Matches First ever game watching Oxford United

Gheorghe Kinkladze was the definition of mercurial genius, amazing to watch even if it was your team he was dissecting single-handed.

Then there was Paul Gascoigne at WHL in the FA Cup.

Almost worthy of a separate thread "Best players seen live".

Was an amazing performance, almost as amazing as the dive Nayim did right in front of us trying to win a penalty. Oxford actually played pretty well that day, was in the game and looking dangerous for a lot of the game. Les Phillips was great in our midfield, and 2 goals for Foyle I think?

Gheorghe Kinkladze was the definition of mercurial genius, amazing to watch even if it was your team he was dissecting single-handed.

Almost worthy of a separate thread "Best players seen live".

Two players that really stood out for me was Craig Johnston at Liverpool who had unbelievable pace, and a young Gary Speed whilst at Leeds who seemed to hang in the air when going for headers. Although Gazza at White Hart Lane was the best individual display I have even see. He was unplayable that day and would couldn't get close to him.

Jermain Defoes wonder goal against us for Bournemouth springs to mind as a ' that lad can play ' moment

• React
Reactions: MJB
I really like it when that happens! Last time I remember it was a Man City player, and before that Drew someone from I think Port Vale
I vaguely remember we clapped off Aaron McClean in the conference days. Grays Athletic had a man sent off early doors and he still managed to net two. Was class that day and remember thinking he will play at a much higher level. The same with Craig Mckail-Smith.

I vaguely remember we clapped off Aaron McClean in the conference days. Grays Athletic had a man sent off early doors and he still managed to net two. Was class that day and remember thinking he will play at a much higher level. The same with Craig Mckail-Smith.

Don't remember the details, but yeah, he definitely put in a performance which saw him clapped off.

Can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've done that to an opposition player.

Don't remember the details, but yeah, he definitely put in a performance which saw him clapped off.

Can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've done that to an opposition player.
Yes I remember the Grays chap. Who was the Drew someone bloke?

Two players that really stood out for me was Craig Johnston at Liverpool who had unbelievable pace, and a young Gary Speed whilst at Leeds who seemed to hang in the air when going for headers. Although Gazza at White Hart Lane was the best individual display I have even see. He was unplayable that day and would couldn't get close to him.
I was at that Spurs game, Gazza and Lineker. Best player I can recall at a league game at the Kassam is Marcus Maddison

Yes. McClean basically played us on his own, his teammates were along for the ride.

I remember the travelling Oxford fans applauding Gianfranco Zola off the pitch when subbed after he had ran the game in the FA Cup replay after THAT first game.

Oxford 0 Blackburn 1 in the FA Cup in Late January 1985. I'd been waiting for ages to go to a game, but the harsh January had meant postponment after postponement due to snow. We lost, but had the last laugh as we got promoted to the first division, while title challengers Blackburn slipped out of the top 3.

Oxford 0 Blackburn 1 in the FA Cup in Late January 1985. I'd been waiting for ages to go to a game, but the harsh January had meant postponment after postponement due to snow. We lost, but had the last laugh as we got promoted to the first division, while title challengers Blackburn slipped out of the top 3.
The game that Billy Hamilton picked up an injury in the warm-up that he never really managed to come back from.

Sometime in 1977. I have the programmes somewhere to prove it. The first game I remember is v Charlton around 1980. I think Derek Hayles was playing for them. Won 1-0 and I have a memory of Ian Greaves having just started with us. That was the beginning of the rise.
My first game too!

24/04/1965. Div4 - home to Darlington we won 1-0. Cyril Beavon scored. Crowd was 12,866.

Back
Top Bottom