with a tweak (only four teams, really, UEFA?), but it's replaced awful international friendlies, have introduced a great promotion/relegation aspect and see national teams pitched against equals in competitive fixtures. I think UEFA are onto a winner with it and could expand it into a decent competition without wanting to tread on the feet of the Euros too much. I said in another thread that a 16 team Euros and a 16-team knockout only NL could make for a really neat twin set of competitions for UEFA. Also, treating it as second rate will only come back to haunt England too. They were too arrogant to consider becoming a FIFA member for the World Cups before 1950 and yet they've give a right arm to win one now!

Also, if anything, it's more difficult to win the NL than it is the World Cup. Look at the world rankings.

England's third place in the 2018-19 NL saw them play Spain (#7 in the world) and Croatia (#6) each twice, lose to Netherlands (#15) and beat Switzerland (#9).* So, decent results over some top 10 sides. However, the World Cup run in 2018 however saw them play Tunisia (#21), Panama (#55), Belgium (#3), Colombia (#16), Sweden (#24) and Croatia (#20) (and then Belgium again).** Four opponents ranked 20th or lower.

The World Cup generally lets in a few crumby teams because by it's nature it has to be representative of the world. Teams in CAF or AFC simply won't improve unless they have a few berths to enter the WC and get to play on the world stage. Of the current world rankings, 18 of the top 32 spots are held by UEFA nations so the more UEFA nations you play, generally the competition is harder hence why the Euros and NL are tricky competitions. If England were to go all the way this year, I'd certainly regard it as a bigger achievement than the World Cup (even if the prize overall is smaller).

*World ranking correct as of 5th June 2019 when the NL finals began.
**World rankings correct as of June 2018 when the WC finals began.

I'm a fan of a the NL and I think it's a bit of disservice to relegate it to second rate status. Yes, it's in it's infancy and I think the finals could do with a tweak (only four teams, really, UEFA?), but it's replaced awful international friendlies, have introduced a great promotion/relegation aspect and see national teams pitched against equals in competitive fixtures. I think UEFA are onto a winner with it and could expand it into a decent competition without wanting to tread on the feet of the Euros too much. I said in another thread that a 16 team Euros and a 16-team knockout only NL could make for a really neat twin set of competitions for UEFA. Also, treating it as second rate will only come back to haunt England too. They were too arrogant to consider becoming a FIFA member for the World Cups before 1950 and yet they've give a right arm to win one now!

Also, if anything, it's more difficult to win the NL than it is the World Cup. Look at the world rankings.

England's third place in the 2018-19 NL saw them play Spain (#7 in the world) and Croatia (#6) each twice, lose to Netherlands (#15) and beat Switzerland (#9).* So, decent results over some top 10 sides. However, the World Cup run in 2018 however saw them play Tunisia (#21), Panama (#55), Belgium (#3), Colombia (#16), Sweden (#24) and Croatia (#20) (and then Belgium again).** Four opponents ranked 20th or lower.

The World Cup generally lets in a few crumby teams because by it's nature it has to be representative of the world. Teams in CAF or AFC simply won't improve unless they have a few berths to enter the WC and get to play on the world stage. Of the current world rankings, 18 of the top 32 spots are held by UEFA nations so the more UEFA nations you play, generally the competition is harder hence why the Euros and NL are tricky competitions. If England were to go all the way this year, I'd certainly regard it as a bigger achievement than the World Cup (even if the prize overall is smaller).

*World ranking correct as of 5th June 2019 when the NL finals began.
**World rankings correct as of June 2018 when the WC finals began.
fair comment ..... my comparison (to PJT) was intended as tongue in cheek

that said , personally I'd like to see the Home International resurrected in some kind of meaningful format
- say a biannual event ( as in the years between the World cup & Euro finals) perhaps?

Something I saw the other day was why don’t they have some 2pm games on the days when there aren’t 5pm and 8pm. So Northern Ireland against Greece. Nobody would notice it wasn’t a real Euro game.

fair comment ..... my comparison (to PJT) was intended as tongue in cheek

that said , personally I'd like to see the Home International resurrected in some kind of meaningful format
- say a biannual event ( as in the years between the World cup & Euro finals) perhaps?

I assumed it was. I think some in football already had a downer on it when it’s actually the best idea UEFA have had in years. Other continental football administrations are taking it on now too.

Home nations tournament would be fun. I think football is in a better place now to host those events. The hooliganism aspect has largely gone and the games are played in a better spirit. Playing it year after year may have watered down the intensity of the rivalry too. Fitting it into the calendar may be tricky and the FA probably see fixtures against the bigger sides in Europe as higher priority. Nevertheless, with all the home nations qualifying for major tournaments recently there may be interest at them all having a crack at England again.

I assumed it was. I think some in football already had a downer on it when it’s actually the best idea UEFA have had in years. Other continental football administrations are taking it on now too.

Home nations tournament would be fun. I think football is in a better place now to host those events. The hooliganism aspect has largely gone and the games are played in a better spirit. Playing it year after year may have watered down the intensity of the rivalry too. Fitting it into the calendar may be tricky and the FA probably see fixtures against the bigger sides in Europe as higher priority. Nevertheless, with all the home nations qualifying for major tournaments recently there may be interest at them all having a crack at England again.

Part of me would enjoy it and go to home nations games at Wembley and another part of me doesn’t want to give the bitter jocks a cup final regularly. There’s not much in it for England, we have far bigger fish to fry than them whereas it’s literally the only reason they exist, come bottom of a group but it’s ok because you draw nil nil with England.

Britain is Cymru and England, should play as the British Lions. The British flag changed to a composite of the St David's and St George's flag. Scotland is not part of Britain.

Britain is Cymru and England, should play as the British Lions. The British flag changed to a composite of the St David's and St George's flag. Scotland is not part of Britain.
But the team would still be made up of English players, Bale may make the bench😊

Back
Top Bottom