First timer query

MB898

Hi all,

Recently moved to the area (well, Wallingford) and was hoping for some advice. I have never driven to a game before, but given the stadium's location, for the evening game at least this looked an easier option.

Can anyone advise how early it's sensible to arrive in order to guarantee a parking spot? (Sitting in the East stand).

Many thanks in advance ...

Hi all,

Recently moved to the area (well, Wallingford) and was hoping for some advice. I have never driven to a game before, but given the stadium's location, for the evening game at least this looked an easier option.

Can anyone advise how early it's sensible to arrive in order to guarantee a parking spot? (Sitting in the East stand).

I usually park in Sandford village and walk so I don't know how helpful my advice will be.

I doubt you'd have an issue getting into the stadium car park whenever you turned up - but you might be waiting a while when it comes to leaving.

Hopefully someone more useful will be along presently.

The car park can be a little haphazard. One game there will be spaces and, for no apparent reason, the next there will be none. We usually try and arrive with a couple of hours to go before kick off. This usually means we get a space in the main car park. The overflow will nearly always have spaces but, getting away after the game is a nightmare.(getting away from the main car park can be bad enough!) Recommend using the toilets before leaving the ground!
A lot of people will recommend parking on Grenoble road, if you can get a space. You need to be early but, will mean getting away is much easier. Not a lot to do while waiting but, we often go into the club shop or have a bite to eat in Frankie & Benny's - not everyone's taste but cheap and fairly quick (book ahead for busy matches) Farr's catering run burger vans outside the ground, good value and usually reliable standard of cooking.

I think you can get the bus from Wallingford and get off at the new development just by Sainsbury's, then walk through Littlemore - but you'd need to familiarize yourself with the route.

I've always parked on Cuddesdon Way in the Leys and walked in past the 'Bird.
Then you can just drive straight off after the match with no wait at all.
Yes or Balfour Way in Blackbird Leys has plenty of parking and it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the ground - getting away is much easier than the main stadium car parks. If you haven't been to The Blackbird, it's quite an experience - very friendly but they only take cash!

Yes or Balfour Way in Blackbird Leys has plenty of parking and it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the ground - getting away is much easier than the main stadium car parks. If you haven't been to The Blackbird, it's quite an experience - very friendly but they only take cash!
I've never been there but I've been to the Gladiator club off Iffley Road - they only take cash and the place is a bit like the miners' social club in the 80s bits of Sherwood.

Hi all,

as a few others have said,- park up on b.b.leys ( fairly easy to get away after the game- unlike the breeze block carpark) - if you've time for a beer, grab a pre match pint in the 'bird (cash only bar)- there's a chippy en route if you need a bite- & its 10 min or so walk to the breeze block east stand turnstiles

I think you can get the bus from Wallingford and get off at the new development just by Sainsbury's, then walk through Littlemore - but you'd need to familiarize yourself with the route.
I've done that, you need to walk through the Sainsburys car park and use the pedestrian exit to Brocklesby Road (see Acme Mapper) it's about 25 minutes walk to the stadium from the bus stop, assuming you are able to walk at a brisk pace. The bus to Wallingford also stops in Rose Hill which is a slightly shorter walk from the stadium, although the southbound bus stop there has no shelter from the rain. However, punctuality on the X39/X40 route to Wallingford after 5 pm on Saturdays has been very poor of late, with buses running up to 30 minutes late.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom