Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.46: Burton away

Busy week coming up @Paul B, hope you have sharpened pencils and plenty of paper to hand! (or, I suppose some finger exercises to ward off cramp from typing!)

Winning ways are indeed the right incentive for the team but also, here's hoping Moore & Brannagan are fully fit.

Busy week coming up @Paul B, hope you have sharpened pencils and plenty of paper to hand! (or, I suppose some finger exercises to ward off cramp from typing!)

Winning ways are indeed the right incentive for the team but also, here's hoping Moore & Brannagan are fully fit.
Yes, busy indeed, with three financial reviews to do in six days, complete with some Barry Fry anecdotes, and a Michael Appleton at Lincoln one too. I don't have any Steve Evans stories though, as I've never met him, although I'm told by someone that has, that away from the touchline, he's a lovely bloke!

Yes, busy indeed, with three financial reviews to do in six days, complete with some Barry Fry anecdotes, and a Michael Appleton at Lincoln one too. I don't have any Steve Evans stories though, as I've never met him, although I'm told by someone that has, that away from the touchline, he's a lovely bloke!
Yes I've heard he is a decent chap away from touchline. At end of day Jamie Cook signed for him three times, once at Boston 2001 and then twice at Crawley 2007 & 2010 and Jamie Cook didn't seem to be the sort of guy to put up with bad people.

Of all the financial reviews you have done, which club/s in league one do you think are living the most dangerously?

I take Fleetwood as read, seems like a bonkers situation there.

Of all the financial reviews you have done, which club/s in league one do you think are living the most dangerously?

I take Fleetwood as read, seems like a bonkers situation there.
Good question.

Fleetwood and Reading are the obvious two. But Wycombe are living hand to mouth and Charlton have huge negative equity, while not owning their stadium and training ground, but do have the potential to pull away from it if things align.

I'd also include OUFC high up in the "living dangerously" list.

Isn't every football club just one "wrong 'un" owner(s) away from disaster. Wrong 'uns can pass the fit and proper test - whatever that may be at any given time.

I forgot to mention this, but we were planning to arrive into Burton around 12:15 and I was hoping to go to the Weighbridge Inn. Their webpage said they don't open until 1pm, but I wondered if they might be a bit earlier for a matchday. Anyway I sent them a message to check, and they confirmed 1pm, but also suggested the Cooper Tavern, Roebuck or the Last Heretic as suitable alternatives. I thought that was a nice touch and therefore merited a visit later on when they did open.

In the end, our train connection at Tamworth was running several minutes late so instead of a 50 minute wait at Tamworth, we were in Burton for 11:20. Visited the Last Heretic and the Coopers Tavern, then went on to the Weighbridge Inn.

I remember from a previous visit that Ipswich fans had recently called in and thought the landlady dressed accordingly for whichever away team were playing there.

I forgot to mention this, but we were planning to arrive into Burton around 12:15 and I was hoping to go to the Weighbridge Inn. Their webpage said they don't open until 1pm, but I wondered if they might be a bit earlier for a matchday. Anyway I sent them a message to check, and they confirmed 1pm, but also suggested the Cooper Tavern, Roebuck or the Last Heretic as suitable alternatives. I thought that was a nice touch and therefore merited a visit later on when they did open.

In the end, our train connection at Tamworth was running several minutes late so instead of a 50 minute wait at Tamworth, we were in Burton for 11:20. Visited the Last Heretic and the Coopers Tavern, then went on to the Weighbridge Inn.

I remember from a previous visit that Ipswich fans had recently called in and thought the landlady dressed accordingly for whichever away team were playing there.
I am sure she we found out she and her husband supported Ipswich when we went in last season. And she was definitely very into watching Norwich v Ipswich and not happy that the Canaries were winning.

Back
Top Bottom