Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.3 - Carlisle at home

I cannot take credit for these financial insights - from now on for the foreseeable these will de down to Colin Barson. As I have the rights to "publish" when I press the button, having incorporated Colin's stuff, the system automatically comes up with "Article by Paul Beasley". I can't change that to add Colin's name.
I too enjoyed reading it. Can't wait for Charlton & Charlie.
The financials will be an interesting read when we play Reading then.

Great read as always @Paul B , essential post-match reading along with Oxblogger. I do think that @Colin B will have to book a week off work in the run up to the Wigan game however, those financials will take a bit of going through...
It is so easy to get sucked into it. Really interesting stuff though. A very murky world.
Carlisle appear to be very prudently run though. But as is often said on the Price of Football a football club is only one bad owner away from potential oblivion.

Yes we do publish full accounts, but the latest ones have a couple of minor items of detail missing, which I'm in the process of tidying up. But, no secret that our wages are much higher than Carlisle's!

Glad you found the financials interesting though. If there's anything that you think could improve them, then please let me know, and I'll do what I can.
I think I know the answer but will check, legally, does every business have to publish their accounts? Or is that only if they're public.

I think I know the answer but will check, legally, does every business have to publish their accounts? Or is that only if they're public.
I'm not an accountant, but I have run several businesses, including limited companies, limited companies as parts of an international group of companies, and partnerships, and I'm also retired now, so things change, but I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

All limited companies have to file accounts at Companies House. However smaller companies can elect to only publish abridged accounts, or Small Company Accounts, and can also elect to be exempt from having an audit. To qualify as a Small Company you have to have two of the following: a turnover less than £10.2m, a Balance Sheet Total of less than £5.1m, have an average of less than 50 employees.

In The Championship and above no clubs will qualify as Small Companies, due to turnover. In League Two virtually all clubs will qualify as Small Companies. In League One you have a mixed bag, with five clubs hiding behind Small Company Accounts. It means that they don't have to publish a full Profit & Loss for the year, nor go into the details that we all find so interesting, and they can get away with just a Balance Sheet. The five are Cambridge, Cheltenham, Port Vale, Stevenage, and to nobodies surprise at all Wycombe.

I'm not an accountant, but I have run several businesses, including limited companies, limited companies as parts of an international group of companies, and partnerships, and I'm also retired now, so things change, but I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

All limited companies have to file accounts at Companies House. However smaller companies can elect to only publish abridged accounts, or Small Company Accounts, and can also elect to be exempt from having an audit. To qualify as a Small Company you have to have two of the following: a turnover less than £10.2m, a Balance Sheet Total of less than £5.1m, have an average of less than 50 employees.

In The Championship and above no clubs will qualify as Small Companies, due to turnover. In League Two virtually all clubs will qualify as Small Companies. In League One you have a mixed bag, with five clubs hiding behind Small Company Accounts. It means that they don't have to publish a full Profit & Loss for the year, nor go into the details that we all find so interesting, and they can get away with just a Balance Sheet. The five are Cambridge, Cheltenham, Port Vale, Stevenage, and to nobodies surprise at all Wycombe.
Thanks Colin, I wonder if there is an advantage to being a small company account. I have very little knowledge of these things. It seems more honest to publish your accounts.

Back
Top Bottom