Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Toni Martinez starts upfront for Porto against Liverpool in the Champions League tonight. 1234....

Sure was.
Shocking how he didn’t hit the heights when he was with us.

Some people do drop the occasional cliche of 'he'd be a great player at the next level up'. Ordinarily I would regard that as a load of B*****s. As if Ronaldo wouldn't be tearing up League 2 if he ever found himself down there.

However, Mowatt is the only player in recent memory I can recall who does seem to fit that. He was here during the Clotet regime so maybe that stymied his impact. It's curious to see just how well he has done not just at Championship level but at a side that will be going for promotion to the PL too.

Toni Martinez is such a brilliant case. He was average at best here (he scored one league goal in about 15 games), didn’t look crap but was absolutely nothing special despite having a very fun song, and now he’s a regular starter for an elite European side. Fair play to the guy. He must have a penis the size of a Pringles can.

Some people do drop the occasional cliche of 'he'd be a great player at the next level up'. Ordinarily I would regard that as a load of B*****s. As if Ronaldo wouldn't be tearing up League 2 if he ever found himself down there.

However, Mowatt is the only player in recent memory I can recall who does seem to fit that. He was here during the Clotet regime so maybe that stymied his impact. It's curious to see just how well he has done not just at Championship level but at a side that will be going for promotion to the PL too.
I think in Mowatts case it was a case of the loan with us giving him the kick up the a**e his career needed. He was always supremely talented at Leeds and seen as their best prospect. He picked up 3 player of the year awards in 2015.

He made a rushed move to Barnsley and lost his way a bit, put on weight and perhaps lost focus.

Once it all clicked again, he got that focus back to go with the ability.

Toni Martinez is such a brilliant case. He was average at best here (he scored one league goal in about 15 games), didn’t look crap but was absolutely nothing special despite having a very fun song, and now he’s a regular starter for an elite European side. Fair play to the guy. He must have a penis the size of a Pringles can.
Only a matter of time before he has a goal ruled out for offside because he was a head in front of the last defender then I'd guess.

Personal opinion but I do think Clare is a league one quality player as an attacking midfielder. The right back thing was insanity!

It is a case of opinion, I agree, and I'm only basing my view on the once or twice I've seen him in midfield for us, where admittedly he looked better than at right back (not exactly a ringing endorsement though), and his appearance for Charlton - in midfield - at our place where I thought he was the worst player on the park - by a distance.

I actively remember some on here questioning if he was good enough for us when it was suggested he could return. Funny old game.
His equalising goal v Boro was one of my favourite moments as a Yellow. That game was weird, never left a game after losing feeling so positive!

Ruffels eventually made his debut for Huddersfield last night, becoming their 1000th player to appear for them in the process.

Also interestingly, was their 4th sub of the night - allowed an extra one as Blackburn made a concussion sub.

I think in Mowatts case it was a case of the loan with us giving him the kick up the a**e his career needed. He was always supremely talented at Leeds and seen as their best prospect. He picked up 3 player of the year awards in 2015.

He made a rushed move to Barnsley and lost his way a bit, put on weight and perhaps lost focus.

Once it all clicked again, he got that focus back to go with the ability.
OOh who does that sound like?

Back
Top Bottom