Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - No.12 - Accrington at home

The mention of defence issues reminded me that overheard (I was informed) was some disquiet with McNally's performances. Whether this is of a serious nature or just one of those things, I don't know but, he does have it in him to make errors. Still young, and still early days in his career so not a catastrophe but still a warning that the defence is not 100% yet?

The mention of defence issues reminded me that overheard (I was informed) was some disquiet with McNally's performances. Whether this is of a serious nature or just one of those things, I don't know but, he does have it in him to make errors. Still young, and still early days in his career so not a catastrophe but still a warning that the defence is not 100% yet?
I think he’s a great prospect. Seems to be growing more confident every time he plays. Of course he’s got mistakes in him; he’s young and inexperienced. But I like him.

Agree with Paul on the defence issue. We don't look like keeping clean sheets ( although McDonald's goal for Gillingham was one of those things and Gillingham rarely threatened)

Having said that only 6 teams have conceded fewer (Sunderland and Wigan have conceded 7 to our 11) and only 6 have scored more.

Saturday will be interesting. I suspect that Gorrin and Long will play but Wednesday have only scored 9 and conceded 7 to date.

I think he’s a great prospect. Seems to be growing more confident every time he plays. Of course he’s got mistakes in him; he’s young and inexperienced. But I like him.
I distinctly remember being not entirely impressed with some of Dickie's, Atkinson's and Moore's early performances, whilst recognising that each one of them had undoubted talent. I think McNally is on a similar trajectory, but I have a nagging concern that the cover is not there should he (or Moore, or Thorniley)get injured, in need of a rest.

That said, McNally is hardly fresh out of youth/Academy football, so now is perhaps the time to step up. I hope (think) he will flourish as his predecessors did given the right support.

Great article as always Paul. We do have a mouthwatering embarrassment of riches in the attacking/wide midfield/attack departments and just hope we (KR) can make the most of it. Oh, and Herbie Kane is different gravy!

I'd still be happier with a tad more defensive cover though!

Agree with Paul on the defence issue. We don't look like keeping clean sheets ( although McDonald's goal for Gillingham was one of those things and Gillingham rarely threatened)

Having said that only 6 teams have conceded fewer (Sunderland and Wigan have conceded 7 to our 11) and only 6 have scored more.

Saturday will be interesting. I suspect that Gorrin and Long will play but Wednesday have only scored 9 and conceded 7 to date.
Sunderland, Wigan, Wednesday, Plymouth, Rotherham, Wycombe and Pompey have all conceded fewer but four of those sides have played a game less. I don't think we look like shipping loads but don't feel confident about keeping clean sheets.

By my calcs I make us joint 9th on goals scored per games played. Scoring five certainly makes a difference.

So far big contrast between home and away. Home av 2 goals per game for and away 0.77. Average goals conceded at home 1 away 1.75.

Thanks Paul
Yes there was a bit of rain and wind, but Oxford v Accrington in League 1, starring Holland & Kane, with that "Low crowd Tuesday night atmosphere in a cold seat" was a much better attraction than PSG v Man City, starring Messi and some others, on TV in the warmth of home.

Thanks Paul
Yes there was a bit of rain and wind, but Oxford v Accrington in League 1, starring Holland & Kane, with that "Low crowd Tuesday night atmosphere in a cold seat" was a much better attraction than PSG v Man City, starring Messi and some others, on TV in the warmth of home.
I completely agree. I’m not sure I could explain why, or persuade neutrals, though.

Back
Top Bottom