Matches Face Masks

As far as I'm aware the rules were decided by the local authorities and were different for each club. OUFC fans were told they had to keep their mask on at all times (eating/drinking aside) as soon as they were on the footprint of the stadium.

Barnsley, Blackpool and others have been told a mask was not required once they were seated in the ground, but were required walking to their seats and to the toilets etc (like current pub rules).

A little unfair given the vastly different atmosphere you can create with masks on and off. Blackpool fans also seemed to congregate into a singing section with dozens together, whereas OUFC fans were forced into a strict seating plan which was obviously enforced by the stewards.
Blackpool code of conduct specified masks to be worn at all times inside the ground unless eating or exempt. Same as us.

Funny enough I went to the Vue cinema yesterday at the kassam and obviously it was wear masks while walking round the place, going to the toilet etc but as soon as you were in your socially distanced seat masks were optional. This venue is inside so not sure why In a football stadium outside it is compulsory to wear a mask. Hopefully we are coming out the end of this now and we can see a clear future.
All the news reports I have seen and the Vue website itself states you may only remove your mask whilst eating and drinking.

All the news reports I have seen and the Vue website itself states you may only remove your mask whilst eating and drinking.

It may state, but no enforcement of this. Also if your watching a movie you normally pick at the popcorn through out so unsure what wearing your mask in between this achieves.

It may state, but no enforcement of this. Also if your watching a movie you normally pick at the popcorn through out so unsure what wearing your mask in between this achieves.

Oh god. You are one of them. Picking popcorn throughout a film. Slurping your giant fizzy drink. And rustling your sweet wrappers. Probably checking your phone too.

Oh god. You are one of them. Picking popcorn throughout a film. Slurping your giant fizzy drink. And rustling your sweet wrappers. Probably checking your phone too.

Filming with my phone you mean lol 😆 seriously the whole you can only take off your mask if you're eating is a joke. You can be sat in a pub at a table with no mask on but you have to wear one if your sat in a cinema seat unless you're eating. I'm starting to think masks have little impact and the main way to control this virus is keeping distance and furough cleaning.

Are establishments, organisations, football clubs etc allowed to do this by law? I do apologise in advance if I'm misinformed, but I am under the impression that one is exempt from wearing a face mask when they say they are. For eg. If it made me feel anxious and distressed at any time, I don't need to wear one. I also don't need to produce a proof of exemption to anyone, including the police. This is common sense and basic rights in my mind at least...Im flabagasted if we are at the stage where authorities are ordering us to wear one in a football stadium, and even more flabagasted if we are just excepting that!

Are establishments, organisations, football clubs etc allowed to do this by law? I do apologise in advance if I'm misinformed, but I am under the impression that one is exempt from wearing a face mask when they say they are. For eg. If it made me feel anxious and distressed at any time, I don't need to wear one. I also don't need to produce a proof of exemption to anyone, including the police. This is common sense and basic rights in my mind at least...Im flabagasted if we are at the stage where authorities are ordering us to wear one in a football stadium, and even more flabagasted if we are just excepting that!

It is only my opinion, but supermarket shopping, chemists etc are all essential, and exceptions should be made for those who are unable to wear masks for whatever reason. Football games are not essential, and therefore people have the choice whether to attend or not. If wearing a mask is part of the criteria for attending, then wear a mask. If you are unable to do so, then there is a safe alternative via iFollow for you to watch in the safety of your own home.

It is only my opinion, but supermarket shopping, chemists etc are all essential, and exceptions should be made for those who are unable to wear masks for whatever reason. Football games are not essential, and therefore people have the choice whether to attend or not. If wearing a mask is part of the criteria for attending, then wear a mask. If you are unable to do so, then there is a safe alternative via iFollow for you to watch in the safety of your own home.
I do get that. Football is only a game. But once people are in a stadium even with the very best of intentions regarding PPE etc, there are a million reasons why, at any given time, those intentions could waver - and for very good reason. Their human rights should not differ - especially when they have paid for the privilege.

Are we talking guidelines here or enforceable laws? I have no time for people just being difficult and rogue, but if like me, you have celebrated a goal by launching yourself down multiple rows of seats, causing considerable injury and embracing poor random folk then sometimes you need a breather for 5 mins!

Are we talking guidelines here or enforceable laws? I have no time for people just being difficult and rogue, but if like me, you have celebrated a goal by launching yourself down multiple rows of seats, causing considerable injury and embracing poor random folk then sometimes you need a breather for 5 mins!

I think the club would probably suggest you refrain from that too until social distancing ends!

I do get that. Football is only a game. But once people are in a stadium even with the very best of intentions regarding PPE etc, there are a million reasons why, at any given time, those intentions could waver - and for very good reason. Their human rights should not differ - especially when they have paid for the privilege.

You're on private property, if you don't want to wear a mask, and they require you to do so as a condition of entry, and they aren't happy with your response, they're able to ask you to leave (or use reasonable force to make you leave)

No masks at Notts County yesterday, although did show some putting them on at end of game

No masks at Notts County yesterday, although did show some putting them on at end of game

While sat in a seat socially distanced away from others there should be no need to wear a mask wether that's indoors or outside. Masks are for when you can't keep distance.

While sat in a seat socially distanced away from others there should be no need to wear a mask wether that's indoors or outside. Masks are for when you can't keep distance.

It depends on their Ground Regs, we were required to wear them for the play off according to the Ground/Covid Regs for that match.

And this may be why face masks in such an environment is worth sticking with a bit longer as the best estimate is the Delta variant is 40% more transmissable:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom